Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT bleeding  (Read 953 times)

Lynne13

HRT bleeding
« on: November 20, 2018, 07:23:52 AM »

Hi I'm 52, I had my last period April 15, I am on indivina 2/5mg for the last 18months, I am now having very! light brown discharge and the odd period pain,  bloating. I'm unsure what to do this is the first time this has happened. When I first went on indivina I was on 1/2.5mg and had this kind of thing for the first two months until the GP doubled my dose, I've been super in this, my night sweats went to nothing. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you

Dancinggirl

Re: HRT bleeding
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 08:52:51 AM »

Hi Lynne13

Is the Indivina a sequential or continuous HRT type? At 52, unless you had gone 1-2 years without a natural period prior to starting HRT, you would be deemed peri menopause which would mean your own hormones may still be fluctuating in the background causing the womb lining to build and spontaneously start to shed - hence the spotting and bleeding.
If you are on a sequential HRT, which is the right hrt type for those in peri menopause, then you should get a withdrawal bleed each month.
Maybe you were diagnosed as post menopause because you had an early menopause?
If you do get some proper bleeding then it is best to get things investigated - it might be sensible to get things checked anyway. The increase in dose may have caused this spotting. DG x

Lynne13

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 10:34:13 AM »

Hi the indivina is a continuous hrt sorry it was 2014 my last period. Does this mean I'm in the right type of hrt

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 12:39:53 PM »

Probably yes, if your last natural periods was in 2014.  Some spotting and break through bleeding can occur on continuous, non bleed HRT, so if you are concerned you should get this checked.  Sometimes fibroids or polyps develop and these can often be reduced and controlled by having a Mirena fitted and having oestrogen as gel or patch alongside.
Mirena with separate oestrogen as pills, gel or patch can be a very good HRT regime.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 05:18:32 PM »

How long ago since doubling the dose and how long has the spotting been going on? If you have doubled the dose then  it's like starting again and as Dancingirl says it is common on no-bleed HRT and if you start a new type too. I would check with the doc but probably nothing to worry about and will settle when your body has acclimatised to the new dose - if 5-6 months since you doubled the dose then definitely talk to your doc just to check the balance is right (between oestrogen and progestogen) otherwise you might need to do as Dancinggirl suggested re Mirena or HRT with stronger progestogen?

Hurdity x