Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Mirena or femestan ?  (Read 1976 times)

Sammas

Mirena or femestan ?
« on: July 16, 2018, 05:42:47 AM »

Hi, due to symptoms mentioned on other posts I am now seriously considering both Mirena and femestan having read through various posts What are your thoughts? Have bad tension headaches so don't want these to get worse.
Thanks S x

Dancinggirl

Re: Mirena or femestan ?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 07:39:52 AM »

Perhaps try Femoston first but only the sequential version and if this isn't better then try the Mirena.
DG x

Sammas

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 07:48:50 AM »

What is the sequential one? Why would you choose that over coil? Thanks S x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 10:01:17 AM »

Sammaa - If you look under TREATMENTS (at the top of this page) you will see the different HRT treatments.

I'm afraid I can't remember your particular problems or what if any HRT types you have tried, but I generally suggest it is best to try sequential versions of any HRT pill or combined HRT patch and tolerate the monthly bleed, so you can ascertain whether the progesterone suits you or not. If having tried the sequential versions of an HRT and it seems to suit you OK, then, if you are fully post menopause, you can switch to the continuous version. If you are peri menopause (so still not 12 months without a natural period or over 54) then a sequential HRT is necessary. If you are fully post menopause then a continuous HRT can be used but is not essential - many women choose to stick with a sequential HRT regime well into post menopause to reduce progesterone side effects.

The Mirena is the exception to all the rules as it is usually used as a contraceptive but is now also a very popular part of an HRT regime (for both peri and post meno) because is often gives fewer progesterone side effects. Around 60% of women have little or no bleeding with the Mirena in place and you can use as little or as much oestrogen as gel, patch or pills alongside.  It does need to be replaced every 4 years ( I think this may change to 5 years soon). It is also very effective at protecting the womb lining and can help prevent and even shrink fibroids.

Femoston has one of the kinder progesterones so suits many women very well so this is why I suggested you try this first adn if you don't like it, you can then go for the Mirena. 

If you are peri menopause, then bad headaches are a common symptom, so HRT may well reduce these. If you are prone to tension headaches then HRT may not make these worse but some appropriate exercise and relaxation techniques may be very helpful.  Making small but significant lifestyle changes can be very important when meno hits so do look at diet (when and how you eat as well - small meals regularly can reduce headaches and do cut out as much sugar as possible). Brisk walking for 10 mins, three times a day, can work wonders.  I practise Mindfulness and find this great.  DG x

Sammas

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 07:51:34 PM »

Thanks DG for your reply I walk regularly and have recently started yoga and swimming I have been to a mindfulness session HRT still scares me but it's the fear of the unknown x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 09:22:54 PM »

Sammas - why does HRT scare you?  Quality of life is important and if menopause symptoms are making life difficult then finding the right HRT can help enormously.  Too much is made of the risks of HRT and to little is told about the benefits. HRT benefits the heart and bones for the long term and will reduce menopause symptoms allowing women to get on with life better.  Live for today, tomorrow will take care of itself.  DG x

Sammas

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 05:35:20 AM »

Very true DG I suppose it's reading that some people have to try different HRT and can feel worse before feeling better x

Miabella

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 05:58:33 AM »

I have the same worries about HRT and finding one that works. Don't feel I could cope with feeling any worse than I do just now

Dotty

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 06:50:29 AM »

Hi please don't worry about taking hrt. There are thousands of women who are taking it successfully. Remember that on these forums you will only get ladies who are suffering but they are a minority. Hrt should make you feel better not worse!

I think I've already posted on another of your threads to say have a look at Dr Newson's website.  mymenopausedoctor.com

Sammas

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 07:45:42 AM »

I have messaged the doc you mentioned Miabella I have private messaged you x

Miabella

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 08:38:29 AM »

Sammas, I am getting your messages and have replied to all 3. Are you getting mine?