Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Estrogen rich diets  (Read 2797 times)

Jari

Estrogen rich diets
« on: July 19, 2019, 06:57:18 PM »

Hello all,

Just wondered if anyone is sticking to an estrogen rich diet and if you think it has helped with symptoms? X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Estrogen rich diets
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 07:56:06 PM »

R U able to explain more fully?

What exactly do you eat daily for example, where do you find recipes, ingredients etc.?

Jari

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 07:34:43 AM »

Hi CLKD,

I'm trying as much as I can to have an estrogen rich diet as don't take hrt.

I just wondered if others are doing the same and if they can share what they are eating/ recipes?

I usually have muesli (no added sugar) for breakfast. I've found the « Dorset cereals Â» brand I like. I add some porridge oats to this and ground flaxseeds. ( I buy dark flaxseeds from health food shop and grind them before adding to muesli) I also add stewed prunes (about 6) and a couple spoons of the juice. Also add soy milk, hazelnut milk, oat milk or almond milk. (Whichever I have in fridge)

Lunch I have homemade hummus which I take with me to work. With carrots and red peppers and broccoli.

Dinner I normally have something like eg last night. Green lentils with a few black beans simmered for 30mins in water with a half veg stock cube. Then cook onions/ garlic separately and add things you like. For me, mustard seeds, a little cayenne pepper, ground coriander.. but whatever I feel like. Then add lentil mix to onion mix when lentils soft to eat and I added to some cooked whole meal pasta and courgettes on side.

A bit of a mix I know. 😉

But, that would be a usual day. With fruit snacks along the way, normally a couple of apples. X

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 08:09:48 AM »

DH eats lots of apples, I can't be bothered  ;D

Interesting that you call 'soya' etc. milk.  They are not milk but are constituted from the ingredients in order to look like milk.  Milk comes from cows, ewes, yak, horses, sheep, goats. 

People have stopped drinking animal milks due to the 'fat' content but in fact, many of the alternatives such a coconuts are higher in fats  ::).  I LOVE coconut water ......... DH also cooks with coconut 'milk' which is the soft part of the nut 'ground' into a paste.  I love drinking it from the can ...........

I would be inclined to go 1 further: a stock cube may well be all chemicals rather than an ingredient from meat/chicken/vegetable ;-).  On the next wet day boil up some bones for a couple of hours, strain the juice and freeze in ice-cube containers, ready to pop out - they will defrost whist cooking.  We have done herbs this way too.  We freeze chillies in small pieces.  I say 'we' - that's DH of course  ;) :D

I love the Dorset brand too but am currently on 'lilzies' ....... this morning with sugar, freshly picked raspberries and skimmed milk oh they are sharp  :o. I also eat as many green veg raw as possible, DH rarely cooks anything into the soggy state. 

Where's your protein?  Also, as a person who had breast disease and was told no HRT due to oestrogen dominance  :-\ ...... hey ho! I eats what I fancies  ;D

Jari

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 08:58:55 AM »

Hi CLKD,

I will make a quinoa salad today with beetroot and avocado and some chopped nuts on top.

Quinoa and nuts are a good source of protein.

Sometimes I throw in some edamame beans or green peas when cooking pasta. They are both also good sources of protein.

I do snack on nuts. Normally Brazil, cashews and walnuts. Small handful each day. Good protein.

Otherwise.. soy, oats, cereal, lentils, hummus, nuts etc. All good protein. X

Ps Prunes are great for keeping off osteoporosis.

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 02:41:08 PM »

Hello Jari

My diet is best described as whole food plant based.  I follow this regime for it's anti inflammatory effects but  I realise that plants also contain phyto oestrogens. If it is possible to control symptoms by diet alone then anyone on HRT may infact be hampering the body's efforts to achieve a hormonal balance.

I haven't noticed any research about Oestrogen rich diets specifically so if you have any further information I'd be interested to read it as would other ladies I'm sure!

Wishing you well.

K.

Jari

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 04:44:36 PM »

Hi Kathleen, I totally agree with you, I feel that hrt just messes with our body which is naturally rebalancing it's hormones. By adding foreign concentrated hormones, IMO, causes more problems in the long run.

One book I found worth reading is Marilyn Glenville's Natural solutions to menopause. In it, she explains the right foods to be eating, but you can look her up online too..

Here's an example:

https://glenvillenutrition.ie/balancing-your-hormones-naturally/

X

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 04:50:48 PM »

I think you mentioned this B4 - shows how much this Meno-brain doesn't absorb.

I LOVE nuts particularly Brazils.  A source of ? selenium ?  Love spuds in any guise too.  that purple potato ? yam ? mashed with butter and black pepper.

Do U grow your own?  We have fresh peas straight from the pods and broad beans ...... runners still sulking  >:(  :D

Jari

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 04:57:37 PM »

I do love mashed potato. Sadly, not enough room to grow my own but I do have rhubarb which I love. :)

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 04:58:50 PM »

Rhubarb  :sick02:  ;D. takes up too much space.  Spuds would fill the space if you dug up the rhubarb  :lol:  we grew spuds in sacks a few years ago but again, they took up patio space.  We lovely though but not many ..........

We grow red beet; parsnip; broad and runners; peas; raspberries, strawberries, red/white currants; bilberries in pots .........

I love cooked beetroot with a roast or cold in a sandwich  ;)

Jari

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 05:12:37 PM »

That sounds lovely. I love all those things. I might try growing spuds in bags on patio. Good idea!
I bought a whole beetroot recently and hadn't cooked one before. (Usually I buy in a jar)
Made a mistake in cutting the outer skin off, chopping into cubes and adding to the quinoa...it all turned pink. 🤣 it didn't matter though. Still tasted lovely. This time I will cook the whole thing and just wash the outside? 😊

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 05:14:45 PM »

Wash carefully
Cut up as much as you want in what ever form - DH makes chunks to roast. Beware though it turns pee pink  :D

sheila99

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 05:41:12 PM »

Boil them whole with a couple of inches of stem left on. Peel then chop once they're cooked.