Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: One ovary removed  (Read 4480 times)

pants46

• Still Struggling
One ovary removed
« on: March 10, 2019, 09:12:35 PM »

Hello everyone. I was wondering whether anyone has had just one ovary removed and how that affected them.
I'm 46, had my left ovary and fallopian tube removed 5 weeks ago. I was told by my gynae surgeon that I wouldn't go into menopause, because I would still have my other ovary. But I have felt terrible since the day after the surgery.
The anxiety, crushing fatigue (possibly had a hypo, but am not diabetic) and the cold flashes are the worst of my symptoms.
If anyone out there has had an ovary removed, can you please share your experience. Did your other ovary kick in, in the end ?
Thanks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: One ovary removed
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 09:16:25 PM »

How much does he/she know about menopause  ::)

:welcomemm:  hopefully someone will be along.  You have undergone invasive surgery which will cause you to feel tired.  Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.

:bighug:

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 09:55:42 PM »

CKLD - thanks for the hug. Very much needed this evening.
Battling indigestion, caused by pain killers for IBS, which was caused by eating food to stop the chronic fatigue. If I weren't too busy crying, I'd see the funny side of that.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 07:54:43 AM »

Hi pants46.

It sounds like you are really going through it at the moment but we are all here to help and offer our support wherever we can.

I think that the removal of one ovary can be enough to trigger menopausal symptoms. Have you had a look at the Hysterectomy UK website? I'm sure they have a section on uni and bi-lateral oopherectomies. It may be under their forum. Do you mind sharing the reason for the op?

At five weeks you are still recovering from the procedure of course. Is it a month off work that's recommended still?

You may like to also post under New Members where more of the wonderful women on here will spot your post.

Taz X  :welcomemm:

Anjia

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 08:12:41 AM »

I had one ovary removed after a hysterectomy six years ago I went straight on hrt.I have had many ups and downs since and at the moment flushes have come back with a vengeance .If I were you I would wait for a while you could settle in a few weeks and be fine but if it's to bad try some hrt I found the patch best we are all different and it might be really good for you .

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 11:03:23 AM »

Sorry to hear you are feeling rubbish. I had surgery to remove an ovarian cyst and still kept my ovaries but went straight into prem menopause and was put onto HRT. I think when they fiddle with your ovaries it can def bring on the meno, for what reason did you have your ovary removed was it also a cyst. Can they not draw blood to see where you are in the journey to meno?

Tc

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 03:13:57 PM »

Hiya pants. Welcome to the forum. Sorry you're feeling rough
I had both ovaries removed and it does take time for your body to settle just from the surgery alone.. It is a shock to your system 
. As the ovaries alternate releasing eggs it might take a while for your body to reajust and for the remaining one to "take up the slack" so to speak.

Are you going back for a follow up. Where you can discuss your symptoms?  Blood tests might be helpful in seeing what is happening.

Xx

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 05:52:45 PM »

Taz2 - I will look at Hysterectomy UK this evening. Thanks for the recommendation.
A month off would have been nice.
Had surgery by keyhole. And given I am in a new job, I took 2 days leave.
I work from home mostly, so was able to lie on the sofa with my laptop and do emails.
I know ... crazy lady. But new job, and didn't want anyone knowing what was going on. Male dominated workplace etc.etc.

Anjia - I'm hoping things will settle down eventually, or at least settle into a pattern that I can understand / manage. At the moment I'm all over the place. And I'm not good with chnge or uncertainty. Hence the anxiety !!

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 05:59:24 PM »

Birdy - my GP has been pretty good. She was the one who recommended this place  :)
She's given me Sertraline for my anxiety. The plan is to address that then see where we are.

Cassie - they found an undeterminable mass just above my ovary. I had cancer 20 years ago (in my leg) and again in 2015 (in my bladder) so I couldn't take any chances. They took out the mass ( which was actually in my fallopian tube) and my ovary, just in case.
Good news was that the mass was benign.
Third time's a charm !!!

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 06:02:55 PM »

Tc - my GP says she can't do hormone blood test because I'm on the mini pill and not getting periods. She doesn't want me to stop, just so I get periods (or not!!), just so she can do a blood test. I guess that makes sense for now.
I did go for other blood tests today - iron, thyroid and vit d. Just so we can rule out other stuff. Results in a week, I hope.

Tc

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 06:19:04 PM »

I see about the blood test.
Hope everything ok with the ones you had.
X

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 05:34:50 PM »

So I saw my Gynae today. He said that yes, I was probably having hormone issues !! He's going to write to my GP to say he would be happy with me having some HRT. He said there is no risk for me being under 50. He also said that it may take 3-4 months for everything to settle down. So I may want to wait and see.
I think that makes sense. I'm going to try and manage the worst of it for another month or two.
I've just taken the memory foam topper off my bed. I have been waking at 5am every morning. Think I might be getting hot. And memory foam retains heat. Will have to see if that works tonight. Although, without the topper I'll have backache in the morning  :-\
The muscle and joint pain is better, now I've cut out all caffeine.
And I'm day 3 on sertraline, so I'm hoping that will resolve my anxiety.
All I need to do now is sort out the lack of appetite, stomach pain, diarrhoea and crushing fatigue.
I'll post seperately on that issue !!  :)

Tc

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 05:45:56 PM »

Pants. You've realy been through it.
I had large tumour on ovary as well that's what lead to my op and they cant give you the all clear til the lab work comes back. What a worry for you after all you've been through. But as with mine thank goodness it was benign.
You sound like a very busy and consiencious lady. I thought keyhole surgery would be so much easier than open but it still took me time to heal.i dont know where your scars were but I had the bellybutton, a small one on side  ut a 6 inch bikini  it's not just the surface scar there is internal healing going on. So be kind to yourself

It sounds like you have a plan on how you are going to go forward and that's great news 

I will look out for your other thread.
Take care xx