Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Changed to Elleste Conti from Duet - advice needed please.  (Read 1093 times)

Bellar

Changed to Elleste Conti from Duet - advice needed please.
« on: August 13, 2018, 05:09:13 PM »

Hi Everyone, new to the site and looking for some advice.
I was referred to a meno clinic as I was suffering the usual, hot flushes and really bad night sweats. I hadn't had a period for 11 months and was prescibed Elleste Duet. These helped but the 'small' bleed I was told to expect was horrendous and got worse every month then the night sweats returned. I went back to the clinic and I suggested Ellest Conti as I had been period free for 11 months, the Dr agreed although said ideally should be 12 months period free but agreed for me to try them. Well, first 5 weeks were okish, still got a few night sweats but no hot flushes or bleeding. Then the following week I started getting a brownish mucky discharge for 2 days followed by heavy bleeding for 7 days along with tummy cramp, headaches more night sweats and felt I needed to pee more often. I'm not due back at the meno clinic until December so I'm wondering whether I should persevere and give these tablets more time or try to get an earlier appointment. The Dr suggested that if these didn't work then a mirena coil may be the answer, anyone else had this coil and does it work? I also take Citrapram 20mg which was initially prescribed to help with flushes/sweats. Apart from this I'm in good health, I'm 56. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Dancinggirl

Re: Changed to Elleste Conti from Duet - advice needed please.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 05:44:27 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM
Not a great idea to start with conti HRT if you are not truly post menopause - erratic and//or heavy bleeding will happen.  If you want a non bleed HRT, then have a Mirena fitted and use oestrogen as gel or patch alongside. There will be a bit of bleeding for a few weeks after the Mirena is fitted but this settles quickly and 60% of women don't get any bleeding after that. The best HRT regime I had was the Mirena with Oestrogel

Mirena is a levonorgestrel (type of progestogen) releasing system which sits inside the womb, gradually releasing the progestogen into the womb. It is licensed in the UK and Ireland as a contraceptive agent, for treatment of heavy periods and, from August 2004, also for the progestogen component of HRT. It can be used in both the perimenopause and postmenopause and it is particularly useful for:

Persistent progestogenic side effects from systemic HRT despite changes in type and route of progestogen.
When contraception is required along with HRT in the perimenopause.
When withdrawal bleeds on sequential HRT are heavy, after investigation if indicated. (see WHEN TO BE REFERRED )
With Mirena in place, systemic estrogen alone can be taken as the Mirena provides adequate protection of the womb lining and the estrogen dose and route can be tailored to meet the individual's needs.

Progestogenic absorption throughout the body is minimal so reducing progestogenic side effects. The effect of Mirena on the womb lining can significantly reduce bleeding and when used as part of an HRT regimen, in time, 30 to 60% of women have no bleeding at all. Although Mirena used for contraception is licensed for 5 years, the license for use for the progestogen part of HRT is currently 4 years.

DGx

Bellar

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 06:03:22 PM »

Thanks DG, the chances of me getting an earlier appointment are very slim so I'm hoping things may settle. I did start on the Elleste Duet 1mg but the bleed/symptoms was unbearable which was why I switched to conti. My friends are all anti HRT, they grin and bear it. Thats not for me if there's something to help me on this journey. I do like the thought of the mirena, thanks for the info 🙂

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 06:12:17 PM »

Quality of life is very important and finding an HRT regime that works for you can be trial and error.  Let your friends suffer while you get on with your life.  Nobody can tell them how long meno symptoms will last and HRT can make life much better.  If bleeding is a problem, then the Mirena can work wonders.  Dg x