Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Natural sleep aids  (Read 12410 times)

Mrs Bella

Re: Natural sleep aids
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 08:03:47 AM »

For those who are interested, as a South African living in SA, rooibos tea (we don't call it red bush, even if we're English), is great for the digestive system. It is traditionally drunk without milk but here it's a staple so often drunk milky too. It's often and I think best combined with lemon, honey and ginger. So a great tea when you have a cold too  :)
Thank you hereandthere!
I wish I had a brew of that combo now: for sleep and a cold.
I went into town today and couldn't find it. I will have to google it to see if I can buy it online.

tika

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 10:27:21 AM »

Nearly every supermarket stocks Redbush (Rooibos) tea. There is also Redbush teas. combined with vanilla, Earl Grey and Green tea.

You can add anything to Redbush tea yourself as hearandthere suggests.

Also as it is so good for the skin you can find skincare with Rooibos added too.

The health benefits are amazing.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/beverage/health-benefits-of-red-rooibos-tea.html

Mrs Bella

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 11:02:57 AM »

Nearly every supermarket stocks Redbush (Rooibos) tea. There is also Redbush teas. combined with vanilla, Earl Grey and Green tea.

You can add anything to Redbush tea yourself as hearandthere suggests.

Also as it is so good for the skin you can find skincare with Rooibos added too.

The health benefits are amazing.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/beverage/health-benefits-of-red-rooibos-tea.html
Unfortunately I live in the sticks tika. The closest city being Melbourne is a 4 hour drive away. My local supermarket is pretty limited, and the health food store is a 3 hour round trip by car.
It does sound great...so many things it can aid in. I like the idea of a skincare range with Rooibos in it.
Thank you for mentioning that tika!

Emerald2017

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2018, 11:07:52 AM »

I find taking a natural herbal tea as levander, chamomile and valeriana an hour before going to bed very helpful. Try to avoid stress, watching TV or internet and not to think so much about sleep! :)

Mrs Bella

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 11:08:54 AM »

Just to add to these posts, Mrs. Bella - I use a magnesium spray if I wake up in the middle of the night.  It definitely helps me get back to sleep and wake refreshed.
Hello dulciana!
It's interesting you say that as a friend suggested the spray to me yesterday. She said to spray it on your feet. I have never of such a thing. Is this true?

tika

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 11:11:46 AM »

Best to get it online Mrs Bella amazon  have it, do they deliver? (sorry I did not realise you were not in UK) x

Mrs Bella

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2018, 11:17:26 AM »

I find taking a natural herbal tea as levander, chamomile and valeriana an hour before going to bed very helpful. Try to avoid stress, watching TV or internet and not to think so much about sleep! :)
Emerald2017 I once drank a herbal blend called “Sleepytime Tea”. It didn't really do anything for me.
I have heard of Valerian supplements. I have no idea if they are effective.
Oh golly I really have it all wrong...all I can think about is sleep. I even daydream about sleep.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:19:19 AM by Mrs Bella »

Mrs Bella

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2018, 11:24:21 AM »

Best to get it online Mrs Bella amazon  have it, do they deliver? (sorry I did not realise you were not in UK) x
I think Amazon do deliver to OZ. When I am not so tired I will have a good olde google for it online. I am also going to Melbourne in a few weeks and am bound to find it there. Thanks tika! X

Wilks

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2018, 11:42:41 AM »

I've had terrible insomnia in the past and tried everything. I practice good sleep hygiene which is stuff like avoiding caffeine from early afternoon onwards, no TV in the bedroom, go to bed and get up at the same time every day, wear earplugs and keep the room dark and cool.
The thing is, people who sleep well just sleep, they don't try. It's all us insomniacs who are trying lavender spray and milky drinks. To be honest it's the fluoxetine that's put my sleep back in order, plus the hrt has stopped me overheating and waking up at night.

Mrs Bella

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2018, 12:31:28 PM »

I've had terrible insomnia in the past and tried everything. I practice good sleep hygiene which is stuff like avoiding caffeine from early afternoon onwards, no TV in the bedroom, go to bed and get up at the same time every day, wear earplugs and keep the room dark and cool.
The thing is, people who sleep well just sleep, they don't try. It's all us insomniacs who are trying lavender spray and milky drinks. To be honest it's the fluoxetine that's put my sleep back in order, plus the hrt has stopped me overheating and waking up at night.
Oh I think we maybe twins that were separated at birth...that's me to a tee. Maybe I should be on Fluoxetine too?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2018, 03:23:18 PM »

Oh yuk to all those  ;D

Daisydot

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2018, 03:53:21 PM »

Where's your sense of adventure  ::) x ;D

Mrs Bella

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2018, 09:54:09 PM »

Oh yuk to all those  ;D
I had yet another crappy nights sleep. At this stage I will try anything if it worked CLKD.
I am wondering CLKD, should the HRT I am taking be more effective in dampening what I consider a symptom of menopause? I use to over sleep prior to staring menopause.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 09:55:52 PM by Mrs Bella »

Mrs Bella

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2018, 09:58:47 PM »

Ladies I think I am losing the plot again. My lack of sleep is killing me. I am struggling to function during the day. I am not depressed nor anxious so have no idea what is wrong with me. Blimey I am crying from lack of sleep just typing this 😥
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 10:00:37 PM by Mrs Bella »

Conolly

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 11:01:45 PM »

Hello again Mrs. Bella,

Sorry to hear that. All I can add to the suggestions above is to pay attention to your body, it often tells us what is going wrong. I don't have much spare time to come over here frequently and I get lost amongst so many posts and threads so forgive me for not knowing anything about you. Where are you menopause wise?

My own experience with lack of sleep is so weird. Since perimenopause began around my early 40's I would awake around 4 am every day and be unable to go back to sleep. Once I went to see a fortune teller (a friend made me do it) and she told me I had been beheaded at that time in a previous life 😱 😂 Obviously this was just the beginning of the hormonal roller coaster. When perimenopause hit big time I was sleeping less than one hour a day and my physical and mental health began to deteriorate rapidly. I thought I was suffering from anxiety (I had many other issues at the time). I didn't take any drugs. I tried mindfulness, which helped, and decided to do something while awake instead of trying to get to sleep. I had many problems at work because of this, had to change my career aspirations for something more flexible.

Suddenly I was falling asleep for no reason and all I wanted/needed was to stay in bed deeply asleep. It looked like depression but again I didn't take any drugs and had to give up work altogether.

Now things are coming into balance and I am much more functional. I still have a very disturbed sleep pattern because of hot flushes but the 4 am terror is gone, so no beheading after all 😂😅

Anyway, I think hormonal changes play a big role in sleep patterns. Perimenopause is definitely a hellish time. If you are still having hormonal fluctuations this will be one factor. If you're not then it could be your adrenal glands trying to adjust to the new hormonal balance.

My final word on this (I bet you're feeling sleepy already 🤣): you can have my cat staying with you for some time, he wants to play all the time so at the end of the day you will be knackered! 😼

Hope you're having a good night sleep right now 💤

Conolly X
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6