Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Not sure where to post? Utrogestan in peri? Scans?  (Read 2300 times)

Rosepetal73

Not sure where to post? Utrogestan in peri? Scans?
« on: December 29, 2018, 10:22:31 AM »

I am fairly new to all this.  My moods have been nosediving fairly regularly over the last couple of years.  I need to be left alone for the week before my period (periods are still regular) and I have suicidal thoughts and a black despair descends (similar to what I experienced in post natal depression).  I have a distinct lack of confidence both at work (I have left two jobs in quick succession due to anxiety/panic attacks), as a wife, a mother and a woman.   It is causing problems in my marriage (of nearly 25 years) and I can't remember the last time I felt excited or positive about much at all really in fact I complain a lot.   My health anxiety has returned; my daughter has gone to uni and my son is talking about working abroad.  My private gp took some bloods and it came back with low vit d; testosterone and progesterone and thyroid levels were borderline (I know all these levels are only a snapshot and they change all the time) but oestrogen levels are still high in comparison so I am oestrogen dominant.  She has prescribed 100mg utrogestan for days 1 to 25 and I'm on day two of taking it.  I have seen scans mentioned, do I need these?  All in all feeling rather lost really,  should the progesterone help? 

Rosebush

Re: Not sure where to post? Utrogestan in peri? Scans?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 11:13:13 AM »

Hi Rosepetal, are you on any medication for your anxiety ?

HRT can take up to 3mths before we see any changes, but with some ladies they feel a difference much quicker, also with your children making plans to leave home, will be an added upheaval for you, I do not use Utrogestan, but lots of ladies on this forum do, so I am sure they can offer more expert advice on this..Please take time out for yourself..xxx

Rosepetal73

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 07:33:33 PM »

I'm not taking anything for the anxiety; I can feel ok for 3 weeks of my cycle but the week before my period it can be quite horrendous and if I am stressed (generally at work because of the lack of confidence) then anxiety attacks can occur at any time.  I have tried AD's but I can't sleep on them and they take what little sexual feeling I have away.   I have been given utrogestan 100mg to take from day 1 - 25 but I am only on day 4 and I feel awful;  I seem to be at my worst in the morning and generally feel calmer towards the evening.  My emotions flip flop from minute to minute and I feel calm, then fearful, then tearful within the space of ten minutes.  I am confused, there is so much conflicting information out there.  I thought progesterone was supposed to be calming and oestrogen dominance was supposed to cause emotional problems

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 06:15:17 PM »

I am fairly new to all this.  My moods have been nosediving fairly regularly over the last couple of years.  I need to be left alone for the week before my period (periods are still regular) and I have suicidal thoughts and a black despair descends (similar to what I experienced in post natal depression).  I have a distinct lack of confidence both at work (I have left two jobs in quick succession due to anxiety/panic attacks), as a wife, a mother and a woman.   It is causing problems in my marriage (of nearly 25 years) and I can't remember the last time I felt excited or positive about much at all really in fact I complain a lot.   My health anxiety has returned; my daughter has gone to uni and my son is talking about working abroad.  My private gp took some bloods and it came back with low vit d; testosterone and progesterone and thyroid levels were borderline (I know all these levels are only a snapshot and they change all the time) but oestrogen levels are still high in comparison so I am oestrogen dominant.  She has prescribed 100mg utrogestan for days 1 to 25 and I'm on day two of taking it.  I have seen scans mentioned, do I need these?  All in all feeling rather lost really,  should the progesterone help?

Hi Rosepetal73

Sorry to hear you are feeling down. Please don't be distracted by your private GP. Oestrogen dominance is a red herring and totally misleading. Your hormone results will depend on when in your cycle they were taken. All women are "oestrogen dominant" during the first part of their menstrual cycle when oestrogen is rising and progesterone minimal so if blood is taken during this time the results are meaningless. Ditto estradiol - which changes dirunally as well as daily and throughout the cycle. Was FSH also measured?

Progesterone replacement is absolutely not indicated unless you have bleeding problems. Many women will find that almost continuous extra progesterone will have a depressive effect and especially if ovulation is also taking place so during the second half of your cycle especially during week 3 you may get far worse pms symptoms (because you are also producing your own progesterone).

The most important thing you need to do is to have adequate vitamin D levels if these are low - most people should have adequate vit D levels throughout the summer and into early autumn depending on skin colour and where you live - so if you get enough sun and plenty of vit D rich foods in your diet. During later autumn and winter - if you didn't get enough sun and your diet is poor in vit D rich foods then you must replace it! This is very important as vit D deficiency can be responsible for a whole host of health problems.

If you are still having regular periods but getting bad pms just before your period then this is likely due to the inncreasingly dramatic hormonal fluctuations just before peri-menopause starts (when periods are missed and cycle length starts to vary). In particular the oestrogen crash just before the period can cause low mood and these feelings. It is known as reproductive depression. Prof Studd has written extensively on it ( check out his website).

