Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Oestrogel and Oestrodose - they are exactly the same  (Read 45484 times)

Conolly

Re: Oestrogel and Oestrodose - they are exactly the same
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2018, 09:25:22 PM »

Hello ladies,

Back to the Oestrodose v Oestrogel...

Hurdity, what email have you used to contact Besins? I couldn't find any on the main website. The 'Contact Us' only show a Monaco address.

Oh, and I have found an old article when Oestrodose had just been released on the market and it definitely had the carbomer 934p with benzene.

Conolly X
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 09:33:43 PM by Conolly »

Dotty

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2018, 06:40:11 AM »

Hurdity

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2018, 08:01:57 AM »

It's definitely a money thing. The bulk, repackaged in the UK gel (as stated on the sticky label, it IS repackaged here) would be cheaper to import. And thus cheaper to supply on NHS prescription.

Just as a note - Hurdity, you REALLY have to see the bottles of Oestrodose yourself in person to see what we mean. Us, the users, know what we're talking about. Regardless of what Besins may have emailed you - it does state (as I said above) on a sticker on the bottles that it is repackaged in the UK. I have bottles of both here at the moment and have pumped out both on a cool tile to do an experiment earlier. I waited 30 minutes and the Oestrodose gel started 'spreading' whereas the Estrogel pump of gel stayed in a firmer cosistency. (Wish we could post photo's on this forum - hey, those of us who developed rashes could even have compared those too if it were possible)!

So - there is a consistency problem at least. I can also have access to very precision measuring equipment too via a biochemist relative, and i'm going to have the dose sizes analysed. I'll post the results here.

I'm not letting this one go, i'm afraid! I also mean to find out what some of us are reacting to in the Oestrodose - again, I can ask for professional advice on this. Conolly has given me some great suggestions on where to start. xxxx

I've only just seen that there are lots of different posts on this thread - was away and busy.

Tempest - yes I know I haven't seen the gels but I have a friend who has been using them for 11 years and has either Oestrogel or Oestrodose 50% of the time and has not observed any difference in consistency and has seen them and pumped them out side by side. Obviously this is not a precision measurement though.... however Besins report that the two products are identical.

You said earlier about repackaging - I reported from Besins that repackaging consists of changing the pump mechanism and outer box. The inner pouch of Oestrodose/Oestrogel remains as it was when it left Besins - with estradiol gel inside it. It doesn't really matter where this is carried out if it is done using the estradiol gel manufactured by Besins in Belgium.

I also reported that Besins do state that they have no control over storage conditions of the product once it leaves their premises although stability studies have been carried out to high temperatures.

As I also said if anyone has an allergic reaction - this is serious and does suggest that something fishy is going on - and this could be with the parallel importer. I am sure I reported that Besins themselves want to know of any such instances so any bottles etc should be kept.

I would be intersted to hear the results of any further investigations!

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2018, 08:15:12 AM »

Hello ladies,

Back to the Oestrodose v Oestrogel...

Hurdity, what email have you used to contact Besins? I couldn't find any on the main website. The 'Contact Us' only show a Monaco address.

Oh, and I have found an old article when Oestrodose had just been released on the market and it definitely had the carbomer 934p with benzene.

Conolly X

Connolly - I used this address which was on one of the product info sites - maybe the SPC? [email protected]. My replies come from:  Medical Information Department ProPharma Group on behalf of Besins Healthcare (UK) Ltd.  The actual letter is on Besins headed "paper".

Re the different ingredients - my correspondence established that according to Besins all the estradiol gel suppled to UK France and Belgium is manufactured in Belgium in their lab and their formulation has not changed for many years so the carbomer issue should not be a factor even though Oestrodose is manufactured elswehere in the world for different markets.  I haven't asked specifically about this though and could do so.

I haven't checked all my posts but I'm pretty sure I also said that if there is a difference - and an allergic reaction to one not the other - this would ba a crucial mark of something going on which is why the product should be retained and the manufacturers contacted.

I also said that I did contact the parallel importer (a global company) about this issue but have had no reply.....

There remains the possibility ( did I also mention this?) that the parallel import company could be repackaging Oestrodose/Oestrogel manufactured elsewhere in the world as if it were Besins Oestrodose from Belgium - which is the genuine stuff! This is where any investigation should focus I think as well as reporting any allergic reactions.

