Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Reduced visits to the loo during the night - benefit of vagifem  (Read 1787 times)

Katejo

Reduced visits to the loo during the night - benefit of vagifem
« on: December 05, 2018, 02:10:38 PM »

After using vagifem since mid September I have just started noticing that I am sleeping better. Previously I was getting up at least once a night and sometimes twice (more when I had a UTI) but I have just started sleeping right through. I remember the urogynaecologist particularly asking about whether I had this problem at my recent appointment.  I hadn't had this improvement by then.
Has anyone else noticed this with Vagifem?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Reduced visits to the loo during the night - benefit of vagifem
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 02:33:28 PM »

I hope that they have.  Localised treatment for vaginal atrophy has lots of benefits, this being one: a decrease in visits to the loo over all.

Tnx for letting us know  :thankyou:

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 06:16:51 PM »

Yep, me. Often don't have to get up for a loo visit now, although do occasionally need one trip. Luckily I usually get back to sleep. This is an improvement on getting up twice and sometimes staying awake after the 5.30 visit. I use Vagifem most nights and also have an Estring.
JP x

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 09:13:04 PM »

Yep, me. Often don't have to get up for a loo visit now, although do occasionally need one trip. Luckily I usually get back to sleep. This is an improvement on getting up twice and sometimes staying awake after the 5.30 visit. I use Vagifem most nights and also have an Estring.
JP x
Yes I have had many occasions of waking between about 3.30 and 5.30 AM and being unable to get back to sleep. Today I woke and thought 'Damn' but it was actually already nearly 7am not 5am. Hopefully it will last.

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 10:55:18 AM »

Katejo did you ever feel in the early days that the Vagifem was causing irritation?

I'm asking because I've tried it on a couple of occasions but given up after a few days as I felt it was making me uncomfortable.

I'm just wondering (because you're reporting good results a few months after starting) whether I've given up too soon.  I don't get UTI's but I do get spells where I feel I need to pee too often and its a nuisance.
Hi Stellajane  Yes I had moments when I wasn't at all sure. I didn't get any problems initially (during the first 2 weeks when I used it daily). then symptoms crept back when I dropped to twice or 3 times a week. I put that down to less frequent use and went back to daily. However, in the next few days, I was really sore inside and began to wonder whether it was a reaction to the Vagifem. I was disappointed because I wanted it to work. At that time, I also read comments from one or two others who were having a similar problem so it made me wonder. I took a couple of doses of bicarb of soda dissolved in water and the soreness cleared up completely. I half expected it to return but it hasn't. That was two weeks ago. Since then I have been using Vagifem most days (not quite all because of the problem with getting further prescriptions) and I haven't had any more irritation/soreness.

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 11:55:33 AM »

Yes that sounds similar. When I've tried a 14 day load up I feel less uncomfortable towards the end of the two weeks, but then as soon as I have a gap and restart the discomfort is there again. I'd like to use it as I've cut down on my systemic HRT dosage and feel it would be a positive addition.

I sometimes use those sachets for cystitis you can buy which are basically bicarb and they really help.
I have got a packet of those sachets but they aren't cheap. My kitchen bicarb does the same job.  My symptoms have crept back a bit now after not using the Vagifem for a couple of days and I didn't sleep as well last night. I will definitely use vagifem tonight.  I haven't yet tried any systemic HRT but am considering it. The urogynae doctor who saw me said she would recommend a referral to a meno clinic but I don't think the GP has received her letter yet. I will find out in a couple of weeks when I have an appt.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 05:15:50 PM »

Sometimes if the vagina is dry then it can feel irritated.  Occasionally ladies are sensitive the covering or 'fillers', not the active ingredient.  Grandma swore by bicarb of soda for burns ........ she would make it into a paste and apply.

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 07:13:19 PM »

Yes that sounds similar. When I've tried a 14 day load up I feel less uncomfortable towards the end of the two weeks, but then as soon as I have a gap and restart the discomfort is there again. I'd like to use it as I've cut down on my systemic HRT dosage and feel it would be a positive addition.

I sometimes use those sachets for cystitis you can buy which are basically bicarb and they really help.
Hi Stellajane  My cystitis like symptoms have come back in the past few days. i was on a  work course today and had to go to the loo during every break. I am hoping that this is just because I had to cut down on the frequency of using  Vagifem to avoid running out before my GP appt. next week. I can, thanks to Birdy sending me a spare pack, return to using them daily. I got the spare in the post today. I went back to daily 2 days ago but that may not be enough.

I do have a packet of the cystitis powder but have just been using the bicarb and water option.

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 07:15:49 PM »

Sometimes if the vagina is dry then it can feel irritated.  Occasionally ladies are sensitive the covering or 'fillers', not the active ingredient.  Grandma swore by bicarb of soda for burns ........ she would make it into a paste and apply.
I think I reacted to the filler with Estriol. I hoped that Vagifem wouldn't be as bad because it isn't a cream in the same way and stays inside  much better. i will have to try it a bit longer to see. Some days it appears to work really well.