Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Are patches better tolerated than pills?  (Read 2526 times)

Jasmine3234

Are patches better tolerated than pills?
« on: March 22, 2018, 09:54:04 PM »

Hi
I have been taking Femoston (initially 1/10 then 2/10) for nearly 9 months.  I have struggled through the initial side effects, hormone changes etc etc.

However, I now feel like I am going backwards with the benefits and some side effects are coming back.

Would a different route maybe help? 

Thanks x

Salad

Re: Are patches better tolerated than pills?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 10:30:19 PM »

I'm thinking you've given it a good try, if it's been 9 months, so a review chat with your GP would be an idea.
I prefer transdermal HRT as it is absorbed into the blood stream and bypasses being digested  :)
Plus I didn't tolerate the tablet I first tried.

Then, it's up to you to decide if you'd prefer having a patch on 24/7 or smooth in gel - benefits for both  :D

Daisydot

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 10:33:37 PM »

Agreed,I tried pills then patches and settled on Oestrogel pump as I get much better absorption and no problems with side effects.xx

Jasmine3234

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 10:37:37 PM »

Wow, thanks guys x 

I've struggled on and on thinking it would get better. 

So, in your opinions - patches or gel (bearing in mind I have to have the nasty progestogen!)

x

Daisydot

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 11:04:00 PM »

Hi jasmine I found I got dips when I used the patches so that days 1 and 2 I'd be feeling ok then by day three or four my sweats and poor sleep pattern were recurring so I spoke to menopause consultant and we agreed I should try the Oestrogel which I just put on my inner thigh each day and that gives me the consistent dose of estrogen which the patches didn't.I have had hysterectomy so only need the gel and vagifem pessaries for the V.A which cleared that up nicely but I think you'd be better to either get advice from one of our experienced ladies on what else you should be on or speak with your gp when your due for your review as suggested by salad.good luck x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 07:50:43 AM »

Oestrogel with seperate progesterone as either Utrogestan or Provera can be an excellent option. If you want  a real no hassle HRT regime then having the Mirena fitted (which suits over 90% of women) with Oestrogel alongside can be very good as this gives fewer side effects and better protection for the uterus so totally transdermal.
DG x

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 10:29:52 AM »

I had oestrogen pills for years with no problems, tried the same brand in patch and suffered an horrendous 4 day migraine, was at A&E twice before eventually being sick and it went but took the patch off after 24hrs

Tried a different patch and no side effects but was really sensitive to any increase in dose.  Moved on to oestrogel and will never try anything else.  It suits me perfectly and so easy to tweak doses x

Mary G

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 01:04:38 PM »

I would definitely recommend Oestrogel over patches, I found them too inflexible and they didn't work well.   I didn't like wearing a patch  either.

Jasmine3234

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 03:01:46 PM »

Thanks so much, I actually feel a bit of hope now!

I can't have the mirena as I haven't had kids, so would this mean adding in the progestogen as a tablet?  This seems to be the phase of Femoston that is worse for me?

Has anyone else got an opinion on this as I am going to see my GP armed with a request for the gels.

Thanks again
x
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 03:07:49 PM by Jasmine3234 »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 03:56:21 PM »

Yes you would need progesterone. Look under TREATMENTS on this site to see your options. It's either  Utrogestan or Provera so it would be trial and error finding the one that suits you. Print all the info off to show the GP.
DG x

sadielouise78

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 04:06:53 PM »

Hi Jasmine,

Why can't you have the Mirena coil because you haven't had kids?  I had one a couple of years back and I don't have any.  They tried to put it in at the doctors but I nearly passed out with the pain so I had to have it done as an outpatient at the hospital but it was painless when they did it there.

Sarah

Jasmine3234

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 04:39:52 PM »

Hi Sadie, it's just what the GP told me.  How did you get on with it?

I had previously been on Cerazette (POP) since 2003 (2 pills daily due to initial constant bleeding) and hadn't had a period since then.  When I started Femoston the GP told me to keep taking the cerazette, but it felt like progestogen overload and I felt dreadful.  I stopped the cerazette 6 months ago as I don't need contraception anyway.  Apparently cerazette is not licenced for use with oestogren, which is a shame as I tolerated that well.  Funnily enough the progestogen in Femoston is from the same group???  ???

I only have a very light withdrawal bleed about 4 days before the end of my progestogen phase of Femoston and I actually think I have been going through the menopause a lot longer than I initially thought.

Also, what dose of Oestrogel would I need if I need Femoston 2/10 (the 1/10 wasn't helping) and also what is the lowest does of progestogen I could have?

Sorry for so many questions, but it is very difficult for me to go out and I want to armed with as much info as I can.

Thanks x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 05:21:40 PM »

With Oestrogel, it's best to start low with one to two pumps per day as this will give a very good dose of oestrogen - transdermal can be more effective so you don't need as much. If after 4-6 weeks, 2 pumps per day isn't enough you can gradually increase to 3 or even 4 per day over several weeks till you feel right. DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 05:26:40 PM »

The other thing about pills (the oestrogen part) is that they can depress sex drive so from that point of view transdermal (patch or gel) would be better - if this is an important issue for you, or could be? I have only ever used patches - for 11 years and they are great for me - but just about to start gel due to snipping of patches (which I do) and doc not wanting to prescribe odd amounts!

Hurdity x

sadielouise78

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 05:28:42 PM »

Hi Jasmine,

I was cerazette but had lots of bleeding then moved on to Cerelle (mini-pill) and found that much better with periods trailing off to virtually nothing.  I went for the coil fitting as I had been on the pill for 30 years and was getting a bit sick of taking it every day.  I actually had a terrible time with the coil.  Lots of heavy bleeding and after 9 months my body tried to expel it as I was on all fours having, what I can only say, were contractions.  After that the doctor wipped it out, and I mean wipped it out.  I nearly lamped her one it was such a shock.  It didn't suit me but that doesn't mean it wouldn't suit others.  I am actually considering giving it another go.  You should definitely question your doctor though as I know a few people without kids that have it.

Sarah