Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: HRT supply issues. What’s really going on?  (Read 1357 times)

QueenB

HRT supply issues. What’s really going on?
« on: May 19, 2019, 09:13:52 PM »

I'm 57 and have been perfectly happy on Elleste Duet sequential combined HRT (initially 2mg and then 1mg) for the last 5 years.

And now its unavailable? Really? Why?

And I know from this forum that it's not the only HRT affected.

I've been prescribed an alternative HRT, but I'm just over half way through the first month and it's not great.

What's going on, really?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT supply issues. What’s really going on?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 07:34:52 AM »

Hi!  Ring your Surgery and tell them, ask at your local Pharmacy.  It is often because the NHS won't pay manufacturers the full rate for medication.

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 10:07:09 AM »

Hi which alternative have you been prescribed ?

The manufacturers of Elleste said that the problem of supply should be remedied at end of April but not sure if that has happened x

Mills

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 11:49:03 AM »

Hi I have been on Elleste for 5 years 2 weeks ago they said they had ran out and gave me Zumenon,  I was told they are the same,  I know 100% they are not. If anyone has been given a different brand after using Elleste that they would recommend it would be much appreciated.

The chemist was extremely rude and told me there was no difference what so ever I beg to differ.

Many Thanks

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 12:00:21 PM »

Hi Mills which Elleste were you taking? Elleste Duet Conti or Elleste Duet 1mg or 2 mg? X

Zumenon is Oestrogen only, so what are you taking for the progesterone? X

Or do you only need Oestrogen?

Sorry for all the questions .
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 12:31:27 PM by Dotty »

QueenB

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 07:49:25 PM »

Thanks for all responses. I'll try to answer all questions!

My GP wrote a repeat prescription for Elleste in April. It was the pharmacy in my local chemist that gave me the bad news. They did ask around on my behalf, but it turns out that Elleste Duet sequential is unavailable right across the UK, in both 1 and 2 mg doses. It's also not available online - anywhere. They recommended I seek advice from my surgery, which I did.

My surgery's resident pharmacist was extremely helpful and suggested that, as I'd had no bleed for a year, I try Kliovance continuous combined HRT. However, while I'm reassured that Kliovance is also a low dose HRT, because it's continuous HRT, I'm now getting norethisterone every day (albeit combined with estradiol) instead of 16 days of just estradiol and 12 days of estradiol combined with norethisterone as I did with Elleste Duet.

So, I'm over half way through my first month on Kliovance and am feeling pretty rubbish: lethargic and tired, and a bit out of it. I'm short tempered and apathy rules. Oh yes, and my breasts are heavy and tender. No bleed or spotting, so that's a plus, I suppose...

Should I persevere for a month or so? Will these side effects diminish?

It would be great to hear how others are getting on with Kliovance.

Thank you!

Dotty

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 08:00:22 PM »

Hi Queen B were you on Elleste Duet 1mg or 2 mg? X

QueenB

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 08:12:06 PM »

Hi Queen B were you on Elleste Duet 1mg or 2 mg? X

Hi Dotty

I’ve been on 1mg for the past 2.5 years. And 2mg  for a couple of years before that. But I’ve been working towards coming off altogether - once the ‘warm spells’ (!) stop that is ;)