The treatment is either to suppress the cycle or increase oestrogen. Depending on your age you can suppress the cycle with very high doses of oestrogen (and then add in progesterone from Utrogestan for part of the month), or with one of the birth control pills - there are two types suitable for women near menopause - QLAIRA and ZOELY - which contain estradiol ( like HRT) and only have a few tablet free days. Another option is to start a low dose HRT like Femoston 1/10 which will prevent your oestrogen from falling too low in the days leading up to your period.

I would say that taking progesterone is the last thing you need and no wonder you are feeling lacking in enthusiasm.

As for the thyroid tests - these are really important. Do you know what was measured and do you have the results? Borderline means nothing in the sense that with TSH for example - there is a"normal" range beyond which it is treatable ( as hypothyroid) but below which nothing is done. However many women experience symptomns while still being within the normal range. Many women also find that thyroid function decreases around the time of menopause or leading up to it and important to treat this first.

Here also is an article about peri-menopause which you might like to read - explaining what is happening to your body: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/pdf/Article%20-%20Perils%20of%20the%20Perimenopause.pdf

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

PS You don't need a scan unless you have bleeding problems or pain and even then not necessarily.

BlueButterfly

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 02:32:23 PM »

When you do take the utrogestan?
I'm not on a progesterone pill right now but have discussed it with my doctor. He did tell me a lot of women feel awful on it because you get a surge of progesterone up front in the day and it tapers off, you don't get a level dose throughout the day. He did tell me that taking it at night can help with this as you can sleep through the surge. An option maybe?

I do find progesterone calming and it has helped my anxiety so much! But I know that doesn't work for everyone.

Rosepetal73

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 02:50:28 PM »

Apologies for not replying for so long.  I thought I'd get an email to notify me if someone replied to my post but apparently not  :-\

My bloods were taken on day 10 and it was really to check my thyroid and vit d level because my gp refused to do it.  I think the oestrogen dominance was more about the ratio to progesterone rather the level itself? Perhaps the readings will help:

TSH 2.49 mIU/L
Free thyroxine 11.9 pmol
Free T3 - 4.3 pmol
Oestradiol 421 pmol
Progesterone < 0.2 nmol
Free testosterone 1.48 pg/ml
Vit D 38 nmol

I am now on a vit d spray, and B complex with iodine and selenium complex for thyroid support and magnesium citrate (which are huge tablets!).

I have read about reproductive depression and I did suffer mild PMS, the most awful post natal depression after my first child but I was well after my second.  The PMS has certainly got a lot worse since my early forties.

I had read that progesterone is the calming hormone and apparently in Europe they do start ladies with progesterone and then add oestrogen later?  I am so confused - there seem to so many different opinions.  I just want feel well and not just half the person I was before.  I have suffered depression and anxiety on and off so maybe AD's are the way to go?

Rosepetal73

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 02:58:07 PM »

I have just found the notify button  ::)

Rosepetal73

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 09:34:26 PM »

GP has prescribed an oestrogen gel and utrogestan 100mg for days 1 - 25.  I am concerned about the utrogestan.  I will be taking it vaginally so hopefullly I won't have the same side effects as taking it orally.  Any thoughts anyone?

Ladybt28

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 11:48:56 PM »

Rosepetal 73 taking it vaginally means it bypasses the stomach.  It makes it more powerful because it is not digested plus the side effects if you are going to get any are much less, so no nausea.  I take mine at night and in fact any progesterone should be done at night.  Some women who can take it orally without any side effects take it at night because it is supposed to have a slight sedative effect and help sleep.  I cannot take it orally at all but I have no problems using it vaginally.  If you have problems with bleeding the scans show up what the thickness of the womb lining is as if it is too thick then it can become a problem.  If you are under a consultant then you will get this done if you require it but it doesn't need done regularly probably twice a year.

It can be the calming hormone but it can also aggravate depressive tendencies.  I am fairly progesterone intolerant so although I am post meno I use my progesterone on a cycle and not continuously so I have a bleed.  I too would have been as you describe in your first post with postnatal depression, and bad PMT and black despair has been a theme throughout my life since my periods started.  I have tried at least 6 types of hrt since my meno journey started I am 57 but have only got it right in the last 7 months.  I am on 4 pumps of gel every daybecause I need high oestrogen and on 12 days of utrogestan 200mg vaginally, then I bleed for 4 days.  That is how the NHS prescribes it for a cycle.  I wont confuse you but it is possible to extend the cycle and take the progesterone for less days but this either requires the oversight of a consultant or for you to know exactly how your body reacts.

Hurdity provides you with good advice.  Use your gel in the morning and your utrogestan vaginally at night and see how you go.  You will be all over the place when you start and it can take 3 months to settle or even longer.  Mine has only just sorted itself at 6 months.  You must persist there is no quick fix.

Salad

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 12:26:25 AM »

I have just found the notify button  ::)

I still don't know where that is  ;D

Hope you feel better soon  :foryou:

Albertadawn

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 01:51:55 AM »

Apologies for not replying for so long.  I thought I'd get an email to notify me if someone replied to my post but apparently not  :-\

My bloods were taken on day 10 and it was really to check my thyroid and vit d level because my gp refused to do it.  I think the oestrogen dominance was more about the ratio to progesterone rather the level itself? Perhaps the readings will help:

TSH 2.49 mIU/L
Free thyroxine 11.9 pmol
Free T3 - 4.3 pmol
Oestradiol 421 pmol
Progesterone < 0.2 nmol
Free testosterone 1.48 pg/ml
Vit D 38 nmol

I am now on a vit d spray, and B complex with iodine and selenium complex for thyroid support and magnesium citrate (which are huge tablets!).

