Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: Childhood foods; good, bad and ugly  (Read 31215 times)

jaypo

Re: Childhood foods; good, bad and ugly
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2019, 02:29:22 PM »

You just can't imagine these thing nowadays,puffing away on our sweety cigarettes 😆

Wrensong

« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2019, 05:53:40 PM »

Yes, remember blancmange & milk jelly & jelly with tinned fruit embedded in it.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2019, 07:56:22 PM »

I love trifle....all of it....🤣
It used to be such a treat when we were kids, my Nan used to make a huge one.

Banana and custard, we had that quite a lot....
Never liked blancmange.....
Rice pudding, Mmmm, still eat that now actually....

Countrygirl

« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2019, 08:05:38 PM »

Birthday parties as a child with the jellies with tinned fruit in the bottom like wrensong mentioned and cheese and pineapple on cocktail sticks stuck in a foil covered orange 😁 x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2019, 08:09:52 PM »

We called those 'hedgehogs' CG  ;D ........ worked really well!

Wrensong

« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2019, 10:04:53 PM »

Mum's sweet tooth drove her to buy, repeatedly, slab toffee so hard she had to break it on the hearth with the business end of the poker. 

Then there were the anaemic pork chipolatas, 9 parts rusk, Dad barely cooked for Sunday breakfast, the leftovers later speared, cold, with the retractable black, thin-tined toasting fork & roasted over the open fire at teatime until the skin crusted & blistered black & fat dripped onto the coals, making them hiss & pop, licked by blue flame.  The melting butter soaking into the yangy white bread, wrapped around the pork chips for butties.  To be followed by tinned fruit & evap which, if the fruit were mandarins or pineapple, curdled horribly!  Then a slice of pale yellow, shop-bought sultana cake from a cellophane wrapped slab.

Some Sundays, a tin of strong smelling pilchards in glistening tomato sauce, upended on a heat-crazed, once white dessert plate with a barely ripe sliced tomato & a pile of thin bread & butter.  Tinned fruit set in jelly to follow - usually orange with mandarins.  The tinned fish-jelly combination our mortifying (to my teenage self) family teatime offering to my 2nd boyfriend, at age 16.  A 6' rugby player with blond boy band looks & 70s feather cut, whose own mother gave us gristly garlic snails in their impossibly lovely dormer bungalow with amazing-to-me central fireplace under beaten copper canopy, at the posh, hillside end of town where they lived, with a view of the sea.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 10:11:31 AM by Wrensong »

Foxylady

« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2019, 07:41:51 AM »

wrensongs reminiscing!! My mum was a fan of toffee too, treacle was her favourite, that would be a very occasional treat. I can almost hear the fire spitting & hissing. Open fire always reminds me of my childhood & my grannies.

CLKD

« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2019, 08:00:16 AM »

Oh Wrensong  8). ........ why mandarins in the jelly?  ? posh ?

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2019, 09:56:59 AM »

Ohhh yes Wrensong.... ;D
My mom used to bring the pilchards out on a Sunday....sandwich's and salad, sometimes a tin of salmon aswell... ;D I'd forgotten all about that....also, pickled onions, red cabbage, and piccalilli...
Our Sunday evening tea, was sometimes better than the Sunday roast!  ;D ;D....( sorry mom).. ;D
Awww, you've brought back lovely memories there....x

Cheese n pineapple on sticks!  ;D my dad loved them, I still love em today! 😆

Wrensong

« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2019, 10:01:56 AM »

Ooh-err, yeah Foxylady, seem to have gone a bit misty eyed there last night!  I'd blame it on the wine . . . if menopause hadn't put an end to that particular pleasure  :(.  Must have been the smoke from the chipolatas  ;)

Why mandarins in the jelly, CLKD?  Good question.  I think perhaps because they matched the orange jelly!  Mum used to do them in the lemon one sometimes but looked a bit neon & didn't taste as good.  Sure she must have put other fruit in the jellies sometimes.  Think maybe pineapple chunks in raspberry, or maybe peach slices.  Hard to remember that far back & boyfriend's presence at tea was far more attention grabbing than what food was on the table!

Anyone remember Corona pop?  Ciderapple & lime were faves.  Sorry if I'm repeating other people's memories - haven't read back through the thread.

CLKD

« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2019, 10:04:25 AM »

Tinned foods are very under-rated.  Left for Sunday best in my day.  For when we had company.  I can't actually remember what we had when we ate alone  ::).

I have tinned peas, beans, soups, B.beans on our shelves.  Packet custard which is handy for camping.  Mum used to take small packets of spices when they went caravanning.  No mandarins though  ;)

Oh Corona - orange was the most likely to taste proper, probably all chemicals anyway.  Left the empties on the door step to be refilled.  My sister had a permanent moustaches of orange  :D she liked burdock too but YUK  ;D

Did anyone drink the fruit juice from the cans rather than eat the fruit ?

Wrensong

« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2019, 10:09:30 AM »

Oh Jilly - bless you  :-* Thanks for fessing up about the pilchards!  Was thinking I was probably the only one with that particular trauma  :o!

Yes - pickled onions & piccalilli sometimes on the table too.  Rubbery pickled eggs from the chip shop, or sometimes in a huge jar up at the bar in the pub.  Those were the days, when you could still get rigg & chips at the chippy.  Loved that fish, so sweet tasting & soft!

Cheese & pineapple on sticks?!   Lovely, but only in other people's houses  :'(.  The fruit-cheese combo too exotic for Mum to contemplate!
Wx
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 10:14:00 AM by Wrensong »

CLKD

« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2019, 10:18:21 AM »

Ringed pineapple and sultanas on rice when people began cooking 'vesta' packet curry?

Wrensong

« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2019, 10:27:22 AM »

Agreed CLKD - great to have tinned staples in the cupboard.  Like you, we always have a few tins of baked beans, tuna & some choice soups to grate strong cheddar or chop cooked chicken into when too tired to cook.  Usually only Waitrose French onion & tomato/basil, as other tinned soups seem generally poor compared with homemade, which is so easy to do anyway. 

Tinned tuna somehow seems to taste strong these days compared to how it used to be.  OH says maybe different varieties from when we were kids - the childhood stuff overfished?  Fresh tuna steaks or the pricey stuff in oil in jars is far better I think, but reserved for that 70s fave - salad Nicoise!

The only tinned fruit I ever buy - pears - & those only once a year for the old fashioned sherry trifle OH insists I make at Christmas.  Every year! ;D

Wrensong

« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2019, 10:34:17 AM »

Yes CLKD, Mum used to do Vesta curry for me one day a week - beef or chicken with sultanas - which would be waiting on a covered plate in the oven at 4:30 after the 45-min long, 10-mile bus trip home from school.  Neither she nor Dad fancied curry & would have eaten earlier.  Sometimes the chow mein too, with fried crispy noodles that puffed up in the pan, like Quavers!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 10:18:40 AM by Wrensong »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21