Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Kefir  (Read 8293 times)

Daisydot

Re: Kefir
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2018, 09:01:56 PM »

Hi spangles that's brill I'll pop in tomorrow and try them thank so much xx

Hi Wilks no probs I wrongly assumed because I can alter the ph in my urine it would be the same for blood.Im on a learning curve lol it's definately challenging this old grey matter but I enjoy it and it's lovely to share info the way we do to try and help each other xx

Daisydot

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2018, 07:21:51 AM »

Morning Wilks can I just ask this as it's been bothering me.If as you say we can't influence the ph in our blood with diet why then does diet influence the rise in Uric acid that causes the attacks of gout,do you know the answer to this with your science background sorry I'm not challenging you I'm just curious as I can't bear to see him hurting and hobbling around between attacks.they are much fewer now maybe once or twice a year and we do know what triggers it but he's a greedy wee bugger and risks it then suffers the consequences,he doesent drink or smoke by the way just likes his grub lol..Is there more I can do to control the Uric acid that you know of.thanks Wilks xx

tika

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2018, 07:50:20 AM »

Daisydot my Partner suffers from occasionally and his doctor gave him a list of foods to eat and to avoid, purine foods that are acidic are to be avoided.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/316526-alkaline-diet-to-treat-gout/

It can be difficult to stick to the recommendations advice especially as he likes tinned sardines and pate.

He has had blood tests which showed his uric acid levels to be higher then normal, after sticking to the diet they came back satisfactory.

We were taught that surprisingly though lemons seem very acidic they are alkaline.

https://www.verywellfit.com/alkaline-acid-diet-89879
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 08:20:55 AM by tika »

Daisydot

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2018, 12:39:18 PM »

Hi Tika yes this is why I'm questioning wether or not it effects the blood ph because I've always worked on the basis of using an alkaline diet to adjust my urine ph balance and it works a treat as you know and although Wilks is correct and everything says an alkaline diet will not effect blood ph levels it seems very contradictory to me because we know certain foods cause the flare up of the Uric crystals that's cause all the gout pain so therefore by avoiding those foods we can limit the amount of gout attacks so is that not a contradiction of what we are being told.
Sorry Wilks I'm honestly not getting at you I'm just intrigued at the logic of this because as you rightly said it does state you can't alter blood ph levels.
And yes tika I use fresh lemon in water in mornings when I need to reduce ph in urine.Fascinating isn't it.xx

Daisydot

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2018, 12:41:14 PM »

Hi Spangles I got the kefir flavoured drinks one of each to try,the honey and mint one is really lovely strange combination isn't it but it works,thanks so much for that I'm converted again lol xx

Wilks

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2018, 01:06:52 PM »

Hi Daisydot,
Just a quick reply as I'm at work.
In a nutshell, the pH of your blood only fluctuates very slightly. The kidneys perform an important role in maintaining the correct pH balance of your blood, and they do that by excreting excess acid in the urine. That's why your urine can be acidic even though your blood isn't.

Regarding gout- a diet low in purines is recommended because the body converts purines to uric acid. So if someone with gout eats fewer purine-containing foods, they make less uric acid and so have less of a problem with uric acid crystals in their joints.
It's not to do with the acidity of the purines.
Hope that helps, but I can explain further tonight xx

Wilks

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2018, 01:10:24 PM »

Daisydot: I Forgot to add that drinking plenty of water can help with gout.
I have a friend with gout who swears by a cherry extract that he buys from a health food store. I'm not sure of the name of it but I could ask him if you like? X

Daisydot

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2018, 01:30:31 PM »

Hi Wilks great explanation answers so much bouncing around in my head.thanks so much for your time.Xx

tika

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2018, 05:27:01 PM »

It does seem confusing Daidydot found another site that explains more

" Uric acid is normally cleaned out of the blood by the kidneys, and passes out of the body along with urine. However, high levels of uric acid can accumulate in the body, either when the kidneys excrete too little uric acid or when the body produces too much uric acid. This condition is known as hyperuricemia, according to the NIH.

The high concentration of uric acid in the blood will eventually convert the acid into urate crystals, which can then accumulate around the joints and soft tissues. Deposits of the needle-like urate crystals are responsible for the inflammation and the painful symptoms of gout"

https://www.livescience.com/34729-gout-causes-symptoms-treatment.html

The anti inflammatory diet is another way of eating that really helps with health , I have my partner on this as much as he will comply lol

https://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/arthritis-diet/anti-inflammatory/anti-inflammatory-diet.php  sorry if i have gone off topic but its all connected I think, food as your medicine. 

Daisydot

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2018, 05:42:15 AM »

Morning tika thanks so much for that info yes my poor wee head goes into overdrive lol.
I do love to learn new things.especially now I'm feeling human again lol,I know it sounds daft but after I had the head injury I couldn't get enough of it I trawled through things like nobodies business and if something didn't make sense to me I didn't give up I kept reading and learning as much as I could,the problem I have is I can't remember short term,I can recall fine detail from 40 years back but don't ask me what I ate two days ago I have no memory of it and it frustrates me very much but I'm getting better I make myself work at it.
Food and drink does play a massive role in everything we do your right there and that's why I sing the praises of these old remedies like kefir they have such a big influence on our lives but also you have to be aware of the downsides so you know how to adjust to get the best from them.thank you again tika and Wilks great posts xx

Spangles

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2018, 09:44:58 PM »

Hi Daisydot,
I'm glad you found them to your taste, my favorite is also honey and mint, it's so gentle.
Hope they work for you xXx
Pages: 1 2 [3]