Connolly - glad you're taking this one too - perhaps between us we can get to the bottom of it  ::) - do pm me if you want any info on my correspondence. Do let me know if you write to one of these and who you have written to!

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2018, 08:35:54 AM »

Also there were some remarks further back about perceived differences and posts about this being about views and whether someone was right or wrong. It is absolutely not about this at all!!!!

From my point of view I was genuinely puzzled about all of this - as I have said several times, and especially as I have a friend who has used the two products for years so wanting to get to the bottom of things and amidst all the rumours of what was going on and stuff being imported from elsewhere or an inferior product being manufactured - wrote to Besins. I have no axe to grind whatsoever but as a scientist (retired!) am intrigued. I thought I would do this to try to help and attempt to solve an ongoing controversy...

Re perceived differences - as is said frequently  –  we are all individuals, so we will respond differently to different types of HRT such as gel, patches, and tablets – and one particular method and dose (or a combination of methods) will suit us best – at one particular phase of our lives or all of it.    We will also individually respond differently to other women to the same product such as estradiol gel even the same product at the same concentration. Equally we will respond differently ourselves on different occasions to exactly the same product – which in the case of estradiol gel could be: where we are in menopause, products on our skin, the ambient temperature, our body temperature (skin surface)  the location on the body of the gel application, and the size of area that it is spread on – and probably other factors too. All these may affect how quickly and how much of the product is absorbed and therefore systemic levels of the estradiol in our body.

Therefore when using Oestrogel/Oestrodose – there are likely to be variations in how much is absorbed, and this will vary from woman to woman and from time to time, with some women noticing the difference and others not.

As mentioned on the other thread, there is also likely to be a strong placebo effect (in some women) re Oestrogel and Oestrodose and the apparent “superiority” of Oestrogel. This does NOT mean that any PERCEIVED difference is imaginary – far from it – but that the EXPECTATION that Oestrogel is superior (because this was the name given to the estradiol gel for the UK market - that was originally named Oestrodose in Belgium/France as I understand)  leads to the ACTUAL result that it has a superior effect.  As I said on the other thread, the placebo effect is responsible for a large (and very important) part of any response to a treatment (conventional or alternative) which is why placebo controlled trials are essential for measuring the effectiveness of any treatment that results from that treatment alone.

The notion that Oestrodose is inferior to Oestrogel is quite natural – as they are packaged completely differently – and in the absence of any other information, it is only natural to think that this was a differently manufactured generic product which did not perform as well as the real original (UK) branded product Oestrogel. This was compounded by all the rumours about where Oestrodose was manufactured compared to  Oestrogel.

The correspondence I had with Besins established that the two products are exactly the same – Oestrodose is just the French name given to Oestrogel, and also used in other countries. I  have had four letters from them which are quite detailed and the contents of which I posted on the other thread. The aim was to find out the facts behind the two products (partly for my own curiosity!) and then to reassure women who were using Oestrodose, NOT to expect any difference whatsoever (other than difference to the same product or because they are respondingly differently for reasons given above).

As I said in the post below - there still remains a possible explanation in some cases, that there is some shady business going on that Besins are unaware of – that the parallel importer when repackaging (btw this does not mean filling the inner pouches – it just means putting the inner pouches in different outer plastic pump mechanism and carton and changing the leaflet) is occasionally using batches of Oestrogel imported from elsewhere in the world which could account for some difference - (and worryingly an allergic reaction to a different ingredient) and also if it was happening sporadically - would also explain why some women experience a difference sometimes and not others. As I said before - Besins want to know about this....

The difference in consistency - if consistently different   ::) - is a starting point but easy to resolve in terms of batch numbers as MIS71MUM suggests.

Hurdity x

happysappy1

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2018, 03:29:46 PM »

Hi, this may be going off topic slightly but I could really do with some advice. I am 57 and stopped Elleste Duet 2mg about 2 months ago due to not being able to cope with the progestin part. After a consultation with prof Studd  I have been on 3 pumps of estrogel per day, testim and 7 days utrogestan for about 12 weeks now. My problem is that although I have been applying the estrogel correctly (upper arms, inner thighs etc) it feels as though some of my previous menopausal symptoms are returning-bladder weakness, weepiness, depression, insomnia etc. I was ok on the 7 days utrogestan and it does help  me to sleep. Although my libido is a little better, I just don't feel as good as I did on when I was on oral estradiol. It feels like the estrogel isn't strong enough to deal with my symptoms. I have been  applying all 3 pumps in the morning to see if this helps, but the effects seem to vary day to day as regards my menopausal symptoms breaking through? What I would like to know is do you think it would be possible to use the utrogestan and testim  with 2mg oral estradiol and would prof stud sanction/ prescribe this when I next see him, or should I increase the estrogel to 4 pumps and give it another month? I am really fed up that it doesn't seem to be as effective as I hoped, as I would much prefer to stay on biodential estradiol.

