Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Constant Burning 🥵 please help  (Read 1877 times)

LM

Constant Burning 🥵 please help
« on: May 21, 2019, 09:24:18 PM »

Hi, I'm so glad to have been added to this forum, Thankyou. I am 52 and live in Australia. I have been told by my GP I am post menopausal as I had a partial hysterectomy when I was 40 so haven't had periods for 12 years. I still have my ovaries and for the past year have been getting hot flushes, sleep problems, anxiety which I expected with menopause but no one told me about the awful constant vaginal burning! :( it started three months ago out of nowhere, I thought it was thrush so treated it with thrush treatments with no result, then the GP said I had Bacterial Vaginosis and gave me antibiotics which I had a reaction to, and then it still didn't go away so he said to try Replens as it may be from menopause. I tried Replens for two weeks and it seemed to settle things a bit but still had the burning so the GP has told me to try Ovestin which I have been using for a week but still have this awful burning and feel like it's making it worse (as in irritating it more) This 24/7 burning is so painful and I really don't know if I should keep using the Ostivin as I'm now getting headaches and nausea. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm sorry, I know it's not a huge problem compared to what many of you are going through, I'm just feeling so confused as to which cream to use and does it ever go away and I'm getting so stressed from the constant pain :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Constant Burning 🥵 please help
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 10:20:58 PM »

Ovestin works for me! the other HRT available here is 'vagifem'.  Same idea: use nightly for 2/3 weeks then every 3rd then 5/6th night.  For ever.  Have a look at the vaginal atrophy thread here and do search for 'sylc' and 'yes' products.  Some ladies require a combination to keep their vaginas healthy.  I have used LIVE Greek yoghurt with success as applied at night it is soothing if nothing else ;-)

Browse round.  Make notes.  Its 23.20 here  ::)

Joaniepat

Re: Constant Burning 🥵 please help
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 08:17:36 AM »

Hello LM, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are having problems with VA, you'll find plenty of experience here!

It's early days with the Ovestin, and all the local oestrogen products can take a while to work. If you don't feel you can persevere, there are other products available. I don't know what you have in Australia, but here there is another cream, generic Estriol, but it is weeker than Ovestin and you have to use more. Vagifem is a small pessary and you might get on better with that. There is also the Estring, a vaginal delivery system which stays in place for up to 12 weeks.

As to the headaches and nausea, it is more likely to be the stress of the condition itself, as all the targeted VA treatments are extremely low dose and there wouldn't be any systemic absorption.

Replens is not recommended, full of chemical irritants. You want a moisturiser that is natural and with as few ingredients as possible. You have a good one in Australia called Olive & Bee, just contains olive oil and beeswax. The UK's Yes products are also very good, as is the American Vmagic. The Yes products are pH matched to  the vulva and vagina, which can help prevent BV and thrush. You can find all these online.

In the meantime, don't use anything but plain water to wash the area, as soap, shower gel, etc can irritate.

Have you been offered any systemic HRT? As you have no uterus it is just a question of replacing the oestrogen you are no longer producing if your ovaries have packed in. This would help all your symptoms and protect your heart and bones for the future.

Best wishes,
JP x