Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Non Totally a Newbie but......  (Read 766 times)

LellyM

Non Totally a Newbie but......
« on: December 10, 2018, 01:05:47 PM »

Hi folks,

I am not strictly speaking a newbie as I joined the forum some time ago but finally, today, the GP has agreed I am menopausal. Sounds crazy but previously the GP has taken one look, done a blood test and announced "you are too young" (nice to heat at 52 but...).

So, today I saw a new GP and she actually listened to my symptoms and agreed it is probably correct (think no periods for 4 years is a good indicator).

Yay. She gave me some good advice (including visiting this site) and actually listened to what I was saying. Was surprised she didn't try and push me down the HRT route as I don't feel I need it at the moment. But she did suggest some vitamin supplements and scheduled yet another blood test to make sure my thyroid isn't on the fritz as well.

So here we go. So far, it does look like I am going to be one of the lucky people whose symptoms are relatively mild. It they get worse I will go and see the GP again but right now I am coping quite well.

The only 2 symptoms that are getting me down a bit are the weight gain/difficulty losing weight and the brain fog. The latter being the worst. I used to be someone who could hold the details of multiple work projects in my head and answer any questions straight away. Now I have to check notes and keep forgetting things. But that is manageable. Now I have recognised it as a likely symptom I can work around it, taking loads of notes, and just planning everything.

The hubster is being very good. When I bite his head off for no good reason he knows it is not something I can easily control so backs off.

So here we go on this great rollercoaster of life.

Lel.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Non Totally a Newbie but......
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 01:38:33 PM »

Hi!  That GP needs a  :kick: because no girl or woman is 'too young' for menopause.   :bang:

Keep a hand on that GP and don't share her name otherwise she will be overwhelmed  ;)

Some ladies find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary of use.  Browse round!

LellyM

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 03:52:44 PM »

CLKD, that 1st GP has since left the country!!! He was a nightmare about most things. Go to see him with an ear infection and get a 20 min lecture on how you are too fat but nothing for your ear????

I have just ordered a bottle of calcium, Vit D, Zinc  and Magnesium tabs which should help (or will turn me into the Tin Man!). Just trying to avoid loss of bone density. Think I am OK so far as I fell down the stairs last year and came away with just a broken toe!

So I am monitoring how things feel on a day by day basis. If they do deteriorate then I will be back to the GP like a flash.

Think the energy levels would be helped if I could guarantee a good night's sleep. At the moment I spend half the night awake either too hot, too cold, cramp, panic attack/anxiety or a loo call. Stupid thing is, I have NOTHING to worry about. My life is pretty decent. I have good family, good friends, hobbies I love, work that is OK, finances under control. But I can still lie there with a feeling of dread. Just have to breathe my way through it and try to sleep. Then, just as I start to nod off I get cramp (thanks Statins!). In stretching out the cramp in my calf I get cramp in my shin, then my toes, ankle, back, then the other leg joins in. It is mainly down to dehydration. I play in a band and when we are on stage I don't drink enough. Add that to the Statins I have to take (as I had a stroke in January) and I am Mrs Cramp!

So now I try to drink more.......

Sorry, been rambling on. Must get back to work!

L

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 05:11:07 PM »

You ramble  :D

Cramp is due to a lack of salt ;-).  Regardless of what the medics think, salt is necessary.  A blood test can show if your blood is low.  I am on statins and have never had cramp.

Beware of Magnesium  ;) be near a loo until the bowel settles.

If you are waking in the night, have something to do.  Compost shopping lists in your head.  Or get up, have a cuppa.  Don't lay there letting your brain whitter, there doesn't need to B a reason!