Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: travel insurance post minor surgery  (Read 2219 times)

Katejo

travel insurance post minor surgery
« on: December 09, 2019, 01:52:37 PM »

I am deciding whether to have surgery to remove a probably harmless cyst. It was checked 3 years ago and was harmless then (sebaceous cyst)  and I opted out of surgery. I have an ultrasound scan to check it again later this month.
Has anyone found that travel insurers have a blanket ban on  cover for several months post surgery/general anaesthetic  even when it is minor surgery with no stay in hospital? I am not sure whether I am being over cautious. I have an annual policy now which is valid until early February. I don't want to book a trip in late February and then find I can't renew.  :-\

Sparrow

Re: travel insurance post minor surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 02:42:29 PM »

I had one dealt with at my surgery (five stitches) .  Never even thought to declare it as it is a minor procedure and has no negative indicators for general health.  Mine was on the back of my neck and had been there for 15 years before it became infected.  One course of ABs and then removal. I don't see why it should prohibited travelling.  My GP just used local anastasia.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 02:46:50 PM by Shadyglade »

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 03:02:16 PM »

katejo .... insurers also will not cover you if you have any appointments booked ahead.  I found this out two years ago when I tried to get holiday insurance.  I rang my usual firm and they asked so I answered truthfully that I had an appointment booked two months ahead.  they wouldn't do it.  I tried two other very big insurers and they wouldn't either.  It was not major surgery just dermatological but they said it didn't matter WHAT it was they couldn't insure me.  I ended up cancelling the appointment so I could truthfully say I had no appointments booked!

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 03:14:29 PM »

katejo .... insurers also will not cover you if you have any appointments booked ahead.  I found this out two years ago when I tried to get holiday insurance.  I rang my usual firm and they asked so I answered truthfully that I had an appointment booked two months ahead.  they wouldn't do it.  I tried two other very big insurers and they wouldn't either.  It was not major surgery just dermatological but they said it didn't matter WHAT it was they couldn't insure me.  I ended up cancelling the appointment so I could truthfully say I had no appointments booked!
No I know that they won't if you have advance appointments. I am not going to book anything until after my appointments when I know that the surgery is definitely optional. I am only thinking about a block on travel after minor surgery.

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 03:17:45 PM »

I had one dealt with at my surgery (five stitches) .  Never even thought to declare it as it is a minor procedure and has no negative indicators for general health.  Mine was on the back of my neck and had been there for 15 years before it became infected.  One course of ABs and then removal. I don't see why it should prohibited travelling.  My GP just used local anastasia.
   I would have had my op done 3 years ago if local anaesthetic had been an option but it isn't. That's why I don't actually want to have a it done. Also, if there is  a long wait for a date, it would stop me taking any holidays for an extended period!

Sparrow

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 03:43:05 PM »

I did a Google  search for it and there are companies that will do it.  You just may have to pay a bit more.  I'm. Surprised your surgery won't do it under local as mine is just a small rural practice, and has always done this type of small procedure.

Sparrow

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 03:55:53 PM »

To be perfectly honest, if it's not bothering you I would leave it alone.  Mine only went bad because I wouldn't leave it alone.  It may be years or never before it needs doing.

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 03:58:09 PM »

I did a Google  search for it and there are companies that will do it.  You just may have to pay a bit more.  I'm. Surprised your surgery won't do it under local as mine is just a small rural practice, and has always done this type of small procedure.
My surgery doesn't offer any operations at all. I did ask at the hospital whether this could be done locally  3 years ago and again when I had my appt. in November but it isn't possible. It must be so annoying to be on a long waiting list for routine surgery because you can't go away anywhere even though you are fit and well to travel. I haven't looked at private clinics.

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 04:02:17 PM »

To be perfectly honest, if it's not bothering you I would leave it alone.  Mine only went bad because I wouldn't leave it alone.  It may be years or never before it needs doing.
Probably will if the scan is clear. My ultrasound appt. is at the end of  this month and I have a follow up with the  hospital doctor in mid January.

Ladybt28

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 06:06:00 PM »

Hi Katejo...if you have questions just pm me but for anyone else out there confused how this works in general here goes:
The rule is: anything which is undiagnosed or if you have tests or treatment planned or pending to allow for a diagnosis is not covered under your travel insurance unless you disclose it to the insurer.  Some insurers then have a blanket exclusion on pre-existing conditions because they make a policy choice not to go after that kind of business. However, there are insurers who cover pre-existing conditions and you must declare them when you take out cover or you must declare them before each period of travel if you already have a policy in place which covers pre-existing conditions.  The way they deal with the disclosure is to possibly to load the premium (dependent on the condition) for the imminent or possible risk if they think there is one, it is not always the case.

