Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Have I been doing it wrong?  (Read 2107 times)

Tc

Have I been doing it wrong?
« on: April 14, 2019, 04:08:07 PM »

Hiya ladies. Its come to light on another thread about vagifem that I might have not been inserting it correctly. I didnt want to hijack that thread but...
I'm so upset with myself. I just looked at the leaflet and it says "half way in". I've been putting it as far as it will go.
 The entrance and a couple inches inside is so dry and I cant get on top of that for any more than a couple of hours at a time with estriol.. Even though it helps the vulva be a bit less dry.

Would the "restoring" part of the loading dose been lost on the lower vagina. If so, should I do the loading dose again inserting lower? It's only been 3 weeks since I finished the loading. But I feel like starting again.
Maybe the estriol and even the non hormonal "yes" would be more effective if  my vagina had already been eastregonised lower down the canal during the loading dose which it probably wasnt as I've  been putting it near my cervix.

No wonder my symptoms arent improving
My first thought was that  ive read that  the longer  VA go3s untreated the  harder it is  to reverse. I  might have given myself a harder hill to climb as during that time things have got worse and so I have wasted time doing it wrong and in effect not treating the problem which is lower down. So its got more severe and maybe i wont ever be able to reverse that damage. That thought just kills me and  It's all my own fault. I'm so angry with myself. :'(

Maryjane

Re: Have I been doing it wrong?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 04:19:11 PM »

It's not your own fault 😏 the 3 weeks of the loading dose is still a tiny amount so a) start again I personally don't think necessary as you have been using estriol for lower down b) use every other night staring the new way from when the next would be due.

VA for some is harder to get on top of whatever we do, & it's a lifetime of management of which I and many struggle some days worse than others.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 08:20:52 PM »

Your vagina needs treatment.  It doesn't get where it is suddenly so it stands to reason that using appropriate treatment helps.  Some ladies are so sore with lips stuck together tat they have to insert lower down initially and as the symptoms ease, they can insert further up.  Don't worry too much, you will be absorbing so keep up with the treatment.  Maybe every other night?

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 10:06:02 PM »

Hiya ladies. Its come to light on another thread about vagifem that I might have not been inserting it correctly. I didnt want to hijack that thread but...
I'm so upset with myself. I just looked at the leaflet and it says "half way in". I've been putting it as far as it will go.
 The entrance and a couple inches inside is so dry and I cant get on top of that for any more than a couple of hours at a time with estriol.. Even though it helps the vulva be a bit less dry.

Would the "restoring" part of the loading dose been lost on the lower vagina. If so, should I do the loading dose again inserting lower? It's only been 3 weeks since I finished the loading. But I feel like starting again.
Maybe the estriol and even the non hormonal "yes" would be more effective if  my vagina had already been eastregonised lower down the canal during the loading dose which it probably wasnt as I've  been putting it near my cervix.

No wonder my symptoms arent improving
My first thought was that  ive read that  the longer  VA go3s untreated the  harder it is  to reverse. I  might have given myself a harder hill to climb as during that time things have got worse and so I have wasted time doing it wrong and in effect not treating the problem which is lower down. So its got more severe and maybe i wont ever be able to reverse that damage. That thought just kills me and  It's all my own fault. I'm so angry with myself. :'(

Hi Tc - which leaflet says apply half-way in? The SPC and PIL on web as well as my leaflet say to push in until you feel resistance ( which would be the cervix) and actually says 8-10 cm. That still appears to be the current instructions... so you haven't been doing it wrong!

I know some women prefer to put it in lower down but as far as I can see you haven't been doing it wrong  at all so don't beat yourself up! I do it that way as well (as far as it will go) and always have done. Anyway the active ingredient oozes out and is transported throughout the vaginal tissues and as gravity works downwards then by inserting higher up ensures that you still get some effect further down too. If it's not working then as has been said you need to use more often eg when I increase my Vagifem usage just before I do the vag prog, I use it daily or every other day for a week - I soon notice an increase in vaginal secretions and is a good sign that it is working well.

Hurdity x

Tc

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 10:25:38 PM »

Thank you so much for the reassurance ladies. It really makes a difference to me as I wouldnt get it elsewhere. . I'm so glad I read your replies before I went to bed 

Hurdity my leaflet says "insert until the tube is half way or as far as comfortable whichever is less.".
But your reply has made me feel so much better about it. Especially to know that it will still have been working  when inserted high. And even though I havent seen results I can try it lower but keep in mind I might be one of those ladies who needs it more often. Thank you thank you thank you.  X

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 07:32:21 AM »

Glad you are reassured Tc but I am still puzzled by your leaflet because the one on the web updated Aug 2018 is the same as mine ( 2017):

How to use Vagifem®

1. Tear off one single blister pack.

Open the end as shown in the picture.

2. Insert the applicator carefully into the vagina.

Stop when you can feel some resistance (8–10 cm).

3. To release the tablet, gently press the push-button until you feel a click.

The tablet will stick to the wall of the vagina straight away.

It will not fall out if you stand up or walk.

4. Take out the applicator and throw it away.

Vagifem® is a registered trademark owned by Novo Nordisk Health Care AG, Switzerland

© 2018

It's really odd that yours says insert halfway or as far as comfortable! This is totally confusing! What is the date of your leaflet? May be it says this somewhere else than I've been looking but the PIL I have says it twice (about the resistance and 8-10 cm) - once in the text and once in the pictorial instructions. Maybe yours has been updated further but the web one hasn't?

Ovestin also says insert deep in the vagina....

I am intrigued! Would be great to clear up the confusion at least re the official instructions - even though some prefer to insert it lower down or have to do this at first and some gynaes suggest this too?

Hope you slept well :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 08:12:02 AM »

I have always inserted Ovestin as high up as possible.  My thinking is that the product dissolves with gravities help so coats the whole vaginal area ;-).  Works for me  :ola:

Tc

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 09:15:22 AM »

I'm not home atm. I will check it out later hurdity. Thanksx

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 11:47:05 AM »

OH! out and about then Tc ?  ;)

Turkish delight

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 12:37:25 PM »

Hia TC!

My leaflet instructs the same as Hurdity's.

I hope me raving on about how I saw benefits after a short time of using Vagifem didn't upset you  :tulips:

We are all different, this we know, it's what makes us all special  :D

I seem to respond quickly to hormones, but it's normal for these things to need time to build up.

Hang in there, I'm sure it'll work it's magic for you soon.

TD

Tc

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 09:09:31 PM »

Hiya ladies. Hurdity I couldn't find my leaflet but I looked up the vagifem website and it says "insert halfway or as far as comfortable whichever is less"
Ladies, since I first posted this 10 days ago I have swapped to  inserting half way every night and I can report that the results of my experiment are........(drum roll)......NONE, nada, zilch. No better and no worse.  it has not made one jot of  difference!!

Incidentally as I write this I've finally resorted to sitting on a cushion after blaming my couch for weeks for suddenly becoming so uncomfortable  :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 09:14:25 PM by Tc »