Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Stopping HRT today  (Read 1378 times)

pamb

Stopping HRT today
« on: November 11, 2018, 04:56:09 PM »

Have come to the decision to give up on HRT - at least for the moment anyway.

I started on Evorel sequi patches in December last year and seemed to be doing okay until recently when I started getting a rash on both thighs in areas other than the patch site as well as the patch site. So thinking that I may be having a problem with the progesterone part I switched to Provera with Evorel 50.  There was still no improvement so I switched to Femoston 1/10 tablets. I've been taking these for 10 days and the rash is spreading over my torso and my hands so from today I'm going to stop them.

I'm so disappointed as my menopause symptoms were greatly eased but I'm assuming I'm having a reaction to the estradiol and it would be foolish to  continue. 

I've got a GP appt in 2 weeks but thought it best to stop now as the leaflet in the pack said to do so if this occurred.

Not sure if there are any other options if I am getting a systemic reaction from both transdermal and oral. 

Has anyone else had a similar experience with this problem and if so did the hot flushes, night sweats and sleep problems come back with a vengeance once HRT was stopped?

I follow a healthy lifestyle with exercise and good diet but still got symptoms which was why I thought I would give HRT a go.  I think I may still be premenopausal so I wonder if when  I'm post if I should try again.

We hear so many more good things about using HRT these days and how bad oestrogen deficiency is to our health that I'm scared that I'll turn into a wizened old lady without it. - I'm only 55 -\

Sorry for the moan as I know some of you ladies are having more problems than I am but it helps to share.

Thanks for reading - if you've got this far!!

pamb xx

Annie0710

Re: Stopping HRT today
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 05:10:22 PM »

I play golf with ladies in their 70s and I haven't come across one yet who has been on hrt (I've probs spoke to about 5-6 of them about it) and those ladies are running round the golf course hitting some amazing shots.  Apart from ladies on this forum I've never come across post menopause women who talk openly x

Shadyglade

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 05:17:08 PM »

More women get through without HRT than do. I don't know of anyone in my age group or family, who has used HRT.

Donna-paul

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 05:54:15 PM »

I was allergic to all oral oestrogen had bad rash come up but am able to use oestrogel the menopause consultant said it's usually the fillers they use in tablets. It must be the oestrogen as take tablet norethisterone and ok. So don't give up worth getting oestrogel.

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 07:00:48 PM »

Hello ladies.

I think everyone would like to know how to get through the menopause without using HRT. Many of us have tried various preparations and are still searching for the perfect fit. I have two friends who have been on this journey for 8 and 6 years respectively and only now are they considering HRT because they are desperate for relief. The women who 'sail' through this time in their lives are very fortunate and I wish I knew their secret!

Wishing you all well.

K.

Shadyglade

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 07:17:16 PM »

Best not to judge others meno journey Kathleen.

My peri was very long (15 years plus). Some of that time was not to bad, other times horrendous. Choosing not to take HRT is not a messure of suffering. Fortunately post meno I am doing pretty well.

Every meno journey is different and we all choose our own path through.

suzysunday

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 07:19:15 PM »

I'm 60 and never considered hrt till 2 years ago when atrophy was diagnosed.  I used local cream, ovestin, then went on tibolone.  After 18 months  I started bleeding and had biopsy and 3 months of total stress.  Now I am off hrt except for the local hrt  cream that I really need.  The tibolone was great for dryness, libido and flushes and without it I'm back to square one.  I can't cope with the worry of it happening again, as it was the tibolone. I'm struggling to stabilise things, especially the atrophy which got worse after 3 months with no treatment.  They are hard decisions to make.

Dierdre

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 07:51:46 PM »

I was one of the fortunates who sailed though menopause without HRT, there's no secret, just had no symptoms to need anything. I didn't know anyone on HRT either or anything much about menopause.  It wasn't until I was 5 years post menopause (age 59)and developed atrophy that I learned about it. I still don't know anyone else on HRT or with atrophy and don't know how I would have managed without this forum, so thank you ladies.

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 08:06:27 PM »

I would try Estrogel before you give up on HRT. I got a rash with Evorel but have been fine with Estrogel.

suzysunday

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 08:34:11 PM »

Dierdre, that pretty much sounds just like me.  I thought I'd had an easy time then it hit me with the atrophy.

sheila99

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 09:12:36 AM »

On reflection I think you're right to stop now. The rash may be caused by something else, mine was only under the patch. It may be an allergic reaction to something else (soap/washig powder/shampoo/diet etc). If it does turn out to be HRT I still think it would be worth trying gel.

pamb

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 02:49:56 PM »

Thanks for all the replies ladies.

I feel a bit more positive today about things - a good nights sleep always helps, plus walking the dogs at my local animal shelter.  No matter how I'm feeling they always manage to put a smile on my face.

I probably will try the gel method, although my GP practice only prescribes Sandrena and not oestrogel, as does my local menopause clinic which is a pity as I really wanted to try that in the first instance when I decided to try HRT, but that's the NHS for you.  I don't think I'll rush into it just yet though and just see how I go symptom wise.  I'll discuss it with my GP when I see her next week.

sheila99 - I'm pretty sure it's down to the HRT as I haven't changed anything with regards to soap, washing powder or even my diet, so the only thing that's different is the HRT.  Of course the HRT could be making me react to something that I've been using for a long time. 

Thanks again for all the comments.   This website and forum is a godsend to ladies who are now more well informed because of it.

pamb x