Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vaginal atrophy  (Read 3000 times)

Scottishgirl

Re: Vaginal atrophy
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2018, 12:24:50 PM »

Yep, have been doing all the  right things. I follow them religiously. Thanks for the support. This is such a wonderful reassuring forum .

Scottishgirl

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2018, 08:57:14 PM »

Thanks sparkle. I have heard of this. Is that the one you have to get online? It's not available here in Australia over the counter . I would try it for sure.

Scottishgirl

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2018, 10:58:46 PM »

I have read that vitamin E ( the oil squeezed out of the capsule, is a good natural moisturiser. I read it on a research paper a medical group was doing. No shonky website selling something. I hate them. It was genuine with no affiliations. I'm trying it out .

Otter15

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 06:46:01 AM »

Hope you've got it sorted by now. Just thought I'd tell you what's worked for me as I had the same problem with the Vagifem. I was using it daily in the end and still got vaginitis. I was sent to the hospital with a suspected prolapse - fortunately not - but they did tell me my atrophy is very low down the vagina so Vagifem was not having much effect. I was given estriol cream which I can place lower down more easily and it's worked. I only use it twice a week internally - bit more often outside sometimes - and have had no problems since, after a year struggling with Vagifem and getting progressively worse.

Scottishgirl

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2018, 07:19:28 AM »

Thanks Otter15. I have had nearly a week of being reasonably comfortable. That happens sometimes, but it always comes back . But it's so great to have a break from it for a while!  I asked my doc about estriol and he said it did the same as vagifem, but he gave me a referral to a gynaecologist, because he said she would know more about it, which is true. I'll get more information from her. But I honestly think it's even beyond their powers to be honest. It's a miserable condition to be sure.

Otter15

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 07:40:21 AM »

It definitely is - so debilitating and made worse by doctors either not knowing much about it or not taking it seriously. That's why this site is so important - I've had more information and help from here than anywhere else. Hope your appointment gets you the help you need.

Joaniepat

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2018, 09:37:24 AM »

Vagifem contains estradiol, and Ovestin and the generic estriol cream both contain estriol (obviously!!), so they are different types of oestrogen hormones. I wonder if that makes a difference? Otter15, are you using the weaker, generic estriol cream? I seem to have become allergic to Ovestin as it now makes me itch like crazy and makes the external soreness worse.

Scottishgirl, I know how you feel, that is exactly what happens to me. A few days of feeling OK then back to square one.

JP x

Otter15

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 02:08:14 PM »

Hi Joaniepat. Yes, I'm using the ovestin cream and it really has helped. I've only been using it for a couple of months. It's working both inside and out so far. Hope there's an alternative if I develop an allergy! Have you been using it for long? I'll have to research the estradiol and estriol differences. Do they have different effects/can you need one rather than the other?? :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 05:02:50 PM »

They both do the same job - estriol and oestrogen - re vaginal atrophy. They mainly bind to different receptors. The preference is usually whether one wants to apply a cream which is messier but more lubricating or a tablet which sticks to the vaginal walls. Also whether women are sensitive to one or the other. Some prefer to use Vagifem internally and then estriol cream for the external area and vag entrance. For the latter it's probably better to have estriol as you can use it in larger quantities ie as a moisturising cream as well as providing oestrogen as well. The dose of Ovestin is much smaller as it is much stronger.

Hurdity x

Otter15

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2018, 05:07:56 PM »

Thanks for the explanation. Maybe it's the lubrication that is more helpful for me.

Joaniepat

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 05:57:24 PM »

Thank you Hurdity and Otter15. Perhaps I'll try the generic estriol for the outside, even though one needs more of it. At least the fillers are different from Ovestin.
JP x

Katejo

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 10:05:25 PM »

Vagifem contains estradiol, and Ovestin and the generic estriol cream both contain estriol (obviously!!), so they are different types of oestrogen hormones. I wonder if that makes a difference? Otter15, are you using the weaker, generic estriol cream? I seem to have become allergic to Ovestin as it now makes me itch like crazy and makes the external soreness worse.

Scottishgirl, I know how you feel, that is exactly what happens to me. A few days of feeling OK then back to square one.

JP x
I had a bad reaction to Estriol cream. It (the filler) really irritated me inside and I was going to and fro from the bathroom all night. I could try using some externally though (since I still have an unopened tube).
Pages: 1 [2]