Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: This is ALTERNATIVES section NOT Hrt!!!  (Read 8762 times)

AgathaC

Re: This is ALTERNATIVES section NOT Hrt!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 12:22:55 PM »

I take Starflower oil rather than Evening Primrose oil.
Both oils are very rich sources of GLA, Gamma Linolenic Acid.
The only difference between the two is that starflower contains twice the amount of concentration. In fact, starflower is the highest natural plant based source of GLA.
Evening Primrose is native to the USA and Starflower is Borage which is a European plant. It has pretty blue star shaped flowers and is commonish in the Mediterranean.
I suffer with very sore, tender, lumpy hormonal breasts, with the inflammation radiating out to my armpits.
It was in fact my breast doctor who told me to take the Starflower oil. You must take it every day and after a few weeks my boobs definitely felt better.
Anyway, I have continued with it and it is the basis of my trusted cocktail of supplements (the others I am still experimenting with!).
There is lots research to show that GLA helps with joint problems, rheumatoid arthritis.
If you love Evening Primrose, stick with it but just thought you might like the Starflower thoughts xx

Dierdre

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 02:18:12 PM »

I'm resided to the fact I will need local oestrogen everyday for my atrophy and use the YES moisturisers too but sometimes this is still not enough, I'm on maximum dosage and I didn't get on with full HRT. Having a flare up at the moment and back on steroid cream for a couple of weeks. Ive tried coconut oil, that irritates. Anyone know of anything just for atrophy please that's alternative?

Tc

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 02:36:38 PM »

Thanks for the advice I had a look today and saw one which was evening primrose and Starflower.

I also saw the 7 seas perfect 7 women 50 plus but it's got DHA and I'm not sure if it's ok to take that with systemic HRt.

The Starflower interests me because I too have painful lumpy boobs  I had it when I was younger and scans showed my breasts were full of cysts. The doc told it would ease as I got older and indeed it did. But hey Presto since starting Hrt it's back 
Surgical meno is a nightmare. All these symptoms hit me at once. In less than 6 months I have gone from taking nothing but an antihistamine for hayfever to watching my medicine cabinet fill up.

I've made an appointment with optician before I  start on anything for my eyes as my mum has glaucoma.best to get a check.

Deirdre I'm sorry your suffering at moment. I have been using estriol for 3 weeks. I tried to go down to twice after 2 weeks but the symptoms came back. It literally only seems to work for about 12 hours  so I'd be interested to know if anyone can answer your question and hope you find some advice.

Shadyglade

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 02:43:13 PM »

Hi Deidre,  sorry I can't help with this one but I am sure someone will.

I would start a now thread as it may be missed on this one.

Have you tried 'search' on here. There may be an older thread.

Droopeydrawers

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 03:52:56 PM »

Hi Deidre a very good alternative to hormone treatment is hyalofemme it's a long lasting non hormonal vaginal moisturiser with no parabens or perfumes.i personally found it very pleasant to use and had no issues with it.you can buy on Amazon and im sure boots stock it too.its around a tenner but lasts a while depending on your needs I suppose.good luck I hope you get something that suits you soon.DD😘

Dierdre

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 05:19:57 PM »

Thanks Droopeydrawers, not heard of that one before so will give in a try.

Dierdre

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 05:24:54 PM »

Tc, by estriol do you mean Ovestin, if so I use that everyday too.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 06:07:44 PM »

There are several threads about atrophy on the Forum.  Sufferers do get on with 'yes' and another product - name escapes me  :-\ Got it, 'sylc' - as well as using localised HRT which plumps up the vaginal area; this helps to stop itchiness and urine infection-type symptoms.  Because this type of hormone replacement therapy is such a small amount it is unlikely to be problematic for anyone worrying about it affecting the breasts. I had treatment for breast disease and my GP never hesitated in prescribing Ovestin for regular use.

Hurdity

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2019, 10:14:32 AM »

Can certain ladies please stop bashing others advice re Alternatives to Hrt, it is neither helpful or polite AND you do not know everything!!

