Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Anxiety off of the scale  (Read 1551 times)

Raindancer

• First Flush
Anxiety off of the scale
« on: April 20, 2018, 03:01:08 PM »

This is my second year or menopausal symptoms and luckily the joint pains and flushes are not too bad BUT the anxiety is unbearable at the moment! I am on evoril 50 patches for a trial period and I am still undecided whether or not to continue with them. I have a mirena coil which has to be removed in July after the 5 year period. Since March, I have lost a much loved dog to liver-cancer, my mother has been diagnosed with alzheimer's and now my husband has been referred to hospital urgently following high prostate levels. I am eating a healthy diet, meditating and walking, no caffeine or alcohol but I am still finding things very hard at the moment. I am due to see my gp on Tuesday to discuss things. There is such a wealth of information and support on this site which is keeping me going and for which I am grateful for - I needed to offload and rant. Any ideas on how to keep my sanity will be welcome as there are so many of you with such a wealth of experience. Thank you for reading my rant!

Snoooze

Re: Anxiety off of the scale
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 03:25:28 PM »

Hi Raindancer,
I'm not on HRT but I do struggle with anxiety. I've always had it though but it did become off the scale in peri then late last year it started easing off again and I would say I had a good six months but then around Feb/March, I had a lot going on and a lot of stressful things and the anxiety has come back with a vengence. I do think stress makes it worse. i'm also not sleeping well and that makes it worse as well. I have been eating healthy for over a month but can't say I've noticed any improvement in the anxiety.
There are a lot of ladies on here suffering with anxiety, so I'm sure they will offer you more advice. Just know that you are not alone.

racjen

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 06:16:00 PM »

Hi Raindancer, anxiety is most definitely a symptom of menopause - I never ever suffered from it until I was perimenopausal at 45, and now with sudden menopause due to chemotherapy it's become the bane of my life. It's partly about the balance between estrogen (the stimulating hormone) and progesterone (the calming hormone) - but for many of us that's not enough. Testosterone is really important in this as well - anxiety is a classic symptom of low testosterone, and most GPs don't routinely test for this. Many women on here have found it makes a huge difference, I'd recommend you go and get tested for this.

Joaniepat

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 08:14:07 PM »

Raindancer, racjen makes a good point about testosterone. I added this into my HRT regime in January. Although my anxiety was mainly a morning thing, and nothing like as severe as that of some members, it has gone completely now. I have also found it good for improving stamina (the main reason I asked for it), muscle strength and libido. However, I don't know how amenable GPs are in prescribing testosterone. Mine was prescribed at an NHS menopause clinic, but you could always ask.

Anyway, I do hope you feel better soon, whatever you decide to do. You have been through a lot recently.

JP x

Robin

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 08:30:20 PM »

Hi joaniepat, how long did it take to start feeling the effects of the testosterone?

Robin

Joaniepat

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 09:40:29 PM »

I replied on your other thread, but about 2 months and I think it is still a work in progress. Been using it since mid January.
JP x