Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Is it now menopause? Advice please!  (Read 1400 times)

Ambergirl

Is it now menopause? Advice please!
« on: March 11, 2018, 06:14:34 PM »

So, been having constant pain in groin and hip for last 3 weeks; been back to the doctor and had the results of some blood tests, although I don't know what they all were! I am low on iron so now taking liquid iron. She told me my hormones are way different than a few months ago and so did I want HRT which will delay the inevitable or would I just power on through? All I was told was that HRT increased risk of stroke/heart attack and it was just putting off what would happen anyway - not the most helpful advice!

I didn't know what to say as I still have this awful pain in the front of my right groin/lower abdomen and would HRT help this? An xray showed some subtle deterioration in my right hip but she said that wouldn't cause any pain and I just had an ultrasound which the person doing it said looked fine. Of course I am now thinking I must have some terrible cancer/tumour festering away and I don't know what to do next. I have an appointment on Friday with my gp to talk things through so any advice please?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 06:40:46 PM by Ambergirl »

Daisydot

Re: Is it now menopause? Advice please!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 06:54:13 PM »

What a dipstick of a gp Ambergirl they are just scaremongers I'm not kidding.Some of the more experienced ladies will come along and arm you with advice for your next appointment but meantime read up as much as you can from the forum.give some more info so that the ladies can help you ie age peri or post meno hysterectomy or not ,it'll all help with the relevant steps you need to take good luck xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 07:16:14 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Ambergirl

Your GP is taking rubbish. HRT does not delay the inevitable. The risks of stroke/ heart attack are extremely small and HRT will Protect your heart and bones for the long term and will also reduce the negative effects of urogenital atrophy. We get so angry about how poorly informed GPs still are when it comes to treating the menopause.
Read up all the info on this site to get clued up. Read the NiCE guidelines on meno treatment - which clearly states that HRT is the first line treatment!!!
The pain you are getting could be a torn ligament, soft tissue damage or typical
Menopause joint pain - if there was anything cancerous going on I'm sure this would have shown up on the scans - so stop worrying.
Do tell us how old you are? Have your periods stopped?
Are you getting flushes and night sweats?
DG x

Ambergirl

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 08:02:30 PM »

Hi Dancinggirl,

thanks for the positive message. I am 51, 52 later this year. Last year I had 6 periods in total and so far this year it's been 2. The GP said something about negative feedback loops which I didn't get quite get. I don't have any hot flushes but lots of odd pains, dry skin and some hair loss. I'm sure you are right about the scans but another feature of this pain has been being quite bloated and gassy and the health anxiety is something else that has started since I began this journey!
I will read up on NICE report before I see the doc this Friday and get clued up as you say!
Thanks.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 10:48:39 PM »

You do not have to  “power through” the menopause - what a ridiculous thing to say!!! The menopause can devastate the most powerful and determined women, robbing them of their sleep, mental abilities and confidence and leaving them unable function.  Quality of life is very important and no one can tell you when, if ever, the meno symptoms will get better - so tell that to your GP!!!! So much dries out and stops functioning well, when oestrogen levels drop.  Digestive problems e.g. gas, cramps, IBS etc. often emerge when meno hits - it's not just about flushes and night sweats.  You can also tell your GP that it has been proved that 5 years of HRT in your 50s can protect your heart and bones for the long term(actually lengthening your life by around 1 year on average!!) and if you already have some deterioration in the your hip joints then HRT should be prescribed to prevent osteoporosis developing too early.   

Eat small meals often, make these meals highly nutritious avoiding too much fat and sugar -  avoid caffeine and alcohol but drink enough water and try some Mindful Meditation to reduce the anxiety.  Small changes to lifestyle can make a big difference - taking 10 minute brisk walks 2-3 times a day can be a great way to start exercising to improve health and calm the mind.  HRT can reduce flushes, joint aches, improve energy and generally help so many things but it is just one part of a whole range of strategies.

Write down all your symptoms and questions  - print stuff off from this site, so you can discuss things more positively with the GP.  DG x