Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Upset and shocked!!  (Read 6969 times)

renee

Re: Upset and shocked!!
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2018, 02:23:49 PM »

Thankfully I took the advice on the thyroid uk site and didnt take my thyroxine this morning and no food.

The nurse who took my bloods is the designated thyroid nurse and promised me she would personally look for my results and if she felt they needed further indepth bloods she will then press one of the doctors for T3 and other indepth bloods. I recently had my B12 and Vitamin D bloods and they were fine.

If I dont get further investigation I will then purchase the more advanced private blood tests that I saw linked on the thyroid UK website (think it was £59). Well worth it though. Personally I would like to wait a few days, see what my readings are and if the nurse is true to her word then I will get my T3 bloods.

Im on the case now SueLW. Thank you 😊

Daisydot

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2018, 02:25:58 PM »

Yes I get that sue it's great you have built up such a knowledge,many years ago around 35 years I was having physciatric treatment for pnd and they said my thyroid was bad and I needed an implant of iodine pellet? Sorry I'm so vague but I genuinely don't have much memory of it because of the treatment I was having ECT for one.Ive always questioned my thyroid but any teststing they always say I'm fine and so of course we trust them don't we.
My last test around four weeks ago just said serum tsh level 1.49 normal patient advised.nothing else was tested.Its very difficult to get that balance between what's meno related and what's not isn't it as I do think there's a lot of crossovers.i wish I had the knowledge 35 years ago that I have now and I'd never ever let them take control like they did and give me the most barbaric treatments known to man,I actually moved back to city living from the country to try and escape their clutches and didn't register with a doctor for a long long time I was so young and scared.theyll never do that to me or mines again.xx

SueLW

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2018, 02:33:52 PM »

Thankfully I took the advice on the thyroid uk site and didnt take my thyroxine this morning and no food.

The nurse who took my bloods is the designated thyroid nurse and promised me she would personally look for my results and if she felt they needed further indepth bloods she will then press one of the doctors for T3 and other indepth bloods. I recently had my B12 and Vitamin D bloods and they were fine.

If I dont get further investigation I will then purchase the more advanced private blood tests that I saw linked on the thyroid UK website (think it was £59). Well worth it though. Personally I would like to wait a few days, see what my readings are and if the nurse is true to her word then I will get my T3 bloods.

Im on the case now SueLW. Thank you 😊

Brilliant! 

Excellent outcome.  I'm so glad you had read up about the (no meds and fasting).  You didn't mention any of the links I banged on about so I wasn't sure you had read them.  Lethargy is a common thyroid issue.

Also, excellent that you have the nurse on board.  Still get the copies though.  She will, to some extent, be bound by the same thinking at the GP's, but might be more switched on as she has less range of topics to cover and might have done some research.  It would be lovely if she were on your side and able to push a bit for you.

Do you know what your B12 reading was?  The reference range is staggeringly huge and people at the bottom end of it can be very symptomatic.  My mineral issue is Ferritin.  I struggle to raise it.  It's in range, but for hypo patients it should be around 70-80 and mine is stuck around 39.  I'm eating pate and black pudding for breakfast most days in an effort to get the levels back up.  The rest of my iron panel is good.  But poor ferritin will cause issues with thyroid hormone.

I'm really pleased you have had early bloods done and no meds.  Now you will see a better picture.

SueLW

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2018, 02:37:06 PM »

Yes I get that sue it's great you have built up such a knowledge,many years ago around 35 years I was having physciatric treatment for pnd and they said my thyroid was bad and I needed an implant of iodine pellet? Sorry I'm so vague but I genuinely don't have much memory of it because of the treatment I was having ECT for one.Ive always questioned my thyroid but any teststing they always say I'm fine and so of course we trust them don't we.
My last test around four weeks ago just said serum tsh level 1.49 normal patient advised.nothing else was tested.Its very difficult to get that balance between what's meno related and what's not isn't it as I do think there's a lot of crossovers.i wish I had the knowledge 35 years ago that I have now and I'd never ever let them take control like they did and give me the most barbaric treatments known to man,I actually moved back to city living from the country to try and escape their clutches and didn't register with a doctor for a long long time I was so young and scared.theyll never do that to me or mines again.xx

Iodine pellet!  Never heard of that treatment.  I don't think they do that now.  Too much iodine is as bad as too little. 

A TSH level of 1.49 is pretty normal.  But what time of day was it taken?  Next time you have one get it first thing and fast from the night before, but drink plenty of water before you go or your veins will not be in a giving mood after a nights sleep.  You could do a private test too if you wanted to be sure.  Again, it's the Free T3 that's important.  It want's to be in the top 1/4 of the reference range.

Robin

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2018, 02:37:25 PM »

I have a goitre and 2 close family members had the same. Both deceased now. My goitre is occasionally painful but tests always say normal. I als had it scanned at one point and was told there are lots of small cysts and should be tested yearly but that never happens unless I push for it which I rarely dare do. I've no idea whether I should be doing anything about it or not?

Robin
Xx

Daisydot

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2018, 02:43:49 PM »

My blood test was fasting at 9am nurse was great and got me in quickly.My mother had under active thyroid amongst other things,she was only ever on Valium in those days I remember that,the usual drugs for just about everything then were valium or phemabarbiton.No wonder my parents had such harsh lives I don't know how they did it.xx thanks sue xx

SueLW

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2018, 03:40:18 PM »

I have a goitre and 2 close family members had the same. Both deceased now. My goitre is occasionally painful but tests always say normal. I als had it scanned at one point and was told there are lots of small cysts and should be tested yearly but that never happens unless I push for it which I rarely dare do. I've no idea whether I should be doing anything about it or not?

Robin, goitres are out of my area of knowledge.  But I doubt it should be ignored.  If I were you, I would go over the HealthUnlocked and join the Thyroid forum and ask for help understanding what you should do about a long-term goitre.

You will find help there.  You almost certainly need to be supplementing something, but I'm not sure what.

Robin

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2018, 03:56:08 PM »

Thanks Sue I'll do that and I might also consider a full thyroid test once Im settled on my HRT regime and my bank balance has recovered

Robin

renee

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2018, 05:53:32 PM »

Iv just joined the thyroid uk forum too.  😊
Pages: 1 2 [3]