Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Palm oil  (Read 7286 times)

Hurdity

Re: Palm oil
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 06:54:15 PM »

I'm not sure if this has been posted already but it can help us make a choice between companies https://www.actforwildlife.org.uk/get-involved/take-conservation-action/take-the-sustainable-palm-oil-challenge/shopping-list/

Taz x

This is great - I just found this list independently and suddenly remembered there was a thread about it!

Do read about the Chester Zoo campaign https://www.actforwildlife.org.uk/ which tells you all about Palm Oil and then you can try to shop using brands found on Taz's list.

We intend to do so as from now :)

Tnx so much.  I wonder whether 'palm oil' is called something else, i.e. SLS ......... because I can't find evidence on anhythig recently purchased, i.e. bubble bath.

CLKD I'm not sure about non-food products- the list says this about food products:

Thanks to recent changes in EU legislation every food product sold to the public in the UK that contains palm oil must have ‘palm oil' listed on the packaging. Some will state that their palm oil is certified sustainable but others don't.

ALso here is some more info from WWF about products that contain it and yes you could be right about SLS although looking into it further it doesn;t necessarily come from palm-oil - it's a minefield once you start looking!!!:

Many products that use palm oil aren't clearly labeled. Palm oil and its derivatives can appear under many names, including:

INGREDIENTS: Vegetable Oil, Vegetable Fat, Palm Kernel, Palm Kernel Oil, Palm Fruit Oil, Palmate, Palmitate, Palmolein, Glyceryl, Stearate, Stearic Acid, Elaeis Guineensis, Palmitic Acid, Palm Stearine, Palmitoyl Oxostearamide, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-3, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Kernelate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Lauryl Lactylate/Sulphate, Hyrated Palm Glycerides, Etyl Palmitate, Octyl Palmitate, Palmityl Alcohol

https://www.worldwildlife.org/pages/which-everyday-products-contain-palm-oil

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 10:28:08 AM »

:thankyou:

CLKD

Re: Palm oil - Chester announcement
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 05:50:55 PM »

In September 2017 we launched an ambitious, major new conservation campaign to make Chester the first city in the world to source its palm oil from entirely sustainable sources. We wanted to do something innovative; something game-changing; something that could have a significant impact on shaping the future of our planet.

We wanted Chester to lead the way on an issue that's vitally important to the long-term survival of many iconic species.

Now, 18 months later, we've achieved our goal!

Shadyglade

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 05:53:24 PM »

I am going to source some old fashioned soap flakes, make my own cleaning detergent. Made from vegetable oil but no palm oil.

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 06:04:25 PM »

Let us know how you get on?   I used to cook with sunflower oil in large spoonfuls.  My sister made soap years ago ........

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 07:53:31 PM »

My Meridian Almond butter I love has no palm oil in it, it really is very hard to avoid but I do try.

Shadyglade

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2019, 07:58:11 PM »

Yes, I think what health food shops sell, is more likely to be palm free. Unfortunately the price is usually higher.

Shadyglade

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2019, 08:37:17 AM »

I have purchased some soap flakes, which are totally palm oil free. They can be diluted in water to make a cleaning fluid.  I will let you know how effective it is. 

Modern cleaning products do contain a lot of toxic chemicals so I am hoping that this will be better for my health as well as the environment.

Taz2

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2019, 09:39:59 AM »

I have purchased some soap flakes, which are totally palm oil free. They can be diluted in water to make a cleaning fluid.  I will let you know how effective it is. 

Modern cleaning products do contain a lot of toxic chemicals so I am hoping that this will be better for my health as well as the environment.

Let us know how it goes. I tried similar but found it just didn't work on getting clothes clean. Not sure which brand it was now.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2019, 10:24:37 AM »

My eyes aren't good enough to read the labels anyway.  SLS is in many products: shampoo, toothpaste ........ did anyone see Gregg Wallace in the week talking to a baker who is trying to substitute palm oil?  He mentioned lard and Gregg's eyes rolled  ;D well it didn't do any of us any harm and Gran lived until she was 84.  'trex' anyone ?

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2019, 03:34:59 PM »

Trex is a solid vegetable fat brand sold in the UK, it is available in most major supermarkets. You can also use Flora White as an alternative, or lard if you don't mind animal fats.

24 Oct 2010

Sainsburys web-site:

Description

Vegetable Baking Fat

Home baking at its best

The versatile baking product that is lower in saturated fat than butter!

Light mixture

Dairy free

Use 20% less than butter

Free from preservatives, colours, e-numbers and hydrogenated vegetable oil

Generations of home bakers have chosen Trex to make delicious recipes. Easy to use and versatile, you can use Trex straight from the fridge for perfect pastry, cakes, biscuits and roasting.

Why use Trex instead of Butter?
It's soft and easy to whip giving an even bake

You can use 20% less in your recipes because it contains no water.

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2019, 03:37:16 PM »

Trex the family baking - 2019 - sign up for the newsletter

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2019, 03:50:57 PM »

I HATE Jelly with a vengeance : unless it's in pork dripping  :D and it has to be pork, can't eat any other kind ......... with salt over the fat.  On hot toast .........

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2019, 04:09:44 PM »

My favourite mince pie recipe uses trex & butter mix, leaves you with a lovely light pastry.

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2019, 04:19:55 PM »

It's Not C.mas  ;D
I do however love mince pies in the Summer >passes over plate<
Pages: 1 [2] 3