The insurers primary interest is for cancer, heart stroke, psych or arthritic conditions over the last 5 years because these constitute the highest risk.  They are also interested in conditions which have occurred in the last 12 months.  Check you current policy wording under "medical declaration" to see if your current insurer takes on pre-existing conditions and then you will find out whether they will cover you when you come to renew.  If they don't then your travel insurance will be invalid for that condition even if your waited until February for the cyst removal.  If they do, then it needs to be declared at renewal.

if they don't cover pre-existing you need to find a travel insurer which covers pre-existing conditions. Cyst removal under a local which is harmless is unlikely to be a difficult condition to cover and should incur minimum loading if any.  There will be insurers out there who have a list of conditions which they take as standard without any declaration.
If you travel on with a condition which is not declared on a policy which covers pre-existing conditions and something happens which can be linked to the medical history recorded at your doctors (which is where the insurer goes to check the claim) then the claim will be disallowed for non-declaration.  If you travel on a policy which has blanket exclusion on pre-existing conditions without declaration, it won't be covered but then the insurer wouldn't have provided cover anyway.

Message is always - check you travel insurance terms and conditions for medical declarations very carefully and never take anything for granted  :)  xx

Bobidy

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 06:14:31 PM »

I had this after my hysterectomy. Just call your insurance company. Mine didn't cost more (they can can check conditions from a list).  But they want to note it so that you are covered if anything associated to it happens whilst on hols.

They should then send you a letter to confirm it to keep with your insurance docs.

Katejo

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 05:13:36 PM »

I had this after my hysterectomy. Just call your insurance company. Mine didn't cost more (they can can check conditions from a list).  But they want to note it so that you are covered if anything associated to it happens whilst on hols.

They should then send you a letter to confirm it to keep with your insurance docs.
Hi Bobidy   I can't do that until i have the result of the scan. My scan is on Dec 30th but I then have to wait until Jan 15th to see the consultant again (unless the person doing the ultrasound tells me it is ok as happened with my recent kidney scan).
My question was more to do with whether having surgery will prevent me getting travel insurance for several months after the op or while on a waiting list. i have given up asking insurers questions about medical cover. Never get a straight answer.

Ladybt28

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 05:25:32 PM »

PM me Katejo  :) as many questions and answers as you like!  If you are on a waiting list for something, there is never any cover because the insurer effectively doesn't have a crystal ball to forecast if there would be any complications of an op (or diagnostic tests) or when you would be called and if you would have to cancel a trip to get the surgery (well that's how I explain it anyway).  Once the op is done then the answer is different because you can declare what has been done and the questions insurers should ask you should include questions about follow up. After an op there shouldn't be anything which would stop you getting insurance unless it were a terminal situation.  That doesn't mean to say that dependent on the outcome the insurance would be cheap or easy to get.  That depends on the nature and scope of condition and if there is more than one condition that you have and how they are interlinked.

Bobidy

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 06:37:37 PM »

Oooops sorry, I misunderstood. I hope you get it sorted x

Katejo

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 07:10:19 PM »

PM me Katejo  :) as many questions and answers as you like!  If you are on a waiting list for something, there is never any cover because the insurer effectively doesn't have a crystal ball to forecast if there would be any complications of an op (or diagnostic tests) or when you would be called and if you would have to cancel a trip to get the surgery (well that's how I explain it anyway).  Once the op is done then the answer is different because you can declare what has been done and the questions insurers should ask you should include questions about follow up. After an op there shouldn't be anything which would stop you getting insurance unless it were a terminal situation.  That doesn't mean to say that dependent on the outcome the insurance would be cheap or easy to get.  That depends on the nature and scope of condition and if there is more than one condition that you have and how they are interlinked.
I have sent you a PM today. With a minor op such as removal of a harmless cyst, I would just ask to postpone it if I were offered an operation date which clashed with a holiday booking. I am not going to cancel a trip and lose money only to find that the hospital then cancels the op at the last moment.....! I have seen an insurer which appears to offer a policy to patients on a waiting list. No idea how much the extra premium is though.