Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: empty nest  (Read 38338 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Re: empty nest
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2015, 08:41:31 AM »

Friends with older children have warned me about Empty Nest Syndrome. Forwarned is forearmed as they say.

So much as I adore our children I have always taken care to keep up with my own friends and activities. My children are the most important part of my life, but they certainly aren't the only part. Also my husband and I were together for a long time before we had children, so we had built up a whole life together, routines and rituals, which weren't child-centric. We still really enjoy each other's company and have always still gone away for weekends alone etc.

As our children have got older and into their early teens they are naturally spending less time with us. They go to sleepovers a lot, and spend whole days with friends rather than just a couple of hours. They are building their own lives, creating their own niche in life and that's exactly how it should be.

I certainly don't wait around, all forlorn, watching the clock until they get home again. That would be rather silly and also rather unfair. Children will pick up on that sort of behaviour and it will put an unfair burden on them. No child wants to feel that their parent relies on them TOO much for emotional/social support (I know, because I was that child) and I bitterly resented my Mum for it.

When the times comes for our children to go to university I certainly won't be hanging out the bunting and popping champagne corks. Inside I will sad, and that a part of my life has come to an end. But I wouldn't dream of letting my children see my sadness, and will be all smiles and full of good wishes for their new adventure.

But I have always understood that my children aren't mine to KEEP. They have only been gifted to me for roughly 18 years and they have been the very best gift ever. But I have lots of other gifts too (my husband is one of them, and friends are another) and I fully intend to appreciate them too.

Good parents give their children roots, but they also should give them wings.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2015, 08:50:28 AM »

I remember when DH went to Uni that first morning; after 18 months of us being together I felt dreadful.  His Mum drove us to the station and on the way home she told me that she felt like she had the day he went to School aged 5.  I hadn't even considered that she might be worried and sad too  :-\ …………

It's very brave of parents to allow their kids out of their sight ………. and probably typical that kids don't consider how their parents are feeling  ::)

Chocolatemilkshake

« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2023, 09:41:41 AM »

Just come across this thread. Some really interesting and differing thoughts on the matter.
My nest became empty at the start of lockdown...  they moved out temporarily and they never came home.
It broke my heart.
I know it's my job to bring them up and let them go but it was and still is so very hard.
They are living their best lives and I try to take some comfort from that.
I don't get to see or speak with them anywhere near as often as I would like  ... but I'm trying not to be overpowering...
I fully appreciate that they have their own lives and my happiness is not their responsibility.
I'm taking up hobbies etc.
Just feel so hollow and empty.

Nas

« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2023, 09:05:31 PM »

Yes, empty nest syndrome is absolutely a real thing.

Myself and OH, dropped our daughter at university yesterday. She’s over 100 miles away, I was sooooo sad yesterday. Today I’m a little better.

Being busy is the way forward!

It’s a tough time of life 💪

CLKD

« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2023, 09:59:50 PM »

Mum told everyone that she 'gave them wings and let the fly'.  I fled there on marrying my husband ........

It has been suggested that a 'goody box' occasionally through the post keeps a connection. Mum told me many times how my Gran baked a cake to send to College, 15 miles away  ::)  which during the War was shared by the 7 girls in the College where Mum was educated. After we were married we did return to visit because both families lived in the same village!  Mum always had a box of goodies for us to take, we didn't actually need them but they did come in handy. 

I am quite sure that they will return home: with their washing, their friends' washing, mending ........... also, I wrote weekly to both Mums and his replied every week. 

sheila99

« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2023, 09:05:34 AM »

And mine won't go...

CLKD

« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2023, 10:17:10 AM »

Is that children or those 🐑 🐏 🐏 sheila  ???

sheila99

« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2023, 01:46:45 PM »

Grown up offspring. When 🐑🐑🐏 make a break for freedom I have to go and get them back. And I can always sell them at auction, not sure how much I'd get for DD  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2023, 02:56:03 PM »

:rofl:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]