Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Thomas Cook......I hate you  (Read 1382 times)

ellie

Thomas Cook......I hate you
« on: November 13, 2019, 02:00:15 PM »

One day my son was a Captain for Thomas Cook, a job he loved. He had a beautiful house, my Grandaughter was at private school.........The next day he had no job..no pay.   Their house is up for sale.......Now I should be happy for him ( and I am, and proud) because he has another job....But!
It's in Dubai 😥😥 . So thanks to Thomas Cook, I am loosing my son and his family. They will be out there for at least 5 years, and may of course settle there for good.  Just shows how life can change overnight 😥😥

jaypo

Re: Thomas Cook......I hate you
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 04:14:44 PM »

Aww what a shame, I suppose we read about this and watch it on the news but forget how it must affect families,will you manage to visit?make it your yearly holiday kinda thing?or is it too expensive

ellie

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 04:31:16 PM »

Not sure Japo, I am not in the best of health so the insurance would be very high . My son could get family tickets cheap .... I am going to miss my Grandaughter so very much, she is 11  so a big upheaval for her too.  My son had just got a big promotion the week before the company folded.....how cruel is that.....Most people don't know they didn't even get their previous months wages either....

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 08:47:00 PM »

My friend's daughter is senior cabin crew and is based in Dubai and has a lovely lifestyle apparently.  I am sure they will all be very happy.  her Mum visits her regularly or they meet up in another country and the daughter gets so many free tickets each year.

It will be harder for you but with skype, emails, phones etc it should be fairly easy to be in touch regularly.

It's also not a bad age for your granddaughter to move.  Much easier to move now rather than when she has made teenage friends or started exams.

Hope all goes well. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 02:39:21 PM »

Once you get over the shock you will be able to plan more access to the family.

Modern technology is improving though not transporting - yet  ::).  They may not like Dubai so don't count chickens yet!  They Contract might not suit or may get altered. Hopefully they will put monies from selling the property somewhere 'safe' so that they have a nest egg should they return sooner rather than later. 

How about snail mail? with proper 'photos.?  Something that your granddaughter can make into an album because not many take photos off their gadgets these days.  Make a 'family tree' which she can enjoy as she grows up. 

There are many places that I can't go to due to anxiety  :'(.  Your granddaughter should be able to fly back to see you regularly as there are supervised travel arrangements on some airlines.

Sparrow

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 10:09:59 PM »

Two of our local Thomas Cook have reopened as Hays.