Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: First names - unwarranted use of  (Read 3363 times)

dulciana

Re: First names - unwarranted use of
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 10:08:23 AM »

When my daughter was about to start secondary we were mulling over which one till she said that the one she,d chosen allowed them to call teachers by first names and no uniforms needed.decision made! She went to the school of our choosing in her nice new uniform lol now that was 25 years ago and you know what  that particular school no longer has that policy it just didn't work.xx

I rest my case, Daisydot!  ::)

Daisydot

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 10:30:47 AM »

😘

Scampi

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 01:11:52 PM »

I think a lot of it is driven by the (perceived) problem of which honorary to give a woman.  It's easier to use the first name than wade through the minefield of Miss/Mrs/Ms and the attendant opportunities for offence!  Personally I much prefer my first name to 'Ms'. 

Joaniepat

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 01:51:33 PM »

When a title is used, I am always addressed as Mrs, even though the person does not know if that is the correct choice. I would far rather hear some sort of title plus surname than just forename. It is more courteous. It's an interesting thought though. I wonder if men are habitually addressed by their forenames nowadays. Does anyone know the answer to this?
JP x

Dorothy

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 02:02:05 PM »

How much time does it take to ASK someone how they would like to be called?!  I used to run a gardening business and always asked my clients.  Some of them preferred Mr/Mrs/Miss, some preferred their first names and a couple actually wanted to be called by a shortened/nickname.

I don't mind if someone calls me by my first name, but I do get annoyed if they then expect me to call them by their surname & title, which Doctors and nurses tend to expect. 

It could be worse though - I was in a shop recently where the person behind the counter addressed me as 'doll'.   :angryfire: 
Pages: 1 [2]