Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel and Melasma Advice Please  (Read 1109 times)

Bobidy

Oestrogel and Melasma Advice Please
« on: February 18, 2019, 10:55:26 AM »

Hi all

I think I've finally figured out how to post correctly! I put yesterday's query on 'Forum Guide' by mistake. If you have time please have a look at my Oestrogel question.

My question today is:

Have any of you had any problems with melasma/chloasma when using HRT, in particular Oestrogel?

Using CCP continuously for 12 years (18-30) seemed to spark melasma for me and I've reduced the darkening of it ever since with daily factor 50, and big sunnies and hat in the sunshine.

I know ccp has a much more potent dose of hormone than HRT but I am nervous about starting taking additional oestrogen again in case it makes the melasma worse.

Thanks in advance.
X

Overview of me:

Age 44. Started periods age 12. Took CCP continuously from age 18 to 30. Melasma patches developed. Cervical dysplasia (CIN2) from age 30 to 35 which then disappeared. Cystic breasts. Heavy clotty painful periods from 37 to present due to egg sized fibroid in uterus muscle wall and polyps, resulting in horrible anaemia on and off. Due to have a total laparoscopic and vaginal hysterectomy leaving the ovaries in April 2019.

Symptoms:

In addition to heavy periods (with varying 23-28 day cycle)... reflux and swallowing problems for 4 years; 18 months ago started with areas of numbness including face, muscle and joint aches, eye pain and dryness, increased cystic breast pain, dizziness, brain fog and forgetfulness, chest flutters, shortness of breath, adrenaline rushes, weird 'sausage fingers' feeling in hands with stingy raised veins, pins and needles / 'buzzing' and heat in hands and feet, tinnitus, difficulty with cooling down with sweats or getting warm with shivers. (I've included my coping tips for these in a previous post).

Had blood tests, barium swallow, nerve conduction tests, brain, spine and neck MRIs (paid privately), eye tests etc which all came back negative.

I'm active, don't drink alcohol or caffeine, don't smoke and I supplement a healthy diet with a multivit, Vit D3, B complex, Omega 3, Ester C and the dreaded iron tablets!!

Kathleen

Re: Oestrogel and Melasma Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 04:37:29 PM »

Hello  Bobidy and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry that I'm not able answer your question but I wonder if a lot of your symptoms are related to your anaemia. I know that regular iron tablets can cause digestive problems so perhaps an iron infusion would be worth asking about.

I'm sure other ladies will be along to advise you so don't despair.

Take care.

K.

Hurdity

Re: Oestrogel and Melasma Advice Please
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 05:27:49 PM »

Hi Bobidy

I can't really answer either, and I don't think you will know until you try. It happens in pregnancy to some women, when oestrogen levels are extremely high although I never got it then, even though I tan and go dark brown easily. Maybe if you are not taking a very high dose it will be less likely to happen? Also the oestrogen in oestrogel is estradiol, whereas the oestrogens in most CCP types are synthetic and stronger.

However if you go through menopause early then the health benefits of taking oestrogen will outweight the disadvantages of melasma hopefully, but I can understand your fears in this regard if you're just managing to control it!

Hopefully there are others who might have experienced this and will be along to help :)

Hurdity x