Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: 3 years post menopause spotting  (Read 1822 times)

Jax2311

3 years post menopause spotting
« on: February 01, 2019, 10:32:25 PM »

Evening all

I haven't had a period for 3 years and been having horrendous hot flushes. In fact it's been over 2 years since I had a full nights sleep.

I'm not on any HRT as i have high blood pressure so wanted to avoid anymore tablets.

Since Christmas i have had a couple of small bleeds and in last 2 weeks feeling bloated.  Now I am getting really weird lower back pains so I phoned the doctor who arranged for a ca125 test and urgent appointment at the hospital. Blood tests done and I'm waiting on results and waiting on the hospital appt.

Any thoughts on what appointment at hospital will involve?

I have to admit I'm petrified but to cap this all off, my hot flushes seemed to have nearly stopped, im getting more discharge and now sore nipples.

What the heck is going on with my body?

I wish someone would have warned me how grim this menopause stuff is and how long does this go on. All I hear on TV is how wonderful this time of life is.  Whilst I feel terrible

Thank you for any thoughts or similar experiences

Jax2311

Conolly

Re: 3 years post menopause spotting
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 11:47:10 PM »

Hello Jax2311,

Another possibility is an ovarian cyst which can occur postmenopause. Your doctor has to rule out cancer hence the CA125 test, but ovarian cancer is rare, while ovarian cysts are extremely common.

What sort of discharge are you experiencing? Have you ever been on birth control pills?

How long does menopause go on? Well, post menopause is for life, but the symptoms will ease with time for some women while others will suffer for decades, it's a unique experience for each woman.

Conolly X

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 05:15:42 PM »

Hi Jax2311

:welcomemm:

The decrease in hot flushes is indicative that your oestrogen might have risen and this could be due to an ovarian cyst (?) as mentioned - if they produce oestrogen post-menopausally, or that you have ovulated again?

You haven't said how old you are - but if you are very young and not close to the average age of menopause of 51/52 then ovarian activity and ovulation can spontaneously resume. This is less likely the older you are.

As Birdy says the hospital appointment is likely to involve a scan or two - this will assess your endometrium - condition and thickness and look at your ovaries - again to check their size and condition. Your appointment letter will tell you when it comes. The scans itself - if this is what you are going to have - are nothing to worry about - I've also had them.  The scans do not involve a camera as they are ultrasound. However in view of the bleeding they might also want to do a hysteroscopy which is a different procedure from the scans  - this is where a very small camera is inserted through the cervix to examine the womb lining for any abnormalities and sometimes a biopsy is taken (I've ahd this too!). This might not all be done on the same day eg the scans might be done first and then the next step will depend on the outcome of these. There may also be something else completely that I'm not familiar with!

Above all try not to worry and look after yourself until your appointment.

Hurdity x

Jax2311

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 11:48:51 PM »

Ladies, thank you for your replies. It's been helpful to know what might happen.  I didn't get a chance to ask the doctor as it was just a phone consultation.
I guess It's a waiting game till the appointment comes through

Jax2311

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 07:33:24 PM »

Evening all

Update.  I've had my CA125 tests and results came back no further action required.

So today I attended hospital for my Hysteroscopy appointment.  The scans shown a load of fluid in the Uterus which the doctor has drained.  I had noticed some discharge when going to the doctor.

The doctor also did a biopsy on the cervix and womb. He also wants me to have an MRI scan which is scaring the hell out of me. Not the scan but the reasons for it.

Has anyone out the had this fluid? or MRI?

I can't help but think it's something serious for the NHS to fork out for an MIR.

Thanks for any thoughts comments and apologies for being so pathetic worrying.

suzysunday

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 07:49:52 PM »

Hope someone can help you on here about the fluid and MRI. Just wanted to wish you all the best and there is no need to apologies and you aren't pathetic. I had post meno bleeding last year and scans and biopsy.  I was worried myself into such a state it was all so traumatic.  I'm still worried now about what my body might do next.

Jeepers

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 11:38:37 AM »

Hi Jax

I don't have any knowledgeable advice, but just wanted to wish you well, have you had a date for your MRI yet?

I am waiting for a gynae appointment for post Meno bleeding, and am really scared too, so I can completely empathise with you

Jeepers x