Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New member  (Read 2491 times)

daska86

« on: October 16, 2018, 12:29:14 PM »

Hi, I'm a new member, 62 and having lots of problems which are distressing. I saw a Dr a few weeks ago with itching and burning. Dr prescribed antibiotics for a water infection, but these did nothing. Had to see another Dr as an emergency as mine was unavailable. He prescribed Vagifem for vaginal atrophy. After taking it for 4 days my Dr gave me thrush treatment after a urine test came back as maybe infection.I had to come off Vagifem to take Canesten. Now the burning is  worse and I am unsure whether or not to restart Vagifem.Does  V.A cause burning and itching externally? I can't get an appointment till November 5th

Dancinggirl

Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 02:27:22 PM »

Hi and welcome to Mm
These symptoms are all typical for urogenital atrophy and if the urine infection has cleared you need to keep using the Vagifem ( daily for 2 weeks and then every 3 days after that and if you want to keep your ‘lady bit's healthy, then continue using Vagifem for rest of your life).  Also get some intimate moisturiser to use daily - SYLK or the YES products are best ( buy these online).
Did they actually diagnose Thrush? If there is a white cottage cheese type discharge and things feel really sore then the Caneston may help in the short term but you need to get the flora balance back in the vaginal area. Avoid sugary foods, avoid fruit juices and caffeine but drink lots of water.
I find that Caneston burns like crazy so I can't use it, I use Multi Gyn Actigel (I buy this online) which is great for restoring the flora balance of the vagina and this can treat and prevent thrush and bacterial infections. 

Do look at the thread ‘The Burning Club' - you will find that you are not alone with this problem and doctors often don't know how to treat it.  At least you've been given Vagifem so maybe some doctors are learning to do the right thing. !!!!

Start using the Vagifem a.s.a.p. and get some Multi Gyn Actigel and an intimate moisturiser to get things back on track. Use Vagifem at night and the Multi Gyn Actigel during the day ( just put a good dollop on the end of your finger and push this right up inside 2-3 times during the day - it may sting a bit at first) and moisturisers as and when needed.  DG x

daska86

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 04:05:36 PM »

Hi thanks for replying. My doctor prescribed antibiotics as a dipstick urine test revealed a trace of blood and protein so she sent it off for culture. It  came back as unsure , and a second test came back as possible infection ,but the Dr prescribed Canesten pessary and cream for "possible" thrush after taking antibiotics. The external irritation is unbearable and the area looks inflamed. I now feel so dry that the thought of inserting anything does not appeal. I wonder if having started and stopped the Vagifem to then use the Caneston, as advised by a Dr, has made things worse and I'm also wondering if I actually had thrush as there was no discharge and the treatment was prescribed over the phone !!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 05:27:18 PM »

If the Caneston was a ‘just in case' strategy then it wasn't perhaps necessary. Antibiotics often result in Thrush at it kills the good bacteria as well as the bad bacteria so the vaginal flora can become unbalanced.
 I find Caneston irritates dreadfully and I now use Multi Gyn Actigel regularly to prevent and treat any burning and itching.
Do get some vaginal moisturiser - SYLK or the Yes products are the best  - as this would help initially and allow you to use the Vagifem.
Keep us posted. DG x

daska86

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 05:55:53 PM »

Thanks DG. Do you use water or oil based moisturiser ?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 06:38:17 PM »

I use SYLK but I think most like prefer the water based moisturiser done by the YES producers. DG x

daska86

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 11:05:09 AM »

Hi dancing girl. Pain unbearable last night so saw an emergency GP today.  She had another look came to the same conclusion of VA but prescribed Ovestin to use on the sore bits and restart the Vagifem. If there is no improvement in 2 weeks or it gets worse then I will get referred to a gynaecologist or genitourinary consultant. Don't really want to go there so fingers crossed for the pessaries and cream. I did ask why there is no information out there about menopausal problems and she said basically no money. I admit I am a very naive lady and I had no idea this could happen. It makes me very angry, it seems to be a case of it happens get on with it 😈 Glad to be on here with support from others in the same boat .

Blot

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 08:47:20 AM »

Hi Daska86.
I'm having similar problems. I haven't actually been diagnosed with VA. Had a urine infection and it started from there. The gp I saw was pretty useless and has referred me to a colleague (after messing me around for 10 weeks) in the practice who deals with women's stuff.

I had a bit of a stop start with the vagifem, used one and it made me worse, had a few days break then tried again for a week, no better and went back to doc who told me to stop until I see her colleague. No clue whatsoever.

I think the ladies on here have much more of an idea and certainly better advice than my old doc but you go along with their advice don't you because they are doctors  ???

daska86

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 11:51:32 AM »

Hi Blot, you do trust your Dr and I have seen 3 different GPS from my practice who are all of the same opinion that it's VA and I'm giving the meds a go to see if things improve. The itching and burning is bad enough, but I also have an irritation which drives me mad but I can't tell where it's coming from. Following advice from Dancing girl and drinking lots of water, reducing caffeine and sugar and hoping things improve. I do feel that there isn't enough information being given out medically about these problems. I never expected anything like this as my menopause wasn't actually that bad.

Blot

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 01:43:51 PM »

Same here daska. Sailed through menopause with just slight flushes. Plenty of anxiety but I thought that was just me being anxious.

This VA has appeared from nowhere but it's good to know that we are not alone.

daska86

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 04:10:42 PM »

Yes it is will keep a look out for your posts  :)

Blot

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 04:39:45 PM »

Be warned! I tend to ramble on a bit so there's plenty read  ;D

Witches Cat

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 03:21:27 PM »

Hello everybody, I haven't been on here in ages, thought I was pretty much sorted these days but just recently the VA has hit hard. And these last few days I have had what I thought was Cystitis start, it hasn't followed the same path as when I had it in my teens though. Nowadays I get up in the morning and everything has subsided overnight but gets going again through the day, and sitting on the sofa of an evening is murder. Doesn't hurt to wee, but hurts after. Pharmacy gave me some powders to disolve this morning, 3 a day for 2 days, and said if it doesn't work, see the doc. For months I've been using Yes... then next I tried Sylk, then I used Replens MD, this is awfully messy a few hours after using it, gunk is the only way to describe it, and after Jenny Eclair's adverts for Vagisan cream,  I got some of that on monday.. not really impressed, that turns to a less messy gunk but still gunk. Two years ago the doc prescribed Vagifem, around this time of year too, feeling cold, sore and miserable the pharmacies all said it was out of stock because it was rationed, they were only allowed to have a certain amount per month and they'd used theirs. Once I'd got some and used it I didn't bother trying to get any more and went for self help instead which has been reasonably successful until now. I'm wondering how much "stress" has to do with how I feel as hubby and I have had so much dumped at our door in the way of family problems I'm left wondering how to cope any more. Do you know if Vagifem is more easily obtainable now? I think I might try to get some and stay with it...  Thanks for taking the time to read this... 63rd birthday tomorrow and a dentist appointment to boot.. life just gets better doesn't it?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 03:30:54 PM »

Hi Witches Cat. I'm afraid one does have to use Vagifem regularly for the long term or symptoms will return.
Vagifem should be available and you could arrange for repeat prescriptions to be sent to you in the post ( the GPS should have festivals about this) so if your local Pharmacy runs out you can always get it.
I get exactly the same as you and find things can be fine in the morning but if I sit down for too long then the burning starts.
I think stress doesn't help - I think we tend to clench are intimate area when tired or stressed, so the urethra becomes squashed. Keep moving - don't sit for too long. DG x