Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Losing your looks  (Read 25632 times)

Conolly

Re: Losing your looks
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2018, 03:29:05 PM »

Hello ladies,

I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Menopause is a new thing Evolution wise. Women used to be pregnant or breastfeeding during their reproductive years and die before reaching menopause, and that also means no monthly periods. So it's not just menopause that's a new thing, the whole hormonal fluctuation is a new thing, sociobiologically speaking.

I wasn't happy with my periods, cramps, swollen boobs and mood swings. Ok, oestrogen gives you shiny hair, elastic skin and libido but somehow that was not enough to make me feel good. I wished for menopause! Of course now I know that menopause is not just the end of periods. Perimenopause is scary for many women and I'm one of them.

If you feel good taking oestrogen, then go for it! I can't take it because I have blood problems and migraines. So I'm going to rely on Evolution and alternative treatments to help me through this phase. And I trust that this is just it, a phase that will pass. I have gone through hell during peri and now I can see a light shining somewhere. I guess the roller coaster is almost gone. That doesn't mean I will get ‘my life back' as in my 30's. That's never going to happen and that's fine. I like myself better now. Even if my looks are not as good as before. I'm sure I can look better if I try harder, more physical activity, a healthier diet, beauty products and mental hygiene. Oestrogen is a helpful fix for many symptoms but there's more than symptoms if you look at the big picture of growing old.

Conolly X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2018, 03:37:06 PM »

Not many people get offended and each family is different as you will see on here.

I think that women in certain social situations would have baby after baby because there was no choice. Some would die in child-birth.  Others during abortions.  Many B4 they reached their mid-40s.  Others would have the vapours which was probably hormonally caused.  They would take to their beds ..........

Others, like my Grans., both working class, would be OK.   

I thought that the end of periods would be 'it', perhaps a few hot flushes but anything else was completely new!

Mrs Bella

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2018, 03:38:10 PM »

I'm 61 now Mrs Bella had a surgical menopause at 42 had hrt for about 5 years then taken off aged 50 ish can't remember lol.the next few years were hell I've only been back on it around 6 months and already I have my glow back,I've had to battle tooth and nail for this though,I look better now than I did in my 40s I don't care if it's vain I work hard at it and I'm contented with my looks at my age.🎼as the song says “ I'm sexy and I know it “  :rofl:
Oh Daisydot you're an inspiration!
I am glad you have got your mojo back. I love your attitude!
I have a friend in her late 50s. She is so much fun to be around that it's infectious. She has this saying that always makes me smile. I shall put it in context: She went to a party recently. She said she had a few wines, caught up with friends and even had a boogie on the dance floor... then she said, “Bella, I was lovin' myself sick”.
I hope my friend and yourself never lose that spunk about you. That's what keeps us all young regardless of our looks and/or age.
So Daisydot may you always “love yourself sick”. X
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:41:59 PM by Mrs Bella »

Conolly

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2018, 03:43:17 PM »

That's a great approach, Daisydot and Mrs. Bella. Smile is the new sexy  8)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 04:31:53 PM by Conolly »

Daisydot

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2018, 03:52:11 PM »

Lol thanks so much Mrs B I'm a very happy grounded “vain” person I'd rather go out with no knickers than dark roots in my hair although these days I'm battling to disguise the “white” hair as we call it.I don't care that I'm rounded now I've tried and can't change that as CLKD says it's in my genes anyway and my mum was a wee babe to me.age is just a number and I reverse mines these days lol xx

Hezzalady67!

« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2018, 03:58:15 PM »

Luck doesn't come into it.  Genes however may well do.

Hezzalady - what Plans have you and your partner to exercise more and choose healthy food options occasionally?  I am going to exercise more every day, apart from gardening I don't ........ we had a dog and I walked miles until 2012, now I simply can't be bothered unless we are on holiday.  I kid myself that gardening helps a bit  :-\

That's the stupid thing...we go walking. I can walk fifteen miles comfortably. More, if I pushed myself. I can walk up the hills and mountains. But I am still two stone heavier and feel fat and ugly.

Yes, I do eat the wrong things at times  and am a dreadful emotional eater. But generally have a balanced diet.
I should be grateful to have fitness.

Conolly

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2018, 04:28:23 PM »

Not many people get offended and each family is different as you will see on here.

I think that women in certain social situations would have baby after baby because there was no choice. Some would die in child-birth.  Others during abortions.  Many B4 they reached their mid-40s.  Others would have the vapours which was probably hormonally caused.  They would take to their beds ..........

Others, like my Grans., both working class, would be OK.   

Sorry, I was talking about Evolution as back in pre-historical times, not about our Grannies 😂

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2018, 08:39:47 PM »

We don't have any records of that far back though Conolly  :-\.  People probably got ate up by something  ::)

Conolly

« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2018, 09:16:52 PM »

Some have certainly survived or we wouldn't be here, right? 😏

Mrs Bella

« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2018, 09:37:43 PM »

How are or have you ladies coped with losing your looks and maybe no longer turning heads in the way you used to too? I wouldn't say I feel invisible yet but going out definitely takes longer and more effort. Also my assets look good with a push up bra so that helps draw attention  ;) lol but this getting old thing really isnt easy but  suppose I should stop being an old grump trying to look 10 years younger and pass the baton on to the next generation of young pretty things.
Hellooooo we seem to have lost you in all of this chit chat.
Hinari hot flush are you still reading the responses to your post? Are they resonating with you? Are they of help to you?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:32:30 AM by Mrs Bella »

Mrs Bella

« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2018, 09:41:16 PM »

Conolly I am going to add that to my list of sayings. I like it!
I am going to love myself sick and smile constantly now ... I am going to radiate sexiness 💃🏼

Conolly

« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2018, 10:02:09 PM »

Conolly I am going to add that to my list of sayings. I like it!
I am going to love myself sick and smile constantly now ... I am going to radiate sexiness 💃🏼

👏🏻👏🏻 😎 😁🤩

Mrs Bella

« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2018, 10:45:14 PM »

Hi again Bella! The fact that they have their meno at 50s doesn't mean that they look younger or we will age faster. I guess that it is our biggest mistake and makes us feel cheated! It isn't true!
Yes, you're right. I feel cheated in the fact that I am having/had all these symptoms when I should be living it up at 42 ... not lining up for HRT tablets instead. My eldest son is doing his exams at the moment and I am a bit of a mess because of lack of sleep. I wish I was more present for him. Surely Mrs Menopause could have waited a few more years until my kids leave home. Does that make sense to you Emerald2017? I hope so as I am not feeling very eloquent in my current sleep deprived state.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 10:47:46 PM by Mrs Bella »

Tiddles

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2018, 06:34:50 AM »

When you accidentally have your phone camera on selfie mode and catch yourself unawares. Yikes !!!!

I don't like the changes either but the becoming invisible part is a positive to me! We moved to the countryside a year ago and everyone wants to know your business and wants to pass it on to other people - even trivial things like a slight change of hair colour - and I hate it.  So the less people notice me, the happier I am - it's a silver lining as far as I'm concerned :-)

ElkWarning

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2018, 06:21:20 PM »

Just wanted to pop back and say thank you ladies.  Something in the first post resonated so strongly and I had a bit of a meltdown, but reading what you all say is really comforting, mostly because it tackles that 'what's wrong with me' feeling.

Best wishes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10