Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Typical Newbie, looking for advice ;0)  (Read 1096 times)

Calmity1972

• First Flush
Typical Newbie, looking for advice ;0)
« on: January 14, 2019, 05:56:43 PM »

Hi

This site was recommended by my GP, as means to help decide if I wanted to go on HRT and it has been super helpful! I have definitely decided to go on HRT but I wondered if anyone else has been in similar circumstances and could offer any advice?

My situation is that I am not sleeping, I am lucky if I get 3 hours sleep most nights. Most nights I feel like I am internally combusting from the heat when I go to bed. I cry at everything and anything. When I am not crying, I am a short-tempered or feeling blue. My muscles are stiff and hurt. I am so tired and mentally exhausted. Today was my third panic attack – I am not anxious, and I definitely don't want to experience many more of these! So, based on what I have read on this forum I think I might benefit from HRT.

However, I am overweight, technically obese. So, I imagine that why my GP has pointed me to this site so that I understand the risks. However, I don't drink alcohol and walk the dogs at leave 60 minutes every day. I have no quality of life and therefore I am taking the HRT – no matter what because I want my life back. I also don't have a history of breast cancer in the family and understand that my current weight contributes to the risks of breast cancer and from HRT treatment.

What I would really value is anyone's experience, of stopping the mini pill (progestogen only) and then starting HRT? Did you need to stop the pill before starting HRT.  I previously asked for the mini pill at the start of my prei symptoms – because although it wasn't perfect, it did help keep some of the symptoms away. So, if I need to stop the pill to start HRT, I want to prepare myself.

Secondly, I wondered if anyone else had been in a similar situation (weight) and what HRT treatment they would recommend and why? Having read this site, I would suspect a low dose via a patch. I would normally just take the recommendation of the GP, but he indicated when he recommended this website to consider the treatment options too?

Any advice, much appreciated! Hoping to get my life back!

Ladybt28

Re: Typical Newbie, looking for advice ;0)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 06:15:49 PM »

Yep all those symptoms sound familiar Calamity! - Hi and welcome to the madhouse where every meno eventuality is catered for!
There are a lot here who would agree with you that patches are the way to go because "transdermal" hrt systems avoid the liver and stomach and mean you dont get any of the side effects that can occur when taking pills.

Regarding the obesity issue, my own BMI is classified as obese but if you saw me you wouldnt say I was severely overweight because I am tall and my shape doesnt show it.  I am just a little plumper than I should be but to be honest personally my own meno symptoms were so bad that there is nothing that would have discouraged me from hrt.  We need a quality of life and why suffer if there is something out there that can help us.

Regarding the swapping of the pill to hrt someone else will have to come along and tell you about that but I would say that the progesterone only pill is contributing to your teariness etc. 

My meno journey is long and complicated but the end result is that I no longer have any of the symptoms, including the joint pain and panic attacks that you suffer.  It's easier to say what I am left with rather than go through the list of what I had suffice to say I even had a diagnosis of fibromyalgia because my joint pain was so bad and at one point I thought I had alzheimers!  So I am left with low libido, mild depression for me, I don't sleep well but not because of flushes, and my energy levels are not as high as they might be but all is a million miles better than where I was.

I use eostrogel in a pump (4 pumps - its flexible you start with 1 and work up if you need to) and utrogestan on a cycle so I bleed and shed my womb lining.  I would say start with a patch, you must always try each regime for at least 3 months before changing and see how it goes.  You might strick it lucky first time but each of us reacts differently to each hrt - you just have to try and find the one that suits you. 

Sure someone will be along soon with their own experiences and comments.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 06:56:38 PM »

Hi there!  What advice has your GP given regarding getting to a more comfortable weight?  Do you keep a mood/food/symptom diary which can chart what you eat and when, as well as deciding which symptom you would like to ease first.

Dogs - oh do tell [I am so nosey  ;D] - we have a thread here 'dog breeds' I think  ;). What kind of walking is that, I would go out for 2 hours but it wasn't briskly as the dog stopped to sniff  ;D.  Maybe if you dropped weight gradually you would in fact, sleep better.  DH had apnoea which would wake me - when he stopped breathing; and once he lost nearly 2 stones he slept properly.  I can see weight creeping back on him though  ::).

Do you have a local walk for health group run by your Council?  Might be a place to begin if you need company.  Let us know.  In general, house work is good too  ;)

NaturalMystic

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 07:35:05 PM »

I feel for you, fully feel your pain.

Sleep,try nytol or night kalms.  I still wake but not fully enough to go into panic.

Try it xx

lesley998

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 09:20:25 PM »

Hello!

Sorry to hear your woes! You have come to the right place.

Sleep (or lack of) was ruining and ruling  my life.

I now take a 3mg melatonin, together with half a tab of sleep aid (docylamine succinate) every night.   GP confirms no problems or long lasting effects unlike sleeping tablets. Out like a light, ten hours every night.

Bliss