Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Extreme fatigue  (Read 6656 times)

Denise R

Extreme fatigue
« on: May 28, 2018, 07:12:43 AM »

I suffer from extreme fatigue.  Some days I am fine but others it just hits me out of the blue.  I am unable to take HRT so I wonder if anyone out there could recommend a natural alternative?  Thank you. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Extreme fatigue
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 09:38:32 AM »

Crashing fatigue.  I remember my Mum suddenly sitting down and dropping off to sleep, I wasn't told why so thought that she was really ill  :-\. I have had it sometimes when I was menstruating.

Lots of ladies are unable to take HRT but it is worth while reading the treatment section above.  Some GPs are reluctant to prescribe so suggest that ladies shouldn't take HRT but without explaining why!

Quality of Life is important.  Keep hydrated.  Rest when your body insists.

prestige

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 11:18:47 AM »

Hi DeniseR

I too suffer from fatigue. I can be fine and then out of the blue the fatigue hits me.

Apart from trying to follow a healthy diet. I have not found a solution. I too am not on hrt.

So I will be watching this thread with interest ;D

Best

P

Denise R

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 12:12:49 PM »

Thank you both for replying. It's  great to get other ladies thoughts.  My Gp won't prescribe HRT because of a family history of breast cancer.  Although I would prefer to get through the menopause without it. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 12:19:07 PM »

I assume you have been tested for thyroid function and all other possible deficiencies?  eg iron, B12, Vitamin D etc?
If you have chronic fatigue then your GP should refer to for some of the therapies that can help.
A good Diet and exercise regime with  relaxation techniques and some targeted supplements may help so ask your GP where you could get advice about all this. DG x

prestige

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 01:48:32 PM »

Hi DG
Thanks for replying. Yes, I have been tested and everything has come back normal.

I can't speak for Denise R, but my fatigue is very variable, so I would guess it is a hormone inbalace that is the culprit.

My GP is useless, and just tries to push me down thr AD route.

I do suffer from other menopause ailments like brain fog, adrenaline rushes during the night. I can't cope with stress as I used to. I can be very tearful for no reson at all :'( :' and so many other things....

dangermouse

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 01:52:34 PM »

The fatigue is very common, possibly similar to early pregnancy fatigue.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 02:48:16 PM »

Change your GP?

This info is out of date.  Menopause is natural.  But some symptoms are so severe that they can cause great upset.  Hormonal Replacement Therapy does what it says on the tin  ;).  Why suffer if there is treatment available, after all, it doesn't have to be for ever and believe me, if vaginal atrophy strikes, you will probably soon change your mind!

Denise R

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 03:02:25 PM »

I have had a full blood check done and everything else is ok.  I have suffered badly with concentration and memory problems to the point I thought I had dementia, however my gp assured me that things would get better eventually and I'm happy to say that they have. The fatigue though has worsened recently and is really getting me down. 

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 03:03:47 PM »

Do you have a regular job etc.? R U able to take time out for a few months so that you can sit when necessary?

Denise R

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 03:09:58 PM »

CLKD

I work in admin part time and look after my 2 grandchildren 1-2 days a week but at times I feel 90 instead of 60.  My mum who is 86 has more energy than me (when I don't have the fatigue).   My gp is very good and I don't want to change.  I am on Vagifem pessaries for atrophy but not full HRT and they help with other problems. 

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 03:15:14 PM »

They will help with localised dryness and itching in the outer labia but are unlikely to ease any other symptoms.  I find ovestin really really stops that 'razor blade up there'  :D feeling  ::)

Do you feel that your GP is supportive?  Mine has been good over the years. 

If you are running after Grandchildren no wonder you suddenly flop!  How is your diet on the days that you care for them? 

Denise R

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 03:31:15 PM »

I really can't blame it on minding the children because it comes on me so randomly.  There really is no pattern to it at all.  My gp is supportive and she is very understanding.  My diet some days isn't  very good so I know I need to take a good look at that. 

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 03:32:31 PM »

I remember that sudden need to sleep so well.  It was at some point of my cycle but can't remember where .........

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 09:30:39 AM »

Sorry to hear about your fatigue Denise R and that you can't take HRT due to breast cancer in the family (CLKD "HRT does what it says on the tin.Why suffer if there is treatment available"  she said this earlier about the BC - hence her posts).

I presume your familial breast cancer is in close relatives who had the disease quite young? There are also different types of breast cancer so if it wasn't oestrogen receptive I think HRT may be possible? You might also be able to have genetic testing if very close relatives have had it - there are guidelines on this so that you can discuss your relative risk of getting the disease as well.

If blood tests do not show anything amiss re fatigue then it could well be hormonal, but unfortunately the prescription treatments for menopausal symptoms are mainly for treating flushes and sweats rather than fatigue - ie some types of anti-depressants.

The only things I can suggest apart from HRT is eating a healthy diet to make sure you are not deficient in anything, cutting down on caffeine and alcohol and getting out in the fresh air and lots of sunshine and getting as much exercise as you feel able to do - I know this is probably difficult if you are feeling fatigued. Sometimes blood tests show within normal range but actually the patient is experiencing symptoms - so iron, vitamin B ?12, thyroid function etc - may look fine but perhaps you need a boost? Lots of fruit and veg and fresh food - not processed! Maybe a gentle iron tonic like Floradix liquid every few days to boost your iron?

Hope this helps and you eventually become less fatigued.

Hurdity x
Pages: [1] 2