Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Upping estrogen whilst on the progesterone phase?  (Read 1376 times)

pepperminty

Upping estrogen whilst on the progesterone phase?
« on: August 06, 2018, 07:27:23 AM »

Hi ladies,

When on sequential HRT is it a good idea to slightly increase the estrogen for the 2 weeks of the progesterone phase only? And then go back to the normal dose on the 2 weeks estrogen phase . The reason I ask is that would it help counter act any negative effects of progesterone.
Or should you maintain the same estrogen dose consistently throughout the month?

I haven't done the above but was wondering if anyone had?

Peppermintyx

Sunnydays

Re: Upping estrogen whilst on the progesterone phase?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 11:07:37 AM »

I may stand to be corrected but yes I have read about this and done it myself. Not by too much of course as the progesterone you take may then be insufficient. Hope this helps:)

pepperminty

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 12:28:36 PM »

Hi Sunnydays, thanks. I have not read about it just thought is may be an option. Did it work for you? And yes I will not be exceeding the dose to make the progesterone insufficient if I decide to experiment!. The progesterone phase seems to be effecting me more recently so exploring options!

Peppermintyx

Sunnydays

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 01:12:39 PM »

I can't recall where I read it but it was a paper on having that bit more oestrogen at the progesterone phase. It wasn't anecdotal.  It's hard to say in case it's just placebo effect but I found the effects of progesterone not too bad at all by upping oestrogen.

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 02:05:21 PM »

It's worth a try.   Several women on here take more oestrogen when on the progesterone phase.   

pepperminty

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 03:22:45 PM »

Thanks Mary G,

Interesting that others may do the same. Yes worth a try!

Sunnydays- The placebo effect is well known for being as effective as the real thing in some cases. If it works it works!

thanks Ladies

Pepperminty x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 08:27:01 PM »

I know Stellajane does or did - hopefully she might read and respond! Possibly also Cassie does this too? I think it's easier to do this with gel but haven't tried it with a patch. Could do an experiment next cycle and use the whole 75 mcg patch and see what happens (rather than cut off 12.5 mcg slivers!).

I can't recall where I read it but it was a paper on having that bit more oestrogen at the progesterone phase. It wasn't anecdotal.  It's hard to say in case it's just placebo effect but I found the effects of progesterone not too bad at all by upping oestrogen.

That is interesting Sunnydays and if you can find the paper I would be interested to read it. Yes placebo is good but it does make sense (adding more oestrogen bening beneficial) - and I don't think you can placebo away a foggy head and fatigue can you, so maybe the anecdotal reports are also valid (ie more than placebo)?!

Hurdity x

pepperminty

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 06:32:53 AM »

Hi Hurdity,

thanks I think I will give this a go! And yes I would also be interested to read the paper about it.

Pepperminty

Sunnydays

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 04:13:28 PM »

I remember now. I receive a quarterly menopause mag on line. It was in one of the issues talking about side effects of Hrt. Under the section relating to progesterones I read the bit below. The only caveat I would say is that I couldn't be sure if it was specifically referring to the use of micronised progesterone or progesterones in general. In my mind makes sense for all progesterones.

‘You may notice that your benefit from oestrogen is reduced in the second phase of your HRT cycle. This can generally be managed with a small rise in your oestrogen dose'

pepperminty

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 01:01:18 PM »

Thanks Sunnydays.

Lanzalover

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 01:40:08 PM »

Good afternoon

I increase the amount of gel I use when taking progesterone.

Lanzalover  x

Ladybt28

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 03:13:05 PM »

By how much Lanzalover?

Lanzalover

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 03:42:56 PM »

Hi Ladybt

Increase from 2 pumps to 3 per day it may all be in my mind but I find it helps. I am also pretty sure I read about doing this somewhere but I cann't rember where.
If I was you I'd give it a go if works result if not you don't have to continue with it.

Good luck
Lanzalover x

pepperminty

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 04:14:45 PM »

Fab , thanks Ladies. Wonder if there is a study on it somewhere?

Peppermintyx

dangermouse

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 06:20:15 PM »

I think it makes complete sense as it's about achieving balance, and if they had much smaller doses of NHS progesterone then you could even find a perfect daily balance to take both so there's no horrible phase you have to live with.