Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Notre Dame on FIRE!  (Read 3176 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Notre Dame on FIRE!
« on: April 15, 2019, 05:54:54 PM »

:'(

Taz2

Re: Notre Dame on FIRE!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 05:58:00 PM »

Spire has now collapsed. Such a beautiful building.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 05:59:25 PM »

:o  :'( ..........

JaneinPen

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 07:26:15 PM »

Can't quite believe it

dahliagirl

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 10:21:11 PM »

Well, that is one cathedral I won't be able to visit  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 07:46:32 AM »

Not yet.  Plans will be to re-build.  York Minster as well as the Queen's building [name escapes me  :-\] were re-built.

Windsor Castle
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 10:50:36 AM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 10:51:39 AM »

The amount donated has gone up.  It's a personal choice as to what monies should be spent on.  Coventry Cathedral was rebuilt.  Notre Dame is a HUGE tourist attraction.

Two hoots

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 12:15:14 PM »

Much more of the building has survived than I expected, the fire was huge and it didn't look like anything would remain afterwards.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 03:11:19 PM »

We don't see the amounts raised in the media.  Nor what Charities actually do with their monies. Have a look-see at the various Charity web-sites to see how they spend their monies. 

Also, it should be remembered that the charity fund raiser for 'today' is covered, but publicity draws attention to the 'now' which encourages people to donate.  Therefore there's a buffer for the next disaster.

This is in the face right now but when the next disaster arrives, Notre Dame will be forgotten ;-)

In the UK News this week:

Restoration work has started on a 13th Century monument to a medieval queen that was "falling apart".

The Eleanor Cross on London Road, Northampton, was built in 1291 for Queen Eleanor, the wife of King Edward I, but needs urgent masonry repairs.

The £95,000 work by Northampton Borough Council and Historic England was due to start last autumn, but was delayed.

Scaffolding has been put up and contractors will start lime mortar work on cracks to conclude in late summer.

All these little restorations going on across the UK ;-)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 03:31:42 PM by CLKD »

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 07:54:47 PM »

Hello Ladies.

It was so sad to see Notre Dame on fire and I can understand the need to rebuild. However Stellajane makes a good point comparing the response to humanitarian tragedies. Perhaps the donors who have committed funds for the restoration could also be persuaded to give to other charities as well? That way they would be saving a treasured monument as well as their fellow humans from misery and poverty, all from the goodness of their hearts.

Take care everyone.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 09:19:43 PM »

They may well do so anyway  :-\ or like me, are becoming cynical about how charities actually 'use' the monies donated.  This project will go on for years++.  Hopefully monies will be used wisely because it could be closed for 3+ years initially. 

I wouldn't consider donating to anything other than the task in hand.  We already donate various ways to UK Charities and our Cathedrals often have a recommended charge for entry anyway.  Plus extras for going up towers etc..

Wonder where the trees will be sourced from to begin the rebuild?  Oak or Chestnut?