Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: magnesium and vit B 3  (Read 1340 times)

loripetal

magnesium and vit B 3
« on: May 17, 2018, 02:36:23 PM »

Hi there
I wondered if anyone has any experience and knowledge about taking magnesium and vitamins B6  for fatigue and to help with sleep?

I have not had period for about 7 months now. Was on citalopram which for me was not a good experience at all. Made me more anxious, lost sleep and tummy issues.... felt really dissociated , worse than normal. Off them now and ave heard about mag and  bit B6.

been taking magnesium 250mg for about 3 weeks, and same for bit b6. Just wondering bout dosage and others experiences and knowledge .

best wishes
Lorrane

Joaniepat

Re: magnesium and vit B 3
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 03:11:28 PM »

Loripetal, what type of magnesium are you taking? The most bioavailable is magnesium bisglycinate. The dosage is 1000 mg daily, split over 3 doses of 133  mg. I sleep well on this, taking the final capsule about one hour before bedtime.

Could you clarify which B vitamin you are taking, as your heading says B3 but the post says B6. (B3 is niacin, B6 is pyridoxine.) Actually I don't take either of these, so wouldn't be able to help anyway! But I'm sure someone on the forum will have the answer.

JP x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 07:09:05 PM »

Have you had your fatigue investigated - ie do you know that it is a consequence of vitamin or mineral deficiencies for which those supplements might be indicated? There are so many reasons for fatigue that it is important to have a thorough check over by your doc and including blood tests etc. If you haven't had a period for 7 months and in the absence of other things being wrong, then low oestrogen can also cause low mood and tiredness. Do you have any other symptoms eg flushes and sweats - or maybe the Citalopram stopped them for a while? Have you throught about HRT if you are able to take it? Depending on your age then this is recommended (or strongly advised if younger than average age of menopause) as first line of treatment for menopausal symptoms, not anti-depressants.  Of course it is a good time to take a look at your diet and make sure it is not deficient in any essential nutriebnts - and ideally lots of fruit and veg and unprocessed food cooked directly from fresh ingredients, and cutting out sugar, sugary drinks, refined carbs, and high fat/over-fried foods.

Sorry I can't help with those specific supplements as I've never taken them....

Hope your sleep improves :)

Peroxideblader

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 02:50:51 PM »

I take magnesium glycinate 400mg but sadly it has the opposite effect sleep wise it made my bad insomnia even worse..I take it at 8pm now but I get wired bloated and hesrt palpitations..I'm low b12 low folate low iron all these should be tested as they cause tiredness and a long list of other health issues..I'm stuck not knowing which is caused by my low levels or perimenopause as the symptoms are virtually identical. I'm supplemented magnesium iron vit c b12 folate k2 and vit d for over 2 months but felt no better. I've stopped them all now and I'm back to see the doctor for full bloods again that's what you need too I'd say