Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: What did we do before the internet ?  (Read 1860 times)

Tiddles

What did we do before the internet ?
« on: July 16, 2018, 09:15:16 AM »

Just browsing around on here  and thinking about how much this forum is valued by so many for its information and support. Which got me thinking - what did women like us do before the internet ? Where did they go for information and especially the kind of support we get on here? Not from friends surely since many of us posting on here have said that their friends cant help unless they're lucky enough to have one who's experienced what were experiencing.xx

Shadyglade

Re: What did we do before the internet ?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 09:28:21 AM »

Well people would have had to find local groups (if there were any available).  We are lucky to have so much information and help, via the internet, today.  However, there are down sides.  Not all information is helpful and some can be dangerous.  Also the internet itself is a source of frustration.  At the moment I am waiting for a engineer to call.  Problems with the phone socket and internet speeds at 10% of what it should be.  Somehow I start to panic if I can't get online.

Sad or what. ::)

Tiddles

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 09:38:56 AM »

I'm with you on that Shadyglade. When I moved into this remote house I had 2 weeks without a phone or internet and the mobile network I was on didn't work. It was hell 😂😂😂. The night I remembered I had a radio that could connect me to the outside world felt like Christmas. Jo Wiley will always have a place in my heart for that 😁😁😁 Good luck with the engineer !

Shadyglade

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 10:06:31 AM »

Thanks Tiddles.  He has just been.  Put in a new socket and only charged me £20.  BT were asking £130. (Yeah right ???).  Seems to be working okay so far.  Finger crossed.

Tiddles

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 10:33:03 AM »

Yay ! Result ! Xx

Tiddles

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 10:58:22 AM »

Hear hear ! 💛💛💛

Dotty

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 11:13:07 AM »

Well said Jeaniewigs.

I'm so much better now after 5 months on the right HRT and I stay on here in the hope I can stop anyone going through the hell that I've been through .

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 08:05:33 PM »

Hello ladies.

This forum has helped me so much. It is a unique resource and I'm extremely grateful to Dr Currie and the wonderful ladies who post here. I assume that before the internet women were unable to compare treatments and were simply unaware of the various options available. It is the best kind of information exchange and my mother would have loved it!

Wishing you all well.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 09:20:49 PM »

Over-all people weren't as mobile so women talked amongst themselves: Grannies, Gt Aunts, Aunts, Sisters, Cousins - probably prompted by hot flushes   ......   also, in general there weren't as many options for treatments when we consider how far cancer, particularly childhood leukaemia has come on in leaps and bounds. 

GPs also gave their patients as much time as was required.  During my childhood we went to the Surgery at opening time and sat in the Waiting Room, being called in order - sometimes my Doctor didn't finish until 8.00 p.m. unless he was called away to an emergency.  I don't remember there being a Nurse present 'cos parents took children to the GP then.  There was often a wife in the background to be called in when necessary.