Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hot flushes back  (Read 683 times)

Loulou1960

Hot flushes back
« on: November 12, 2018, 11:11:22 AM »

Morning ladies
Any advice would be appreciated...started HRT 9 months ago,oestrogel 2 pumps a day..urogestran 10 days vaginally..was doing ok but in the the last 2 months  hot flushes creeping back in and bleeding spotting post normal bleed  for a week or so...do I need to increase oestrogel??
Also even though my oestrogel has changed to oestrodose..and not suppose to be any difference  this has all started since I  started oestrodose .
Last scan in September ok.

Donna-paul

Re: Hot flushes back
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 02:36:42 PM »

There's been a lot of talk on here about oestrogel and estrodose I do believe myself that estrodose is not the same. I'm now having to take oestrodose as I couldn't get estrogel anywhere in Norwich and it isn't the same my hot flushes has got worse it definitely isn't as strong and doesn't smell or feel the same. Estrogel is thicker constituency and smell more chemical like oesrodose is thin and has no smell. I was only taking 1 pump I've now upping to 1 1/2 to see if it's better.  Wondering if anyone else can't get estrogel?

SueLW

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 02:44:59 PM »

It's very hard to get Estrogel!  It's a few pence more than Oestrodose evidently so if a prescription says "Oestrogen Gel" then the cheaper product is what you will be given.  I have tried to force my GP to prescribe the brand name Oestrogel and I know, because I was there looking at her prescription screen on the computer with her, that there is no option for her to do that.  She can only request generic gel.

I get mine from an online pharmacy now.  Pharmacy2You is the name.  They have agreed to fulfil my generic prescription with Estrogel only.  But I am a patient of a private doctor with a working arrangement with them.  However, if you could get a hand written prescription for the brand name product from your GP then you could send it to them and be sure you would get the right thing.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 04:07:08 PM »

Hi Loulou1960

According to the information from Besins (there is a long-running thread on this) oestrodose and oestrogel are exactly the same - if they are manufactured by them at their Belgium plant. They are just given different packaging. I can't comment on any different consistency or smell you have noticed because many others have used them side by side for years and have never noticed no difference whatsoever in smell or consistency.

The ony thing you can do please is, for the oestrodose you say is thinner and doesn't smell - is look at the leaflet and see where it is manufactured, and which company has done the repackaging ( they don't actually repackage the raw gel itself just the container and leaflet) - and take note of the batch number. If you have noticed a difference in consistency etc then please write to Besins themselves with these details, and also I think you can report it under the yellow card scheme because all medicines are supposed to be tested to the same standard and are supposed to be identical (this is the advice given on the other thread).

If you are just thinking you notice a difference in efficacy but have not noted any observable difference in the product then it could just be coincidence - your hormones will fluctuate in peri-menopause anyway, or else expectation - the different packaging appears to mean that the products are different even if not!

If your hot flushes are creeping back in and you haven't changed anything else then it may be that you need a slightly higher dose? I can't comment about the spotting but you should contact your doc about any unscheduled bleeding you are worried about.

Whatever you decide I hope your flushes disappear soon!

Hurdity x