This website forum is for all things menopause not just HRT

No wonder I don't post!!

Hi there sweettooth - not sure what has upset you? However as with all parts of the forum - this section is a mixture of questions asking for opinions, women giving advice, women offering their personal experiences and women giving information about scientific evidence for particular treatments. They're all valid! It is not "bashing" to offer a counter argument, or evidence - provided of course that this is done politely and with respect as with all posts on the forum! None of the responses I've seen have been impolite even when they disagree with what has been posted. It is an open forum....

As for the content - as you will see from the thread titles in this section - many of the subjects have been posted in the wrong place anyway - some are personal stories nothing to do with menopause, and many are about subjects that probably beling better in "Other Health Issues" - eg general posts about vitamins and supplements. However I think we are all a pretty tolerant lot and the admins are quite busy so we don't keep notifying them (admins) about threads being which should be moved. Also many of the posts overlap and talk about HRT as well as alternative treatments to HRT - so may well end up here!

Hope you are feeling well today :)

Hurdity x

Edited for clarification!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 06:36:30 PM by Hurdity »

Shadyglade

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2019, 02:32:22 PM »

I wondered that   :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2019, 06:34:56 PM »

Haha - that's hilarious - amazing how what you write can be read differently - the "we"  refers to us the members!! As in We (the members) don't keep notifying the Admins about threads being in the wrong place! If I had put in the word "them" it would have been clearer!

Hasty - If you delete your post - which has nothing to do with the subject - I'll edit mine for clarity.

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2019, 08:45:17 PM »

Oh Hurdity - I was wondering how long it would be before you came along to comment on this thread - despite having been asked by the OP not to do so. The reason I phrased my post as I did was because I felt it sounded better than asking why you persist in commenting on the Alternatives section other than to deride those who post.

This comment is  unnecessary, unture and extremely rude. I am very offended and I have reported it.

I rarely have time to read many of the threads but the title of this one stared out at me when I visited the board today and felt it prompted a response as it was trying to warn people off, so for new members especially it warranted a response clarifying that those who respond to calls for opinions about treatments and provide evidence suggesting they may not be effective - are not "bashing" others.

To repeat, this board is for anyone who wants to contribute to the discussion - and to reiterate what I said before - provided comments remain polite and respectful (they don't need to be gushing!) then there is always a place for rational counter argument - and this was recognised when the board was set up. Rational counter argument by me or anyone is not the same as derision and it is unreasonable to suggest that it is and to try to bully people off.

Hurdity x

AgathaC

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2019, 09:08:02 PM »

Anyone made the switch from Evening Primrose to Starflower Oil yet? X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2019, 10:06:12 PM »

Years++ ago Evening Primrose was recommended for PMT.  I don't think that star flower oil existed in those days.  Is rubbed on or taken?

I grow evening primrose plants - they reach 4ft tall, lots of lovely pale yellow flowers that un-furl at dusk, so slowly that I can watch them  8).  They attract insects.  They also have lots of pods FILLED with seeds so when pulled out of the ground, the seeds scatter everywhere  ::).  I haven't successfully grown the low lying variety though.  Again, moths flock to them.

dangermouse

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2019, 04:16:57 PM »

I think it's fine to say that an alternative, a drug or an HRT didn't work for you but it is unnecessary to try to put others off of trying it.

I certainly wouldn't go into the HRT threads and post some of the research and articles that say it's harmful or may not work for certain symptoms, as this could scare/put off those that use it.

Reading people's actual experiences though can give an idea of effectiveness. However, just because one thing hasn't worked for you it doesn't mean someone else will have the same reaction.

Alot of drugs and alternatives also have a level of placebo effect and we don't want to affect that by assuming things won't work. Paracetamol has a high placebo rate but for some they now don't find it works because they have decided it won't. The mind is a very powerful convincer!
Pages: 1 [2] 3