Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Wish I'd been born a man  (Read 7851 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wish I'd been born a man
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 04:41:57 PM »

However.  You are self employed which means that you should be able to be flexible when offered appts..  Certainly when self-employed I would drop work in order to get to appts. at short notice.  When I had essential surgery I had to give up work in order to recover.  If you are given appts.: which I have to say is really un-usual for a GP to offer : could you not fit them into your work schedule, that way, it's all over and done with and you remain in control.

Men don't have it easy either. They have us to live with for starters  ::)

Focus

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 04:58:06 PM »

I'm pretty much on the breadline.

Turning down work might well mean I end up going into debt immediately.

I'm not sure that I've made it obvious how little money I live off. I live on my own on about £8,000 a year. From that I pay everything.

I don't have a regular income. I know from experience that some months will be busy, and what I earn from those months will see me through the next month or so, when I might only earn a few hundred pounds.

It's essential for me to be able to work those busy months and work the dates/times/shifts I'm offered.

That's the breadline I'm on.

If I get offered other chunks of work at other points in the year (say the odd 2 or 3 weeks) that gives me a small amount of breathing space.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 05:15:56 PM by Focus »

Focus

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 05:13:17 PM »

Sorry, interrupted by a phone call...

So it's vital for me to be able to do those chunks of work when they're offered to me. And it's pretty essential for me to be able to put myself out there for accepting anything else that is offered.

But how can I, if I have no idea if I'm going to be flooding every 45 minutes on the day I've been offered this work?

And if I turn it down (for whatever reason) and next time I'm not the first person they offer it to.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 05:15:19 PM by Focus »

Focus

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 05:19:48 PM »

If I have a GP appointment and am then offered work, I have to turn down the work (therefore not get paid) to go the appointment. That doesn't make any sense financially to me. And also any sense longer term work wise. Again, you need to be the first person they offer the work to or you're gonna miss out.

Taz2

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2019, 05:38:19 PM »

Have you thought of an ablation to control the bleeding? It has a good success rate I think.

Taz X  :)

Focus

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 05:43:21 PM »

Thank you Taz.

At the moment I have ever even had a smear because of my PTSD. I can barely make it to the dentist.

So I am terrified.

I shall ask when I go to my contraceptive clinic and menopause clinic appointments.

Hurdity

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2019, 06:06:37 PM »

Hi again Focus - just to say again (may have said in this on one of your other threads...) that progesterone creams are NOT recommended for any form of bleeding control. We are in UK and are subject to the stringent licensing of NHS and no OTC creams will treat your problems. Please do not be persuaded that this is the answer to your bleeding problems - there seems to be a lot of talk about it on this forum at the moment. No-one should be countenancing buying such meds from Australia especially when we have products here in UK that do the job.

Also as you say - you - along with a large number of women - do not have spare funds to spend on private meds.

As I said elsewhere or earlier here - if you want to use a "natural" progesterone to control your bleeding then micronised progesterone (Utrogestan) is available on NHS and some docs may well prescribe it for bleeding. However other synthetic progestogens are more powerful than progesterone itself when it comes to the endometrium.

The mini pill should eventually slow down the bleeding provided there is nothing amiss, but can take a while to do this, but if your womb lining has built up due to anovulatory cycles (where you don't ovulate and therefore don't produce progesterone) - then clearly this could be what is coming away first.

May I ask why you had to stop taking the norethisterone? If this suits you as well as controlling the bleeding can you not go back on it - at least for the time being, if you would rather not have any invasive procedures?

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2019, 06:34:13 PM »

However as I suggested: by going to the appt. that is offered, the problem is more likely to get sorted quicker.  If you are unable to work due to heavy bleeding then it becomes a Catch 22 - what did we say B4 that book was written ?  ::).  I have monetary back-up but when I was unable to work that was it.  Some days I couldn't get out of bed leave alone open the front door or drive anywhere  :'( the decision was kind of made for me.  The last thing on my mind was earning money  :-\

I can't understand why U feel that you had to stop using the norethisterone as prescribed because heavy bleeding is what the drug is designed to ease.

Focus

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 07:04:55 PM »

Thank you Hurdity.

I got the Norethisterone from being referred to a hospital one night by NHS 24.

My timeline/medication was a bit messed up over the past few months, because I thought (and the GP hadn't told me) that any contraceptive pill I was going to be taking might take 3/4 months to settle into a routine.

I haven't taken any contraception from the ages of 44. So I had a really, really good idea of my cycle and PMS type symptoms. My fiancé had a vasectomy years ago, so there is no need.

My GP had given me I Tranexamic Acid from October time  for the increasingly heavy bleeds and huge clots. That made me feel nauseous and very dizzy. So she put me on Cerelle at the start of November.

I had thought it would have been like my previous pill (that I took for about 15 years from 29 odd, until I was about 44. I took Microgynon pretty much all the way through), which worked perfectly from day one.

So I thought the Cerelle would act the same way. 1 After almost one packet it wasn't working, still the same heavy bleeds and clotting. I was hysterical by then. I stopped taking it and that's when I went to hospital and got the Norethisterone.