Conolly

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2018, 03:56:10 PM »

Hello ladies,

Thank you Dotty and Hurdity for the links. I'll keep you posted on my investigation 🕵🏻‍♀️😎.

Here's the article I have quoted above  [size=78%]http://www.em-consulte.com/en/article/114046[/size]

I speak a bit of French so if anyone is interested I can translate it 😂

Hello happysappy1,

I'm not on HRT so can't help you, sorry. Maybe you should start a new thread or post on one of the many Prof Studd regimen threads. Hope you find helpful advice for your issues.

Conolly X

Hurdity

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2018, 07:40:52 AM »

As I said above, they are different. If you Google Oestrodose + 934p you will have many hits. If you Google Oestrogel + 934p you won't have any. If you Google Oestrodose + 980 or Oestrogel + 980 you will have many hits. Meaning... some Oestrodose (and also Estrogel, sold in US and other countries) has the 934p thickener which is not as thick ie runnier, as the 980 that has been developed later to replace the 934p which contains BENZENE, a very toxic substance.

https://knowledge.ulprospector.com/7868/pcc-carbomers-slideshow/

Saying that ‘All Oestrogel/Oestrodose sold to/in the UK is produced in the Belgium Besins plant' doesn't mean  the inactive ingredients are produced by this plant. They are not. So... maybe there are some old batches of Oestrodose still on the market that have the 934p carbomer/carbopol thickener.

Conolly X

Thanks for the link in your last post Connolly - I also speak some French and the page was also automatically translated for me! It is interesting historically - ie that Besins changed their formulation of Oestrodose in 2000 or thereabouts when they changed the carbomer you referred to - but the comparison in the paper was with a completely different gel anyway. This is consistent with their (Besins) explanation to me that the formulation has not changed in recent times. Another change in carbomer would consitute a change in formulation.

It is extremely unlikely that any Oestrodose made before 2000 is still on the market!!  I think we can discount that explanation on the basis of information given so far.

What are you intending to ask Besins - I can let you know the specific questions I have asked and had answered, to save going over the same ground if you like?

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2018, 07:44:26 AM »

Its so frustrating and i hear conflicting information from all of them. On a more cheery note i managed to get an appointment this morning and the GP i saw was great. She gave me another prescription, took it to Lloyds and i now have Estrogel 😁. She is the only GP/ Pharmacist i have spoken to who hasnt insisted that there is no difference between them and said if there is a difference in consistency i could be absorbing them differently and perhaps not getting the correct dosage.

Hi allie007 - yes as I also said, if there was a difference in consistency then this would affect absorption but I doubt the pharmacy has the information from Besins which I obtained recently which clarified that the two products are exactly the same - ie Oestrogel is Oestrodose repackaged for UK market by the parallel importer (pump mechanism and carton only). Remember that the consistency may also be affected by the storage conditions for the gel and also your own body temeprature - if your skin is warmer it will appear runnier (most likely!).

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2018, 07:52:25 AM »

Just another thought about the 2 gels, if I was to purchase at the online clinic based in London, get a private prescription filled at a BMI hospital or Gypsy Rose Lee would get it from Studd's pharmacy, you'd get estrogel.
If I go to my local Lloyds or Boots, I get Oestradose more often that not.

How much of this is about money?

Are Besins creating a two tier product maybe?

Hi MIS71MUM - the purpose of my research and correspondence with Besins was to find out about this and the one thing I have established is that fortunately Besins are not creating a two tier product - if you have a look at the first few posts in this thread! They are exactly the same and it's just the name that is different. The only question mark we have is whether there is a problem with the paraellel importer - all the Oestrodose/Oestrogel in UK is the same but some has been repackaged by the parallel importer and the pump mechanism/carton changed. All the info we have states that this is manufactured by Besins so unless there is something fishy going on re the parellel importer - which would be fraudulent - we have to assume they are identical. If not the packages must be returned to the manufacturer or if an allergic reaction is found - reported to the appropriate authorities. Yes it is about money because the parallel import is cheaper - I think it's similar eg to Weetabix or other branded foods - you can buy the branded stuff which is more expensive or you can get the supermarket one "Wheat biscuits" which I presume is the same stuff repackaged and sold cheaper. it doesn't mean it's inferior!

