Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Cutting Patches in Half to Wean off or Lessen Strength  (Read 3919 times)

karenja

Cutting Patches in Half to Wean off or Lessen Strength
« on: November 13, 2014, 06:52:37 PM »

Hi Im struggling on hrt or maybe its just symptoms in general Im on my fourth hrt preparation Femseven sequi, I started progesterone patch today and ended up cutting it in half mid way through the day as I felt strange, Ive been struggling even on the estrogen, last night had really tight chest and was worried most of the night didn't sleep well, Im at the stage where I don't know whether to wean myself off hrt or is it ok just to cut the patches see how it goes? Im scared to come off because my anxiety may get even worst and the though of night sweats and flushes coming back is not good x

Limpy

Re: Cutting Patches in Half to Wean off or Lessen Strength
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 07:17:10 PM »

Karenja - I think many ladies have problems with the progesterone phase of patches. It's probably worth giving it a little longer to see if you settle down with it. As you say, it's the 4th HRT preparation you've tried, these things take time to settle down.

I believe it's OK to cut patches, BUT, if it were me I would want to change the dose on the oestrogen to the same level as the progesterone patches to make sure the hormone levels balanced out.

Hopefully somebody who knows what they are talking about will be along soon.

kiltgirl

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 08:13:05 PM »

Hi Im struggling on hrt or maybe its just symptoms in general Im on my fourth hrt preparation Femseven sequi, I started progesterone patch today and ended up cutting it in half mid way through the day as I felt strange, Ive been struggling even on the estrogen, last night had really tight chest and was worried most of the night didn't sleep well, Im at the stage where I don't know whether to wean myself off hrt or is it ok just to cut the patches see how it goes? Im scared to come off because my anxiety may get even worst and the though of night sweats and flushes coming back is not good x

Hi Karenja, i can relate to what you've said. I've whipped off patches in the middle of the night when feeling wired or like I want to scream etc.
I'm not sure why...if it were just the side effects that might wear off i could prob cope...maybe we don't trust our GPs to know what we need and watch out for every sign of it not being right, instead of waiting for it to work, riding out the rough patches (sorry for the pun)
Vicious circle really, the hormones can make you feel more anxious, which in turn will make us feel more like it's doomed before we let it work its magic...not sure if that makes any sense!?

I cut my patches in half, the estrogen was way too much for me in peri, full-dose evorel 50 sequi...

yikes...sometimes OK, but still got my own hormones too (at times!?), cut the 2nd phase in half too

is easier said than done, try to give it a little time, maybe keep a diary of how you're feeling daily? you might notice improvements which could give you some confidence xx

Suzyq

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 03:39:22 AM »

Patience is the key! Just as it takes time for estrogen to settle down, it can be difficult taking progesterone. Keep a diary and bear in mind that if you're peri you will still have bad days/weeks! I almost gave up several times but persevered until I found a regime that suited! It's a pain but worth it in the end....  Some days I feel weird but I just try to relax about it - before hrt I felt like I was dying every day, so this is better!

Hope tomorrow is a better day

karenja

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 06:26:34 AM »

Thanks yet again for your replies and advice I'm going to see how it goes with the half patches off a bit cutting both the progesterone and estrogen patches my  anxiety is really getting to me though see my new post today feeling sorry for myself :((( x

Nicola060

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 10:06:46 AM »

Hi karenja I was just wondering how you got on cutting your dwn seven sequi patches in half was this ok for you or did you end up changing hrt thanks Nicola

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 10:47:06 AM »

Hi Nicola060

:welcomemm:

This is a very old thread and karenja has not been on the forum for some time - this thread/post goes back to 2014! Might I suggest you introduce yourself in the new Members section or post your query with a new title in "All Things Menopause" the busiest menopause section of the forum and hopefully someone will come along with their experience.

Hurdity x