Then I went back to my GP and begged her for a combined type pill, as it had always worked for me in the past. She didn't want to give it to me but did - Loestrin 20. I now know the reason is because they stop giving you that sort of pill when you're 50, so I might only have been on it for a year and a bit.

Half way through the first strip, I called her up again, as I was still getting the irregular, prolonged, clotty bleeds and explained about having been referred by NHS24. She sounded really horrified that I might have been taking the Loestrin 20, the Tranexamic Acid and the Norethisterone all at the same time. I absolutely wasn't. But her reaction was pretty full on - almost accusatory. I decided to cut her out of all of this. Too stressful for me. Not helping.

I had two strips of Loestrin 20. And this is where we are now.

I had an excellent appointment with the Boots Contraceptive Service last night. I was there one whole hour and the doctor took time to explain a lot of stuff to me.

So, she put me back on Cerelle, as I can take that until I'm 55 apparently. She explained about taking about 4 strips to settle into a pattern.

And also then, about the 4 month mark, I'd know if I was:
one of 40% of women who just have regular contraceptive 'withdrawal' bleeds from it
One of 40% of women that continue to have the crazy periods
One of 20% of women who had no period at all

She explained I would have another 2 POP choices open to me to try after that, if I felt it wasn't working.

She also explained I could take the Cerelle and the TA together. That was OK.  I also asked about taking the Cerelle plus the Norethisterone. She explained that it wasn't the best idea, as the more stuff I put into my system, the less of a clear idea we would have as to how things were working. That's not the impression I got for either of those things from my GP. I felt like I was doing something incredibly dangerous. from her reaction.

I have another appointment with a sexual health service next week. They have a menopause clinic they'e referring me to as well. And I discovered from my appointment last might that they also have a wing of the service that deals with survivors of sexual violence. So they sound like they might be a good fit for me from this point on.

So I guess it's a waiting game at the moment. I'm starting my new batch of Cerelle on Monday morning.

I cope best with finding out information and being given choices (even if those are actually a little illusory). I deal with extreme stress (like this) by intellectualising everything and finding some sort of framework to hang my experiences round and feelings from. If people don't explain things and give me that, I tend not to deal with it well. It turns into a fight or flight type thing. And that doesn't help anyone.  Me, as I don't find out the information I am looking for, and the other person, as they end up getting caught up in, and distracted by, dealing with my PTSD over reaction.

So, I've decided that I'm taking the Cerelle to see what happens. The clots I in these 3 or 4 months, I will deal with by taking the TA for the four days I can (or less than 4 days), so that I can at least live my life a little and do some of my more regular work.

If I have some very serious/important work that I need to be (and feel) on top form for (which happens a handful of times a year), and can't be clotting/feeling nauseous from taking the TA, I will take some of the Norethisterone instead of the TA.

Focus

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 07:06:27 PM »

However as I suggested: by going to the appt. that is offered, the problem is more likely to get sorted quicker.  If you are unable to work due to heavy bleeding then it becomes a Catch 22 - what did we say B4 that book was written ?  ::).  I have monetary back-up but when I was unable to work that was it.  Some days I couldn't get out of bed leave alone open the front door or drive anywhere  :'( the decision was kind of made for me.  The last thing on my mind was earning money  :-\

I can't understand why U feel that you had to stop using the norethisterone as prescribed because heavy bleeding is what the drug is designed to ease.

Because they only give you a short supply. I only had 10 days of it on my prescription.

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 09:06:09 PM »

It's hard to keep going to medics when one feels ill, tired, depressed ........

Conolly

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2019, 09:55:25 PM »

Focus,

Isn't Tranexamic Acid the one that's for short term use, instead of Norethisterone? Because the instructions for Norethisterone are:

"Dysfunctional uterine bleeding, polymenorrhoea, menorrhagia, dysmenorrhoea and metropathia haemorrhagia: 1 tablet three times daily for 10 days; bleeding usually stops within 48 hours. Withdrawal bleeding resembling true menstruation occurs a few days after the end of treatment. One tablet twice daily, from days 19 to 26 of the two subsequent cycles, should be given to prevent recurrence of the condition."

So after 10 days you should have taken one tablet 2x/daily for two cycles. Do you remember if you had taken them after the 10 days?

I only suggested the progesterone cream as a last resource if nothing else works. If you can't stand invasive procedures because of the PSTD you could ask for a hysteroscopy, if the current treatment don't work. Mixing drugs may worsen the bleeding and enhance side-effects.

Conolly X

Focus

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2019, 10:10:37 PM »

Hello

I was only given a 10 day supply of Norethisterone.

The doctor I saw that gave me that told me it would bring me some temporary respite, but also he didn't know what would happen after that. And of course, the bleeding started as before after I stopped taking them.

TA is for 4 days maximum only. It doesn't stop the bleeding, it just thins the clots so that they're more manageable and don't cause the flooding.

NaturalMystic

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2019, 07:27:49 PM »

You have to take the appointments you can get.  You either want help or you don't.

Being self employed, aren't you insured for illness?

"controlling" your food intake sounds insane, it isn't going to help with you peri, in fact the very opposite.

I hope you find your serenity in all this.

Focus

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2019, 09:04:33 PM »

Thank you.

No insurance. I don't know any self employed person with insurance.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5