Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Weight issues  (Read 11397 times)

mrs_bella

Re: Weight issues
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 09:48:13 AM »

Blimey Wilks you really have had a rotten time. It must have been terrifying at the time. I am pleased to hear you have come out the other side, and that you are feeling better.
I am still in shock that I am going though menopause. I have friends the same age as I who are still popping out babies. The friends I do have that are going through the same thing as me are in their 50s. I kind of feel cheated. I am too young to be lining up for HRT meds.
I first tried the patches and they gave me blisters/irritation. I then tried a tablet that you insert down there (sorry I have no idea what they are actually called). Well they were a flop as well. Then I was placed on Tibolone. I blew up like a ballon, and by the end of the day I was in tears due to abdominal pain. Following this, my doctor put me on an oral estrogen tablet. Well my boobs felt like they were on fire. So yet again I was back to square one. The lastest HRT I am trailing is new to the market. It's called Duavive. So far so good. Not as effective as Tibolone, but my boobs are fine. They have gotten bigger which like you I don't like. My it's like a shopping list when I look back at all I have trialled. Boy I hope everything settles down. I don't like not having control over my body like this. I am in the lap of the gods as they say.

mrs_bella

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 09:57:19 AM »

Everything you have suggested Dancinggirl has been spot on. That's how I normally eat. Looking back though, I think I have hit the chocolate bars a bit too much in desperation for a pick-me-up. It really goes to show that you have to be mindful of everything you eat/drink. Thank you for responding again as it's reminded me of what has worked for me in the past.

mrs_bella

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 10:19:11 AM »

Thank you for responding to my post CLKD!
I am rather envious of you that you haven't gained weight being on HRT. In saying that, I too think being on it is saving my life. The alternative is sleepless nights and panic attacks among other things.
I was at breaking point when I was prescribed my first lot of HRT. I don't want to go back there. So for me, I hope the current HRT I am on cuts the grade and that I can manage my weight in the process.

mrs_bella

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 10:29:42 AM »

Thank you Annie0710 for also responding to my post!
I am pleased you have found a program that works for you in maintaining your weight ie. slimming world. You are an inspiration! Keep going as it's clearly working for you.
I live in Australia so I am not familiar with slimming world. We have Weight Watchers here. Unfortunately I live in a remote area ie. 4 hours drive from a city.
I think if I go back to my grass routes of eating clean, small meals frequently throughout the day I can manage my weight. I just need to have the willpower to stay away from chocolate in mass quantities.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 11:53:20 AM »

It is said that sometimes we mis-inteprut hunger when the body is thirsty.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 11:55:21 AM »

:-\. - not HRT but anti-depressant medication  :-\

Chocolate is good for us  ;).  I was advised by NAPS in the 1990s to eat every 3 hours to stop that awful lurch when the body became suddenly hungry.  I stick to that regime as much as possible.  Try to eat B4 the body is hungry.  It does vary what I put into my mouth every day though, we try to eat lots of veg., Himself cooks from scratch most nights.  He also goes fishing weekly though I'm not keen   ::).  I had fads, then 'go off' things, i.e. bananas.  If I get a mushy one that's it, off them for weeks.

I always have a breakfast however ill I feel.  Muesli helps a lot rather than toast with butter/jam.  It's mid-afternoon that my weak point is.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:57:57 AM by CLKD »

Wilks

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 01:05:22 PM »

Mrs Bella- yet another thought: the Evorel Sequi patches that I started on irritated my skin but the Estradot ones that I'm on don't. Maybe worth trying a different patch though I know it's a pain switching meds every 5 minutes.

Hurdity

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 01:48:15 PM »

As Dancinggirl says re diet. I have been on HRT for 11 years - now 65 and manage to keep my weight gain at bay - and I'm probably 7-10 pounds lighter than I was at one point. It's not about calories as such - I've never counted them - but as said - what you eat. Chocs - limit them to one chocolate ( not a bar) per day. Do you have a partner - get them to hide them for you so not tempted. Otherwise completely banish sugar, high fats, processed foods, foods high in etra carbs etc and swap to high protein, low fat (but not fanatically), fruit veg nuts fish etc.A higher protein lower carb/fat diet also stabilises blood sugar levels much better so you don't have to keep rushing to eat snacks I think Weightwatchers has a newish programme where you don't count calories but eat freely a balanced diet from a pretty wide list.  Slimming World has a similar. You can find these lists on the web. Also massively up your exercise especially body conditioning/muscle strengthening as muscle burns more calories than fat weight for weight.

I don't know about aprons? What's that to do with weight - I always wear one for cooking and washing up but I do try not to drop it ::)

tika

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 02:18:32 PM »

I came off estrodiol patches over a year ago after being on them for many years, and what I noticed slowly was an overall reduction of weight, my arms, legs ( ankles especially, no more fluid retention, my skinny ankles back at last) my tummy and hips too, no more stocky look that hormones can give.

Also my appetite reduced, I have never been a snacker so its easy to keep to a healthy diet.

My hormones I think have balanced at a lower level and I feel OK as far as basic menopausal symptoms are concerned, just the occasional niggles that we all get getting older.

HRT does cause weight gain ( in my case anyway) also making losing it much harder. This was confirmed to me by a lady Gynecologist Surgeon, especially in the tummy and breast areas.

