Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bugger... blood test shows high cholesterol [and I had my HA totally under contr  (Read 4974 times)

NorthArm

Lol, Conolly
I just did the updated test, and my risk has dropped to 5.2%.....I'm going to point the gp in that direction xx

Conolly

Hello NorthArm,

Any news on the cholesterol front?

Conolly X

NorthArm

Hi Conolly

I've not had the test yet lol...am thinking I might do it next week, just before hols xx

Conolly

That's wise... after hols your levels would probably spike  ;D  Let me know how it goes, I'm very interested in the subject.

Conolly X

Winterose

From what I've read about statins they don't reduce risks of heart attacks and strokes for women and your body needs cholesterol , evidence for men is once they've had a heart issue they reduce chance of a second occurrence but that may be to do with them embracing healthier life styles

Kathleen

Hello ladies.

A friend of mine had a heart attack at age 52 was found to have high cholesterol due to a genetic condition. He was prescribed statins and altered his lifestyle  and has been well for almost twenty years. For the rest of us cholesterol can be reduced by dietary and other changes as I understand it.

Take care everyone.

K.

Shadyglade

Winterose I agree with you. Dr. Malcolm Kendicks book, 'The Great Cholesterol Con', illustrated this very well. I recommend that people check out his website, if they have concerns about statins.

Conolly

Hello ladies,

I have been prescribed statins and refused to take them. I have cut a bit of carbs and been taking veggie DHA (from algae) and will have another blood test in 3 months. Wish me luck!

Conolly X

Kathleen

Hello again ladies.

Conolly - it will be interesting to see what effect your lifestyle changes have on your cholesterol. Please keep us updated.

Take care.

K.

Conolly

Hello Kathleen,

Will certainly do  ;)

Wishing you well.

Conolly X

annieb

Had similar experience recently where cholesterol was measured at over 7 when it had previously been around 6.  Doctor said not to panic as my diet was fairly healthy and not overweight.  they calculate your risk of heart attack apparently based on the various tests and mine was less than 5% (would have like ZERO!!) Some people as they get older as just made that way.  She did say I must take more exercise (I certainly do not do enough and have quite a sedentary job). suggested Benecol (though in a round about way to avoid using a brand name  ;D) but last time I took that I came out in a rash due to reaction with the plant sterols.  Also suggested oat bran or porridge HATE porridge so now have 3 desert spoonfuls of Mornflake OATBRAN (slightly different to porridge) on my usual nutty low sugar cereal/All Bran combo  with semi-skimmed milk in the morning.  Fills me up till lunchtime so no snacking mid morning and quite tasty too (And I'm very regular  :o) - so we'll see in 12 months time if it works

Shadyglade

Your GP sounds a lot like mine.  Very laid back about cholesterol and does not push statins.

annieb

Yes she is - no mention of statins at all even with hubby who has always suffered with high blood pressure.  Her way seems to be diet (healthy eating rather than faddy diets  ) and exercise .  It has certainly worked for him - he does take medication for his HBP but not as strong as it used to be and has lost  his excess weight (slowly over a 2 year period) which has helped too
Pages: 1 [2]