Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Magnesium  (Read 10540 times)

Roseneath

Re: Magnesium
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 12:27:56 PM »

Just to report the last 24 hours have been rubbish; bad sleep, jittery, tingly, anxious so now am of a mind to ditch the Magnesium and / or Vit D and stick with the Multi Vits. I find all this so very hard ladies! How can we know if what we take has any good effect when everything is so up and down. Hard to make any decision when feeling awful and easy to have good intentions when feeling better!

Angel1964

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 05:54:46 PM »

Crikey!  I give up!  Many nutritionists recommend Magnesium as Citrate, taken in the evening.

Others insist you cannot take a Magnesium supplement without Calcium as well.

On top of that, I have also read recent articles that state Magnesium L-threonate is the best if you are Peri-menopausal.

Can a professional or expert in the field of Peri-menopause, please enlighten me and every other confused woman out there?

Thank you.

I tried Citrate and was worse. Then read it acted like a stimulant!! So I haven't tried any others.

Angel1964

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 07:43:33 PM »

Just to report the last 24 hours have been rubbish; bad sleep, jittery, tingly, anxious so now am of a mind to ditch the Magnesium and / or Vit D and stick with the Multi Vits. I find all this so very hard ladies! How can we know if what we take has any good effect when everything is so up and down. Hard to make any decision when feeling awful and easy to have good intentions when feeling better!

I tried Citrate it made me worse, really jittery, clenching teeth, so anxious. I then read Citrate can act like a stimulant, so ditched it and went back on Menopace Plus xx

Smokey1234

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 08:47:21 PM »

I've been taking Mega Mag400mg in liquid form it's natural ionic magnesium I take it in orange juice as it has horrible mineral taste on its own the dose is in ml I take 4 each day split into two doses.

I'm hoping it helps my sleep and my constipation which is caused by the meds I take.

According to reviews on Amazon site it should start working after about three weeks of taking it especially for aches and pains, so we shall see I'm on week two.

Shadyglade

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2018, 03:21:27 PM »

Just dug-out my copy of 'The miracle of magnesium', by Dr Carolyn Dean. A very informative book on all aspects of the benefits of magnesium. She recommends magnesium oxide, purely because it's the cheapest to buy. If you get loose stools she says reduce the dose as it is an indication you are taking too much.

I believe she has a website if you want to check it out.  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2018, 06:47:06 PM »

I have checked it out. She's American. She sells a product she has developed. That's all I need to know  ;D

Seriously though - I don't get it about magnesium - this woman lists a whole lot of conditions triggered or caused by magnesium deficiency. Fair enough - but she assumes that everyone is deficient and therefore needs to take a supplement - specifically the unique supplement/preparation she has developed, in order to alleviate all these symptoms. Aside from the fact that many of these symptoms  are caused/affected presumably by numerous deficiencies or other health conditions, the assumption that we must all be deficient if we experience thse symptoms is surely dubious. We should (most of us) be able to get all the magnesium we need from our diet and this surely is what everyone should be focussing on (apart from those groups who fall into particular categories - the elderly, those with chronic digestive conditions preventing absorption etc).

Here I'm not talking about the use of magnesium in pharmaceutical quantities for medicinal purposes (like eg using Milk of Magnesium for upset tum - which has nothing to do with magnesium deficiency) - and I don't think this doc is either - she is talking about deficiency. Surprise surprise she seems to think it doesn't matter if you take it when you don't need it, and don't need a blood test to tell you whether you need it or not! Call me a sceptic ::)

Those of you who are using it - is this for medicinal purposes and if so do you have any links to studies about this because I'm not familiar with what ailments and conditions it is used for - I presume you are not all taking it because you think you are deficient? Lots of people seem to take it and I'm not clear why - so any further information (but not from someone selling stuff!!!) would be welcome.  Thanks :)

Hurdity x

Shadyglade

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2018, 08:20:52 PM »

Err, I always do my research thanks Hurdity, and have taken magnesium for years. Being American is not a crime and I always take several sources of information. I am sure you can do research as well. It's all out there. I don't expect you to agree with those of us that take it but don't dismiss it out of hand.

Annie0710

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2018, 09:30:30 PM »

Magnesium greatly decreases muscle cramps, helps keep bowels regular (fruit does it for me too) and can help reduce Palpitations, they're my reasons for restarting the supplements each time I forget to take them

Cassie

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2018, 08:30:13 AM »

Most of us are deficient in magnesium, I find it helps tremendously with leg cramps and palpitations.

Shadyglade

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2018, 08:50:32 AM »

Ditto leg cramps plus twitching eye and muscle stiffness. Also helps my energy levels.

Shadyglade

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2018, 12:26:28 PM »

Thanks for that sparkle.

Says it in a nutshell.   :)

dahliagirl

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2018, 12:33:02 PM »

I have read that there is not enough of it in green vegetables in America and that is why they think they are usually deficient.

I am not sure about UK - agricultural practices and soils are different.

I take it with my vitD. I took vit D after finding it was low in a blood test.  It helped so much with my aches and pains in the joints, but they came back.  I read somewhere that once your VitD rises, you use up the Magnesium stores and it is the Magnesium that stops the aches and pains.  I take a small amount in a joint supplement.  It is enough to make a difference for me.  You are supposed to take 3 of them a day but they give me tummy upsets, despite usually being constipated and one seems to do the job (and I bought a whole bally load of them, 3 for 2, at great expense  >:( so have to use them somehow).

dahliagirl

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2018, 12:35:55 PM »

Thanks Sparkle - that article said what I was trying to  :)

Smokey1234

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2018, 02:29:51 PM »

Hi everyone

I've changed from magnesium liquid to spray and have now been on it a week so far, I spray it on the bottom of my feet every evening, I'm hoping it helps with sleep and general aches and pains.

jaypo

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2018, 08:40:02 AM »

Hi paisley, I use this one https://www.bodykind.com/product/299-high-absorption-magnesium-120-x-100mg-tablets.aspx, it's lysinate glycinate chelate. I use it for anxiety and sleep, I take 2 every night 1 hour before bed. My husband uses it for leg cramps too.
Thanks abbafan,just bought this,hopefully will help with the anxiety x
Pages: 1 [2] 3