Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Progesterone confusion  (Read 1280 times)

Nik2502

Progesterone confusion
« on: July 25, 2020, 10:33:46 AM »

Hi

I wonder if one of you knowledgable ladies could answer a query regarding progesterone.

I’ve read it is often called the feel good hormone yet many of us suffer an intolerance.

When you’re taking the progesterone are you feeling the benefits and is it when stopping it that causes the downer?

I’ve googled but there’s so much conflicting info and some of it I don’t understand!

Thanks
Nik x

sheila99

Re: Progesterone confusion
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 01:00:22 PM »

I thought oestrogen was the feel good hormone? And progesterone is the cr*p we have to put up with to protect the womb lining. I get fatigue on it.

Wrensong

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 02:01:33 PM »

Agree with the other ladies - progesterone is nothing more than a necessary evil in my experience.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 02:11:22 PM »

Hello Nita5691

My trusty meno book also talks about Oestrogen as being the feel good hormone, apparently it also has calming qualities so we miss it dearly when it reduces. You can say that again!!

It seems even post meno ovaries produce some oestrogen whereas I think I'm right in saying that we don't make any progesterone after we have stopped menstruating.

Take care everyone.

K.

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 02:41:25 PM »

Hi,
I have recently tried Utrogestan vaginally at bedtime instead of orally, and found when I got up in the morning it had just leaked out and felt all slimy on outer vagina? Is this normal?

So went back to oral use, but about five days later, I had a clump of what looked like putty fallout when I went to the loo. Must have been the residue? Not sure I fancy the idea of using it vaginally any more?!

Anyone else had same issues with it?
Thanks

Nik2502

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 04:51:08 PM »

Hi

I had that when using utrogestan vaginally. My body didn’t seem to dissolve the capsule. That and the side effects of making me suicidal totally put me off.

Nik x

Hi,
I have recently tried Utrogestan vaginally at bedtime instead of orally, and found when I got up in the morning it had just leaked out and felt all slimy on outer vagina? Is this normal?

So went back to oral use, but about five days later, I had a clump of what looked like putty fallout when I went to the loo. Must have been the residue? Not sure I fancy the idea of using it vaginally any more?!

Anyone else had same issues with it?
Thanks

CherrySG

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 07:58:20 PM »

It's weird because I swear both Utrogestan and Provera make me more depressed.

But I have recently gone back to Utrogestan as it really helps me sleep and I'm a chronic insomniac - so that sort of balances the depression. Utrogestan annihilates anxiety for me which is another problem I'm medicated for.

Apart from insomnia, utrogestan has reduced my RSI big time, whereas Provera made it worse. So I can play my instruments again which is a miracle as I've had to have lots of physio. 🎸 (Not very good player but shame it can't help with that  ;D)

I initially changed to Provera as got very tired on the Utrogestan. Second time around it seems to be less of a problem. It's difficult for lots of us on progesterone.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 08:01:05 PM by CherrySG »

Rosepetal73

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 09:18:29 AM »

Other way round for me. I feel depressed on it and good off it.
Absolutely no benefit felt. Oestrogen only makes me feel human.

Agree with the necessary evil, I only managed 8 days on 100 vaginal utrogestan and couldn’t take it anymore!  Am considering the coil or just give up on HRT completely!  I am taking it for mood issues and the progesterone causes me to feel crap for at least 10 days  :'(

Wrensong

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 10:21:08 AM »

The forum is full of reports of how bad progesterone makes many of us feel & it seems there's a variety of responses.  Depression & somnolence seem to be common on prog but then there are those like me who feel very unwell physically, completely wired & unable to sleep on Utrogestan.

I think it's a shame that Utrogestan seems to be increasingly encouraged by menopause authorities as really the only approved form of prog, with Mirena & the newer IUDs as the only alternatives seemingly in favour.  Seems to me that can lead to feelings of failure if the "gold standard" really doesn't suit us & create anxiety over trying the other available options that unlike an IUD, we can easily discontinue ourselves if we find they don't suit us. 

I've always said no to having a progestogen releasing device implanted that I can't control myself & worry that because the synthetics have been demonised & there is controversy over the use of compounded prog, some women may feel an IUD is their only alternative if Utrogestan makes them too unwell.

Gabs

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2020, 12:08:29 PM »

The adrenal glands release progesterone, especially under stress.

Sage 🍃

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 07:48:29 PM »

I've just read an excellent article about menopause and adrenals. I wish there were more research on this area.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4417336/pdf/nihms683524.pdf

Shannonplussed

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 11:14:44 PM »

I think it comes down to the individual and the balance of estrogen to progesterone. I don't have an issue with progesterone, but I have had issue when stopping it. Rage and feeling like on my last nerve when stopping progesterone. Perhaps if your personal balance tips in favour of more P than E, which is I suppose typical on HRT, then you'd feel awful?

CherrySG

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 07:42:19 PM »

Despite what I said further up the thread, I'm going to have to quit Utrogestan as the depression is just getting unbearable after 10 doses. I'm sure it wasn't so bad last time. Shame as it banished RSI and anxiety, and insomnia.

But it's making me so low.  :'( Also cannot control the acid reflux even with Ppis and what's left of my ranitidine.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 03:31:40 AM by CherrySG »