I have read about reproductive depression and I did suffer mild PMS, the most awful post natal depression after my first child but I was well after my second.  The PMS has certainly got a lot worse since my early forties.

I had read that progesterone is the calming hormone and apparently in Europe they do start ladies with progesterone and then add oestrogen later?  I am so confused - there seem to so many different opinions.  I just want feel well and not just half the person I was before.  I have suffered depression and anxiety on and off so maybe AD's are the way to go?

Hi, I have more of less exactly the same symptoms as you. I went to a clinic that only recommendeds compounded bioidentical hormones. I had low levels of everything and was given progesterone and testosterone cream. Almost immediately I felt better; full of energy, my anxiety stopped and my heart palpitations stopped, it was great! But after 8 weeks I stopped taking them both as I got really angry which I put down to the testosterone and I got very VERY down and depressed taking progesterone every day, even at a low dose. My anxiety came back with a vengeance and I actually had such a bad panic attack that I ended up in A&E which was terrible obviously.
I went to my GP and he has prescribed Estradot and cyclical progesterone gel called crinone. It had to be ordered in and I start this new regime tomorrow. At the moment I'm feeling anxious a lot and bloated-the progesterone was great for weight loss!
I hope we both find something that works for us because I'm almost at the end of my rope with feeling like these symptoms will never go away. I have thought about antidepressants but all that I read about them says that they bring on panic and anxiety especially at the beginning and that's the last thing I need!
Best  of luck and I now need to find the notification button!

Albertadawn

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 01:55:51 AM »

Rosepetal 73 taking it vaginally means it bypasses the stomach.  It makes it more powerful because it is not digested plus the side effects if you are going to get any are much less, so no nausea.  I take mine at night and in fact any progesterone should be done at night.  Some women who can take it orally without any side effects take it at night because it is supposed to have a slight sedative effect and help sleep.  I cannot take it orally at all but I have no problems using it vaginally.  If you have problems with bleeding the scans show up what the thickness of the womb lining is as if it is too thick then it can become a problem.  If you are under a consultant then you will get this done if you require it but it doesn't need done regularly probably twice a year.

It can be the calming hormone but it can also aggravate depressive tendencies.  I am fairly progesterone intolerant so although I am post meno I use my progesterone on a cycle and not continuously so I have a bleed.  I too would have been as you describe in your first post with postnatal depression, and bad PMT and black despair has been a theme throughout my life since my periods started.  I have tried at least 6 types of hrt since my meno journey started I am 57 but have only got it right in the last 7 months.  I am on 4 pumps of gel every daybecause I need high oestrogen and on 12 days of utrogestan 200mg vaginally, then I bleed for 4 days.  That is how the NHS prescribes it for a cycle.  I wont confuse you but it is possible to extend the cycle and take the progesterone for less days but this either requires the oversight of a consultant or for you to know exactly how your body reacts.

Hurdity provides you with good advice.  Use your gel in the morning and your utrogestan vaginally at night and see how you go.  You will be all over the place when you start and it can take 3 months to settle or even longer.  Mine has only just sorted itself at 6 months.  You must persist there is no quick fix.

I really found your post very informative, thanks! I am starting crinone gel and estradot tomorrow, I hope it works. I have health anxiety too so don't like taking any meds really but I have to do something!

Ladybt28

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 11:52:52 AM »

Good luck Albertadawn - let us know how you get on.

regarding the testosterone Rosepetal.  I have been on my gel and utrogestan 6 months.  I only got my testosterone last week.  My consultant said that you need to have the other 2 balanced before adding in testostone and I have read as much here on the forum.  I had beyond ridiculous anxiety/depression, shakes, doom, catastrophising, joint pain and I had those at their worst for more than 7 years.  I was under the mental health team and was seeing a consultant for fibromyalgia.  You can find my story under most of my posts but I really didn't need any of those things it was hormonal. Now after 6 months my list of symptoms was down to 4, low motivation and stamina, lack of libido, still lacking in concentration and trouble getting off to sleep.  I have been on testosterone just over a week and my head feels "clearer", hopefully the rest will follow.  I have been told to use it in very small doses and build up.  I believe (Hurdity is the person for this) that the testosterone interacts with the oestrogen to boost it.  That may not be the right explanation but they work together.  Maybe putting all the 3 together from the get go maybe didn't help your body adjust? You are also having periods so you have your own hormones fluctuating and adding to the hormones you are taking like Hurdity says.  Balance is even harder to achieve during peri because of this.  I had AD's for years but they didn't help me either.

It is so difficult BlueButterfly finds progesterone calming but if I go beyond a certain level it makes me suicidal. I feel for you because I know how hard it is when there is lots going on in family life and you cant function properly.  :foryou: