Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Night sweats  (Read 931 times)

Livvyliv

• First Flush
Night sweats
« on: June 12, 2019, 06:19:58 PM »

Hi
I'm 47 and have tried various hrt regimes over the last couple of years but none have sorted out my night sweats and it's driving me mad.
Recently changed to a Mirena and 75mg estrodot and still having them every night.No breast tenderness and minimal bleeding which is fab
Any suggestions or alternative meds?
I sleep naked ,window open and still wake up drenched
All my blood tests are normal so nothing going on with my thyroid
Any advice much appreciated as I know I've got a few years left of this !

jaypo

Re: Night sweats
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 06:23:05 PM »

Hi livvyliv,night sweats are a nightmare,I have a fan by my bed and an air con unit in my bedroom,it's like the arctic in there but it's the only way I can sleep

Wrensong

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 06:47:56 PM »

Hi Livvy  :welcomemm:

Did your bloods include oestradiol to see whether you're absorbing the HRT or are you still in peri with fluctuating levels?

Jaypo's air con unit sounds fab - would love one of those, but instead I keep a pile of refrigerated hot water bottles beside the bed in summer - they live on bottom shelf of fridge all day - then pull one or two in & place against thighs or between arms & ribs, until they warm up with body heat.  The cool is bliss & can be enough to get me back to sleep, though also a shock to the system if you wake very early & the bottles have not yet lost the fridge-cold edge! 

We also have an oscillating fan, sleep with windows open & wedge all upstairs doors open in evening.  We have a 1-tog duvet, which 7 years postmenopause still goes on, off, on, off all night!   I find the weight of a duvet more conducive to sleep than a very light sheet.

If you exercise, try not to do it too late in the evening as raised body temp can linger & prevent you sleeping.  Hot baths/showers too late ditto.
Some women - me included, find alcohol a no-no for inducing flushes & sweats.  Hate to be the bearer of bad news - but just in case this might apply to you.  I hope not!

Nice to have you on board - ask anything you want.  Nothing is silly, nothing taboo & you will find lots of wisdom, experience, empathy & support here.  :)

NorthArm

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 08:16:38 AM »

Hi Livvyliv

I sti had flushing on 75mcg with the merina- I'm on 100 now and although I still feel warm during the day at times, it's mild and I'm not bursting into sweat. I also use a small amount of testosterone with it x

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 09:17:42 PM »

Yes I had this trouble , no matter how high I went (oestrogen)with the standard stuff I still was having the night sweats- they were driving mad. So, the naughty experimenter I am I went back to Femeston 1mg (terrible trouble with utrogestan/ dydrogesterone amazing)to start from scratch again, but after about a week I though arrrgg i've Had enough, so slapped 100mcg patch on as well- 4 days later bingo- first dry night for about 2 yrs- I am seeing my GP next week in the hope that she will let me have the regime officially. My last blood was 1197 oestrogen about 2 months ago, my GP felt that was good, but evidently still not enough to control symptoms.
I don't really get it all, but the sweats have stopped, so i'm Not complaining