Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Calcification in left breast  (Read 6841 times)

KAH

Re: Calcification in left breast
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 03:34:16 PM »

A quick update:
Been back for the results of my breast biopsy and it shows some abnormalities. I now need to have the whole area of concern removed, again by vacuum assisted mammogram removal which will be tested to see what's what. To say I'm terrified would be a huge understatement, especially as I had a mammogram 18 months ago on the same breast as it had suddenly got bigger and the appearance of my nipple had changed. At that time they said all was fine and it was probably hormones but I can't help but think it must be connected, which in essence means this could have been going on for quite a long time!! My appointment isn't until next Tuesday then it's another 2 week wait for the results. All this waiting is freaking me out.

Conolly

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 05:29:00 PM »

Hello KAH,

I'm sorry you're still suffering with health anxiety and now the breast calcification. I don't have any expertise in that area, but I've read that macrocalcifications are common and not dangerous. Microcalcifications may be a sign of precancerous cells only if they appear clustered together. Do you have any idea of which type is yours? Anyway, by having the whole area removed they will get rid of these cells and remember that they may be just a sign of precancerous, not cancerous cells. Sending a big hug, hang in there and come to chat to send that anxiety away.

Conolly X

KAH

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 07:55:34 PM »

Hello KAH,

I'm sorry you're still suffering with health anxiety and now the breast calcification. I don't have any expertise in that area, but I've read that macrocalcifications are common and not dangerous. Microcalcifications may be a sign of precancerous cells only if they appear clustered together. Do you have any idea of which type is yours? Anyway, by having the whole area removed they will get rid of these cells and remember that they may be just a sign of precancerous, not cancerous cells. Sending a big hug, hang in there and come to chat to send that anxiety away.

Conolly X
Thank you for your message. The original mammogram showed several small areas of calcification which they thought would be benign but as they're not and they're showing as abnormal cell changes, they're removing it all. If that then shows anything when tested I'll need surgery but hopefully they'll get all the abnormal cells with no need for further treatment. I'm still in shock, I thought I'd get the result today and it would all be over with ☹️

Conolly

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 09:05:20 PM »

Are you still in perimenopause?
At least you had it checked, better deal with it sooner than later.
How is your health otherwise? I remember you were having many issues
Conolly X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 09:58:11 PM »

I would suggest and this is something to ask your team, that if the nipple was inverted or altered in shape could it have been a sign of things to come and 2ndly, if so, this would appear to be slow growing - what ever it might be - I have never heard of investigation under mammogram  :-\. Have you been offered an ultra-sound scan too?

I had a lump which was benign until it got to histology  ::) - lymph nodes were clean, protective radiation treatment followed: still here .  I think that is something else to ask the team, to take lymph nodes from under the arm pit.

KAH

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 05:53:49 AM »

I would suggest and this is something to ask your team, that if the nipple was inverted or altered in shape could it have been a sign of things to come and 2ndly, if so, this would appear to be slow growing - what ever it might be - I have never heard of investigation under mammogram  :-\. Have you been offered an ultra-sound scan too?

I had a lump which was benign until it got to histology  ::) - lymph nodes were clean, protective radiation treatment followed: still here .  I think that is something else to ask the team, to take lymph nodes from under the arm pit.
Thank you for your message. They're not investigating under mammogram, they're removing the area of concern then they routinely check that to see if it shows anything other than what they've already found (changes to cells). The nipple has never been inverted, I noticed 18 mths ago that my breast had got bigger then at the same time the nipple had become flatter, at that time they did an ultra sound and mammogram but they said it showed no changes to the one I'd had a year previous. It's only the mammogram I had about a month ago that showed the calcification.
I've spent the last 18 mths convinced something is wrong and they'd missed it, been back & forward to docs who said it was fine each time (no obvious lumps) but now it's obviously showing that there is something wrong. My husband said it might not be connected but I'm pretty sure it must be, too much of a coincidence otherwise? Ive had a night of panic attacks, no sleep and now need to get through the day and act normal for my children's sake, not sure how I'll manage to be honest x

KAH

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 07:10:08 AM »

Are you still in perimenopause?
At least you had it checked, better deal with it sooner than later.
How is your health otherwise? I remember you were having many issues
Conolly X

Yes I'm still peri. My health is ok, it's my anxiety that's the worst thing to deal with, but pretty much all the illnesses I've 'believed' I've had have just been as a result of the anxiety, until now obviously! I have ME too which makes it difficult to know if it's the peri or ME when I feel crappy!

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 09:54:33 AM »

a mammotome biopsy
MIBB- minimally invasive breast biopsy
Your doctor uses a mammogram or ultrasound to make sure the biopsy probe is in the right place.

That's a new one 2 me although I am aware that other procedures may be done under X-ray cover.  Better than prodding about!

Let us know how you get on!

KAH

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2018, 10:08:38 AM »

a mammotome biopsy
MIBB- minimally invasive breast biopsy
Your doctor uses a mammogram or ultrasound to make sure the biopsy probe is in the right place.

That's a new one 2 me although I am aware that other procedures may be done under X-ray cover.  Better than prodding about!

Let us know how you get on!
I think they use the mammogram machine when it's a very small area so the imaging can help them find the area easier. Having said that I was in the machine for an hour because they couldn't get a good enough image of the area in question! Having the area removed by the same procedure is just a way of preventing surgery I think! I spoke to the nurse this morning & asked her to run through everything again, I feel a big better now so hopefully I can calm down a bit!

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2018, 10:14:12 AM »

That is such a good idea!  make notes too.  Take a list of queries etc., etc., etc..

:bighug:

Conolly

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2018, 12:10:47 PM »

Hi again!
If you're still in perimenopause then huge hormonal fluctuations are expected and they may account for rapid changes in the breast tissues.
Fingers crossed 🤞🏻. You will get through this and hopefully it will help you deal with the health anxiety. Always look at the bright side of life 💕🤗
Conolly X

KAH

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2018, 02:31:17 PM »

Hi again!
If you're still in perimenopause then huge hormonal fluctuations are expected and they may account for rapid changes in the breast tissues.
Fingers crossed 🤞🏻. You will get through this and hopefully it will help you deal with the health anxiety. Always look at the bright side of life 💕🤗
Conolly X

Thank you my lovely, trying to stay positive!!
They did say last time that the changes were probably due to hormones as they couldn't find any other cause, it just worried me as it was only one breast that had changed! I've barely been able to look at my boobs in the last 18 mths as every time I do it sets off my anxiety. Hubby says he'll keep an eye on them for me 😉😉

Conolly

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2018, 02:51:07 PM »

Oh, what a lovely husband!  :-*
Re only one breast, it's really rare to find a woman with two identical breasts, so it's possible that your breasts have different number and/or types of hormone receptors and may respond differently to them.
Yes, keep walking and smiling, dear! The other options are not going to help, are they?
 :foryou:
Conolly X

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2018, 09:52:33 PM »

It's the not knowing 4 me, once given the diagnosis I got on with treatment .........

KAH

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2018, 05:15:04 AM »

It's the not knowing 4 me, once given the diagnosis I got on with treatment .........

Exactly, it's the feeling of helplessness that's the worst thing. Wondering constantly is it or isn't it, it could send you mad! In fact I think I'm heading in that direction already ☹️
Pages: 1 [2] 3