Hurdity  x

Hurdity

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2018, 08:22:43 AM »

I don't understand the complexity of HRT but I certainly understand that allergic reaction can occur with anything we take. This can happen even if it is something you have been taking for some while. My mum had a severe allergic reaction to a medication she had been taking for two years.

Looks like we have to watch our own back on issues like this. Listen to our bodies. Do our own research and not get fobbed off by medics.

That's a very good point - but doesn't explain why the Oestrodose caused an allergic reaction and stopped when returning to the Oestrogel - which is why, if this occurs, the carton and product needs to be retained and reported to the authorities because it could mean something illegal going on.

Hurdity x

Conolly

« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2018, 02:09:42 PM »

As I said above, they are different. If you Google Oestrodose + 934p you will have many hits. If you Google Oestrogel + 934p you won't have any. If you Google Oestrodose + 980 or Oestrogel + 980 you will have many hits. Meaning... some Oestrodose (and also Estrogel, sold in US and other countries) has the 934p thickener which is not as thick ie runnier, as the 980 that has been developed later to replace the 934p which contains BENZENE, a very toxic substance.

https://knowledge.ulprospector.com/7868/pcc-carbomers-slideshow/

Saying that ‘All Oestrogel/Oestrodose sold to/in the UK is produced in the Belgium Besins plant' doesn't mean  the inactive ingredients are produced by this plant. They are not. So... maybe there are some old batches of Oestrodose still on the market that have the 934p carbomer/carbopol thickener.

Conolly X

Thanks for the link in your last post Connolly - I also speak some French and the page was also automatically translated for me! It is interesting historically - ie that Besins changed their formulation of Oestrodose in 2000 or thereabouts when they changed the carbomer you referred to - but the comparison in the paper was with a completely different gel anyway. This is consistent with their (Besins) explanation to me that the formulation has not changed in recent times. Another change in carbomer would consitute a change in formulation.

It is extremely unlikely that any Oestrodose made before 2000 is still on the market!!  I think we can discount that explanation on the basis of information given so far.

What are you intending to ask Besins - I can let you know the specific questions I have asked and had answered, to save going over the same ground if you like?

Hurdity x
http://agence-prd.ansm.sante.fr/php/ecodex/notice/N0303717.htm

This is from 2017. Maybe I need some French lessons 😂

Conolly X

SueLW

« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2018, 02:47:50 PM »

I finished a bottle of Estrogel last week and started a bottle of Estrodose.  The consistency is identical.

During the heatwave the Estrogel was looser, wetter and dried faster as I would expect. 

I am struggling with some symptoms, mainly bloating and low mood.  But these are just as likely to be a random dip as anything or my body trying to get to grips with the new HRT route I'm using.

I was worried about the switch to Estrodose until Hardily put her research out.  Then I decided all was well and just got on with it.

Hurdity

« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2018, 07:42:50 PM »

Well that is very confusing Conolly because Besins have repeatedly said that the product is one and the same - and have said that the formulation has not changed for many years. Definitely needs clarification. Also as I reported ealrier Oestrogel is Oestrodose labelled for the UK market as Oestrogel. They use the words exactly the same - a different carbomer is not exactly the same!

Not sure what you mean about the French lessons?  :-\

SueLW - most women do not notice any difference - and as you say, as i also pointed out there will be differences in consistency with different ambinet and body temperatures - inresting that you noticed this. I also noticed it with my testosterone gel too - sometimes when hot it would almost drip off my leg whereas others eg now it's cooler it stays in a blob and I can rub it in. I'm glad it's all working well for you :)

Hurdity x

Conolly

« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2018, 08:34:03 PM »

Hello Hurdity,

It was just s joke 😬

There are some inconsistencies regarding the carbomer, no doubt about that. As I said before, Estrogel (same Besins) in the US and other markets still has the 934 carbomer
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/nda/2004/21166_EstrogelTOC.cfm

Maybe during the latest shortage of both Oestrogel (UK) and Oestrodose (February, France),  they had resorted to batches from other plants as an emergency measure?
Just a thought.

Conolly X

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11