Life is just not fair for us women.

Wilks

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 03:15:37 PM »

Hurdity and Dancing Girl- I hear what you say about diet but I (and Mrs Bella, from what she says above) already eat healthily. Some of my friends are dropping chocolate and alcohol but I don't have either of those much. I'm not a chips, burgers and pies type of girl.
When I eat smaller portions I get low blood sugar, feel weak and can't sleep. It's not possible to do a full-time job and stay properly fit by eating like a sparrow. My youngest child is still a young teenager, which is another “demand” on my energy. Things simply don't add up any more. Try riding 100 miles on a bike on a banana and a handful of almonds- it does not compute!

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 07:22:52 PM »

So maybe eat little and often Wilks, lots of veg. raw or cooked, dried fruits, nuts; we eat a lot of chicken stir fries - chopped peppers to give colour, ginger, garlic, chopped chicken breasts, made in bulk then frozen.  Same with mince mix, poured over pasta as a quick meal; curries.  Which can be eaten cold ;-).  Cheese and biscuits for lunch with tomatoes, celery, pickles, good bread.  Himself eats leaves but I can't be bothered.  I'm into goat cheese currently  ::)

Very rarely crisps. Or those types of snacks. 

I feel fat today.  Will see if the lack of smarties makes any difference ;-) - I was eating them as pudding  :-X

The body needs a little of everything including sugar.  Which converts to energy.  Dropping alcohol can ease weight gain too ;-)

nissa11

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2018, 07:52:45 AM »

I was put on anti-depressants at 50 and my weight increased to a rediculous level. I came off them but have been suffering from depression mild to severe ever since. I didn't have a helpful doctor and it was a while before I got HRT which I have found helpful. As far as know anti-depressants not only make you hungry but also slow your metabolism even more than the menopause. I have never completely shifted the weight and am in the same position at 59, trying to eat less whilst struggling more and more to exercise because of increasing pain in my hips due to arthritis. About to have some physio for that but it really feels like I am doomed to be in pain, depressed, anxious and fat for the rest of my life. I see plenty of women in their 60's who seem fine and I have a very "helpful" friend who I met up with recently who says she has had "absolutely no symptoms at all at the menopause", which I find frustrating...smug person!
My depression has caused me to give up teaching and subsequently lose my home. None of my children are speaking to me even thought there is no clear reason why and I constantly think about suicide and that I would be better off dead. I'm even attending a research therapy at the University at the moment to try to find another way past my depression but to be honest I don't think it will work. Yesterday I heard about treating depression with NSAID's as some people with depression have chronic inflammation but know that an ordinary GP will just give me a blank look if I mention it...........

mrs_bella

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 09:17:46 AM »

Hello to all who have joined in on this conversation. I am a little shattered as it's been a rather horrible few days for me so I hope to address everything that has been discussed and suggested.
From what I gather we have all had different experiences regarding HRT and/or antidepressants. Also weight issues seem to go hand in hand with the meds we are taking due to our struggles with menopause.
You have all given me some great advice on weight management, and different types of HRT I could turn to as I have had a hit and miss track record so far.
I am going to continue eating clean, limit my chocolate intake and keep moving (I don't drink alcohol so chocolate is my only indulgence). Fingers crossed this is enough to keep my hunger at bay, and the numbers low on my bathroom scales.
I will also give the current HRT I am on a little longer to hopefully do it's thing. Again fingers crossed they work and I get my life back ie. sleep better and can kick my anxiety to the curb.
I wish for you all that whatever your struggles are, that you can overcome them. I am championing you all!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:47:11 AM by mrs_bella »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2018, 09:21:33 AM »

I do think it is very difficult to actually KNOW what is a good diet. We are all different and many women develop digestive problems when the menopause hits. A diet regime that works for one person may not be good for another.
We are told to reduce carbs but they should be part of a good diet - we have been eating bread for thousands of years but like most things it's about the amount we eat that is significant. Bread and potatoes also give vital nutrients that are often difficult to obtain from other sources. Vitamin D is difficult to get unless you get 20 mins of sunshine each and every day so supplementation in winter is advisable.  Food should also be enjoyable and somehow we are now feeling guilty for enjoying food. I personally find eating too many greens gives me terrible flatulence and then my diverticulitis starts giving me pain. I have a very fast digestive system so it's not unusual for me to open my bowels 2-3 times a day - so I think my food goes through me very quickly and therefore absorbtiin may be inpaired. I take supplements for the reason.
Olive and rapeseed oils are very good for us so should be part of a healthy diet - so cutting out all fat is not good.
This is why I say “ have a good look at your diet” as it does no harm to make small adjustments to see if this might help with weight and health issues - just don't go bonkers and start cutting things out without careful thought and analysis - though cutting down on sugar is a ‘no brainer' DG x

mrs_bella

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 09:32:22 AM »

Hello nissa11. After reading your post, I am worried about you. You have a lot of things going on that are impacting your mental health. Have you tried Electrical Convulsive Therapy (ECT) or Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) therapy for your depression? I haven't had ECT. But, I have had a series of TMS. It did help with my depression. But, I live too far away to have maintenance sessions.
Please don't give up!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6