Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Will my hair grow back?  (Read 15196 times)

Jennie

Will my hair grow back?
« on: January 05, 2015, 08:30:31 AM »

Good morning
Similar to many ladies on this site. I too am experiencing hair loss.
It's getting to a point now that I'm very worried.my hair has always been fine but I had plenty of it so it was not a problem.

Menopause two years ago ,commenced Hrt for dreadful sweats/flushes and noticed loose hair around the house from me quite a lot that I mentioned it to Gp,she was not really interested .I stopped Hrt as having side effects...hair shredding stopped.
Tried tibolone months later for sweats...hair shredding again after 3months,stopped that.commrnced ortho Gynest in April for VA no problem but messy so changed to Vagifem ,hair shredding again .known side effect .stopped that.Going to see Nurse practitioner this week and discuss trying Ovestin as different type of oestrogen also Gynest not available.
Question.....has anyone hair grow back when stopping hrt/pessarries.i have had all the blood tests and have been taking recommended vitamins plus Biotin to no avail.
Sorry post so long feeling very worried.Thanks

ellie

Re: Will my hair grow back?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 09:06:55 AM »

This is just my experience, I have always had fine but thick hair, but when I hit the menapause I went on to HRT......it did thin a lot but wasn't too bad until I had to stop the HRT.......since then it has thinned more and more.....
Like you I find it very upsetting....I now just use products on my hair to make it appear thicker, and they do help a lot....Sorry I am not able to help, but you are not alone...

Jennie

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 09:32:37 AM »

Thanks Ellie for your prompt message.I have tried various shampoo which are supposed to make hair look thicker but just make mine look greasy and feel as if it's got a film on it.Just trying expensive shampoo which I have seen online.
Would it be possible for you to pm me with product you are using as we are not allowed to advertise.Thanks

ellie

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 10:32:42 AM »

Jennie have PM you......

Jenna

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 10:38:17 AM »

Hi Jennie,

Just to say you can now obtain a generic replacement for Gynest cream (although I haven't tried it yet). I am using Ovestin at the moment (as the replacement for Gynest was not available for my last prescription). Gynest and Ovestin are the same oestrogen (estriol), but Ovestin is more concentrated, so you use only a small amount and it is less messy.

I hope this helps!

Jenna x

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 10:42:51 AM »

Diet influences hair growth enormously along with supplements if you willing to give it a go, but it takes time.

Stress of any kind can effect hair growth too.

http://www.healthy-magazine.co.uk/supplement-solutions-what-to-eat-for-healthy-hair/

http://humancure.com/10-ways-to-thick-hair/

Use Pantene Clarifying shampoo and a very light conditioner so as not to weigh hair down. Ultimate Blends Conditioner with Lemon and Green tea is very good.

Morwenna

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 02:01:56 PM »

My hair started falling out in my mid forties - about five years before I commenced HRT. I think in my case it's hereditary. Both grandmother and great grandmother were nearly bald by the time they reached their seventies. HRT may be to blame in your case OP but many women suffer thinning hair at the time of menopause anyway, it's just one of the distressing symptoms that can accompany getting older  :-\

When my hair was shorter I was constantly washing it, back combing it and applying loads of products to give it a volume boost which I think exacerbated the shedding. I've found that growing it long and wearing it 'up' gives an illusion of more body and I only need to wash it once every three days or so. Sadly it looks like rat's tails when left loose and the vacuum cleaner is still always full of hair  :(

Jennie

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 03:25:32 PM »

Message for Ellie
Thank you for pm ...I have just started to use the shampoo the same brand as the lotion you use....I will try the lotion as well....cannot PM you apparently I need to have posted several times before this is allowed...
Thank you to others that have given advice ..much appreciated.

ellie

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 03:36:18 PM »

Jennie, give your hair a good towel dry before you use it, and only use a small amount.....about a five pence piece in the palm of your hand...

Jennie

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 04:23:21 PM »

Will do ....thanks for advice Ellie

karin

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 05:54:53 PM »

Snap! Im not on hrt now and still losing hair, im using a scalp tonic plus sea kelp tablets ( not for use if you have any thyroid conditions) i tried every expensive brand you find in salons and online for thinning hair and they dont help but its worth finding the one that makes your hair look its best condition. Try the hair sprinkles to 'fill out' any parting gaps, you can also get a sort of powder with a fine brush which blurrs out the see- through look of thin hair. I also have micro ring extensions which have no glue of any kind- they are professionally put in and sort of clipped in and you wash/swim etc as normal- i couldnt be without them!! Its such a pain isnt it, but its fine and fashionable to wear extensions or buns or clip in pony tails or fringes so its worth trying them out

AlbanyV

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 03:14:05 PM »

Are you eating foods that are beneficial to hair growth? I read here https://www.nanogen.com/how-to-make-your-hair-thicker that eating lots of protein, omega 3, iron and biotin are really important to thick hair. Perhaps up your intake of them to give your hair a fighting chance against the meds?