Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: got a UTI brewing despite using vagifem, any advice  (Read 31658 times)

Dancinggirl

Re: got a UTI brewing despite using vagifem, any advice
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2018, 09:23:35 AM »

The bicarb will work to sooth the burning and using an antihistamine at night is a good idea.  Try buying Nytol from the chemist - the one with an antihistamine in it (not the herbal) -  as this will help you to sleep and should calm the bladder as well. Piriton is also good.
Phenazopyridine ( Pyridium) might be worth trying but the antihistamine may also work.  The discomfort of the during urethra is horrid - I sympathise.    DG x

Daisydot

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2018, 09:30:10 AM »

Keep taking the antihistamine sidse it will help to calm the bladder eventually it took a while to help calm mines down and my urethra pain was horrible.are you being careful with the dietary side of things as it can be an everyday food/drink that will kick off that inflammation,I darent touch tomatoes or cream sauces of any kind or even things like grapes and esp coffee so research the bladder friendly foods and avoid anything acidic,it's a long process it's taken me months to get to where I am now.good luck.x

JaneinPen

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2018, 09:37:36 AM »

Hi sidse,  I have been following your thread and was hoping you would begin to feel better. I had constant UTI's for more than six months last year and was given all the usual meds that are given. Eventually one off the more enlightened gp's decided that perhaps they should get the sample sent off for further testing as I was by then at the end of my tether and constantly in pain and crying because basically I couldn't go anywhere. The results showed a hard to treat bacteria and I was then prescribed  a very strong antibiotic (sorry I can't remember the name). After one week I didn't feel it had cleared and so was reluctantly given a second prescription. I say reluctantly because of course one prescription would usually work and doctors are not keen to let you keep taking AB's. Meanwhile the same gp  suggested going on Vagifem and I did the two week load and now do three times a week.  Getting the right diagnosis after many months of meds, tests at the hospital for bladder function, a cystoscopy etc. I finally got my life back so I would really recommend you asking for your sample to be sent off for a proper testing as this might be all that you need to get better and do keep on with the Vagifem. Good luck

sidse

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2018, 09:45:54 AM »

Thank you Herdwick. After my last UTI I was given Fosfomycin which none of the local chemists had and gp hadn't heard of. I didn't ask if that was given( in hospital) because of an unusual bacteria. I will ask for my sample to be tested in a lab. How did you mange to keep going over those six months?

sidse

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2018, 03:48:51 PM »

Have just found an unused bottle of Uta Ursi in my medicine cabinet and have given that a go - desperate!
Anyone else used it with success? I am feeling very weak today like I have the flu, don't know how I would be coping if it wasn't for my DP fetching and carrying for me.

Shadyglade

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2018, 06:11:38 PM »

If you are feeling that ill then it is almost certainly an infection. I would see if you can see an out of hours doctor. Can't remember the number but your surgery website should have it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2018, 08:07:06 PM »

Do let us know how you get on.  Do take a pain relief regularly and the vagifem, if necessary a small amount 3 times a day as well as in the night.

JaneinPen

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2018, 09:22:34 PM »

I found it really hard sidse. It wasn't until I finally got to report it to the same doctor three times in a row that she took a look at my notes and decided she needed to be proactive. I hate to say it but I also think it was because the other three gp's were men one of which twice said no need to take in a sample as I was obviously susceptible to UTI's and just prescribed the usual meds. Cancelling a trip to see our lovely grandchildren in London is what finished me off and I basically broke down on the phone and she could tell how much of a toll it was taking

sidse

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2018, 06:13:05 PM »

Well I have taken the sachet of Fosfomycin that I had after my last uti flare up so fingers crossed it may work. I have also used something called AZO which I got from amazon - it is supposed to numb the pain in the bladder. Hopefully will be able to get some sleep and a bit of respite.

JaneinPen

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2018, 06:33:45 PM »

Good luck

sidse

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2018, 11:31:18 AM »

Did manage o get some sleep but only because of AZO which can only be taken for a couple of days. Beginning to think I may have interstitial cystitis. Anyone else got that?

CLKD

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2018, 11:44:02 AM »

Get thyself a fresh urine sample and take it to the Surgery and ask for it to be sent to a Lab. for testing.

In the meantime, continue with pain relief and vagifem?

Taz2

« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2018, 12:21:40 PM »

If you've taken the Azo then there is no point in giving a new urine sample yet as it doesn't give a true picture. I'm not sure how long you have to wait but it should tell you on the instructions. It also messes with ketones results too.

Although your symptoms could be IC they are also spot on for vaginal atrophy especially the pain at the entrance to the urethra. Could your other medication be complicating things?

Taz x

sidse

« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2018, 12:48:21 PM »

Hi Taz, I knew about the AZO and sample. They are going to send the sample from Friday to the lab. It is difficult to know what is causing this. I will continue to use the vagifem daily and will take the antihistamine too as Daisy suggested. I really hope it is VA rather than IC as the former is more treatable. I also think that I am very run down after a period of not sleeping. And yes, I do think my other medication is complicating things but I have to keep taking it. Have you heard of Hiprex? It is recommended on the badder uk side. Really clutching at straws now.

CLKD

« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2018, 02:09:58 PM »

Tnx Taz, forgot about the time lapse required  :-\

Maybe sidse use more of the 'vagifem' i.e. 3 times a day?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10