Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: HRT tablets & acid reflux  (Read 5120 times)

Dawnjenn67

HRT tablets & acid reflux
« on: November 23, 2018, 08:02:30 AM »

Hello, my GP has changed me from patches to Femeston 1/10 tablets mainly because the patches kept coming off & the progesterone was making my depression so much worse. My problem now is that my stomach is really suffering. I have terrible acid reflux & constant nausea. I'm taking an over the counter version of Omeprezole but I'm on the verge of stopping HRT altogether. I started 3 months ago to help my sleep & night sweats which is much improved but I've ended up with severe depression & now this. I just don't know which way to turn  :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT tablets & acid reflux
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 08:04:38 AM »

It's the Trial and Error that is so tiring.

Maybe try a more simple antacid, i.e. Rennies or Milk of Magnesia?  The one you are taking tends to stop all acids from forming which presents it's own problems. 

Do you take anything for depression? 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 08:24:24 AM »

Do you take the Femoston in the morning with a good breakfast?
Do you eat small meals regularly through the day?
Do you take some Gaviscon after your meals?
Have you tried cutting out caffiene, fruit juices and alcohol?
Avoid aspirin, ibuprofen or codiene.
I found the PPI drugs (even over the counter ones, really upset my digestive system - gave me awful wind, diarrhoea etc. - they actually stop you absorbing your food properly.
I now take digestive enzymes with each meal, drink peppermint ir camomile tea, drink plenty of water  and if I've slightly overindulged at a meal I use Gaviscon.
Small changes can make a big difference - I did have awful reflux and heartburn and now rarely suffer.
DG x

Dawnjenn67

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 08:25:44 AM »

Yes it's very much trial & error. I can't eat much at the moment due to the nausea & the acid. I take Venlafaxine 75mcg. My mood is very low at the moment. The progesterone in the last version of HRT patches made it much worse.

Dawnjenn67

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 08:33:54 AM »

Hello, I usually have natural yoghurt, fruit & granola for my breakfast & then take Femeston. I eat 3 meals a day but do drink coffee. I don't drink alcohol or fruit juice. I'll try cutting down on coffee. I had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago due to stones & the symptoms now are similar with regards to the nausea, acid & loose stools. The HRT tablets seem to have irritated my stomach. Thank you for your advice  :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 04:21:18 PM »

The PPIs will give you loose stools and bad wind because you won't be digesting properly!!! DG x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 05:27:49 PM »

Hormonal upheaval can cause nausea  >:(

Dawnjenn67

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 06:03:03 PM »

I agree with you. I guess that's one of the downsides to tablets.

CazaD123

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 08:26:08 AM »

Hi I also found this with taking Utrogestan orally, so after reading on this site it can be taken vaginaly I now do that, however this makes my vulva very sore and irritated. Can anyone recommend any creams to avoid or help with this please? Thanks x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 08:28:05 AM »

Appropriate vaginal atrophy treatment.   :welcomemm: CazaD123

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 03:47:51 PM »

Hi CazaD123

I find it irritates the upper labia (itchy) which I presume is thrush so I just use a 1% thrush/anti-fungal cream in this area. Might be something to do with the fluid that the progesterone is suspended in?

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 03:52:09 PM »

Hello, I usually have natural yoghurt, fruit & granola for my breakfast & then take Femeston. I eat 3 meals a day but do drink coffee. I don't drink alcohol or fruit juice. I'll try cutting down on coffee. I had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago due to stones & the symptoms now are similar with regards to the nausea, acid & loose stools. The HRT tablets seem to have irritated my stomach. Thank you for your advice  :)

Patches are recommended for those who experience stomach problems with tablets. I would perservere with finding a transdermal HRT that suits you and then if this was the cause then you can stop the Omep.. I wouldn't want to take these or anything similar for long for the reasons Dancinggirl gives ie prevents proper absorption of food and most importantly some of the vitamins etc. Like CLKD I only use simple antacids when I get stomach problems and they seem to do the trick.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 05:27:18 PM »

Thrush has typical symptoms.  One should never 'presume' as dryness etc. mimics symptoms.  4 me thrust is intense itching high up  :o that I can't reach  :-\ but when I thought I had it, used Canestin, I had to sit in a cool bath for 40 mins. as the whole area burned.

LIVE yoghurt however  ;)

Since having this cold - week 5 now - I have had background heartburn which has required the odd small mouse, sorry, Rennie ....... either B4 eating or as I get into bed.  Reflux is worried.

EleanorB

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 05:45:20 PM »

Hello,

I have stomach issues and avoid taking any tablets I can, always preferring a transdermal route if possible. I would second what was said re trying another transdermal option, there are different types.