Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Has anyone experienced dry socket?  (Read 3036 times)

shrosphirelass

Has anyone experienced dry socket?
« on: March 15, 2019, 06:49:35 PM »

I had a lower root canal molar tooth extracted 9 days ago and developed dry socket. I have been having treatment at the dentist every other day to clean the wound and pack it with anaesthetic pain killer. I am now on antibiotics as it doesn't seem to be improving. It's been awful. Any ideas when the pain should ease off?

Also, has anyone ever used clove oil as pain relief for this. The dentist is closed over the weekend so I wondered about putting some clove oil onto some sterile gauze and placing it in the gap, but I don't want to make it worse.

Thanks for sharing any ideas.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Has anyone experienced dry socket?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 06:57:54 PM »

Has it been diagnosed as dry socket? 

Clove oil acts as osmosis in that it draws any liquids from around the whole tooth/socket.  My Dad used to recommend it.  Do contact a local Pharmacist for advice in the morning, most have walk in private rooms these days.

Also check with the Pharmacist what other pain relief you can take.  I have had dental pains which infiltrated the whole of the jaw area  >:( it was SO painful  :foryou:

shrosphirelass

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 07:03:16 PM »

Yeah it is dry socket. Yeah the pain at its worse radiates all up my jaw to my ear. Having back to back ibprofen and paracetamol 24/7 which does take the edge off. Its exhausting!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 07:11:43 PM »

Is it worse when sitting up or laying down. 

shrosphirelass

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 09:07:51 PM »

It's much worse with movement. If I ist around its not too bad. The cold makes it worse too.

It doesn't seem quite so agonising,  but the pain is still very much there. Maybe the antibiotics are kicking in or it is healing (fingers crossed). But yes, if it doesn't improve I will ask about an xray as it was a root canal and he said the root canal wasn't the best, what ever that means!

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 10:34:00 PM »

I had a root canal done years ago, much to my horror...hate dentists!  >:(
Didn't go through what your going through, but I still lost my tooth!  ::)
A back tooth. So I didn't care, just wanted it all over with...
You really have my sympathy, I can't deal with tooth pain, something I personally can't handle, but my mom used clove oil on my teeth when I was a kid, can still remember the smell and taste....seemed to work.......good luck Shropshirelass, hope it eases soon.xx   :bighug:

Shelly65

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 07:14:40 PM »

I had dry socket years ago and it was more painful than tooth ache. I remember the dentist putting clove oil into something and putting into the hole. It really worked. Not sure if they do that now though.

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 10:10:22 PM »

I had an abscess before Xmas and to relieve the pressure the dentist did partial root canal.  After Xmas he removed the tooth and I was back there within days thinking I had dry socket, turns out the jawbone was exposed !!! I was using orajel (way more than I should've done) but I was desperate for the pain to go away.  Luckily a couple of weeks later I had an appt at Guys and the lovely dentist there removed the bone and finally after weeks the gum started to heal.x

shrosphirelass

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 06:18:47 PM »

Sounds awful, glad you got sorted. I had pain for over three weeks, having it packed and flushed every other day at the dentist. The dentist seemed to think I had developed trigeminal neuralgia, as the socket was finally healing but still causing pain in different teeth and the gums. The last couple of days I've felt much better, so hopefully its finally on the mend. Fingers crossed!